Sawyer (The Voice USA)

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
It goes without saying, but the Voice US has (again) been outclassing its British equivalent on almost every level again this year.

One stand-out contestant, who's battle and audition have already gone Top 10 on the US iTunes rock chart, is Sawyer Fredericks. He's just 15 but sings like he belongs in Canned Heat or Jefferson Airplane ... soul with a real folksy, rock-tinged grit.

His blind audition is a particular highlight.

I really wish we had a talented kid like he on ours.

Anyone else been keeping up with the Voice Season 8?

Mia Z and Sonic are also worthy of a shout-out.

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent thanks
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not impressed myself TBH, but then it's not my type of music.
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not impressed myself TBH, but then it's not my type of music.

Well I enjoyed it but I think your point is very relevant as his genre is massive in the States but not so hot here. British mentors have turned down his ilk before because the "don't know what to do with a singer like that" etc.

Another point is that he is younger than would be permitted over here and there is a bit of the awwwwww factor. Very talented mind you.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed it but I think your point is very relevant as his genre is massive in the States but not so hot here. British mentors have turned down his ilk before because the "don't know what to do with a singer like that" etc.

Another point is that he is younger than would be permitted over here and there is a bit of the awwwwww factor. Very talented mind you.

You are right with these points. I have quite liked India Cairney, who has a very soulful voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEyq8pzw0pI
  • abraaom1abraaom1 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mia Z is my favorite this season.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching when Pharrell joined, but Sawyer is great
  • Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have been keeping track of the program (also have been keeping a track of people who I'd have on my team :p).

I liked Sawyer's audition. We don't do as much of that kind of genre in the UK. He seems really original too.

I also loved Brooke Adee :)