Options

Germany and Austria on 0

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
The first since Jemini, if you discount the Semi Finals.

I think they just fell through the cracks - not bad but not dynamic enough to pick up any televotes.

Comments

• Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Gutted, I loved them both. You're right though, they just fell through the cracks.
  • Options
    PatheticFallacyPatheticFallacy Posts: 7,761
    Forum Member
    Austria were really unlucky being drawn slap bang in the middle of the final, but even besides that the Big 5 all did terribly with the exception of Italy and I think something needs to be done about the current way of dealing with them (either let them perform in semis without needing to qualify or remove the system entirely or anything other than what's in place now)
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel so bad for them, they deserved to do much better. :(
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing was never expecting a nil points but for two countries it was crazy
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like the German one really.

But the results in general are always a joke. The top 3 songs were all vastly overhyped, so people voted for them to try and decide the winner rather than vote independently taking into account ALL the songs.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Austria were really unlucky being drawn slap bang in the middle of the final, but even besides that the Big 5 all did terribly with the exception of Italy and I think something needs to be done about the current way of dealing with them (either let them perform in semis without needing to qualify or remove the system entirely or anything other than what's in place now)

Germanŷ won recently and Italy did well again.

It's not being Big 5 that is the issue - it's the songs.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am gutted for Ann Sophie. She deserved better.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epic fail by Austria. From Winner to Zero.

2 0s was just embarrassing.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Average songs performed poorly on the night, you had to have a good song and a gimmic or 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Average songs performed poorly on the night, you had to have a good song and a gimmic or 2.

An average song wins though. Basically you need hype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Epic fail by Austria. From Winner to Zero.

I'm viewing it as a Europe-wide punishment to ORF for their abysmal hosting ;-)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the first time a country has won the contest and then hosted it and gone from a win to nil points?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Germany won with an overhyped song. It's all about hype. Italy gets publicity every year, the only way they fail is if the performance is terrible, their song this year was very average.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Absolutely it has nothing to do with the big 5 it is all about the songs that's why austria won last year and got 0 this year.
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Is this the first time a country has won the contest and then hosted it and gone from a win to nil points?

I think so especially in modern times.

First time since 1983 we've had more then 1 null point countries.
  • Options
    topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Think it might be, the last I can remember was 2003 when Latvia came second to last above only Jemini .
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

1997 had Portugal and Norway, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It happened in 1997 too (Portugal and Norway) ^_^
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now that is a surprise and makes our 5 points seem even more pitiful in that historical context.

It did as others say happen in 1997 with Norway's Tor Endresen and Portugal's Celia Lawson in the year the UK came 1st and won, oh the heady days.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's incredible, give the vast number of countries voting nowadays I didn't think it possible that anyone could get 0 any more. Certainly very shocked that Austria scored 0.
  • Options
    davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Germany should have known better than let a Brit write their song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically not even Germans voted for Germany tonight, or there would have been a few points from Spain, Switzerland and Austria for Germany.

Problem was that Ann Sophie wasn't the first choice. The public had voted for a man who seemingly couldn't handle the stress of it.

I didn't expect Austria to end with 0 points though. I thought we'd give them something.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    It's incredible, give the vast number of countries voting nowadays I didn't think it possible that anyone could get 0 any more. Certainly very shocked that Austria scored 0.
    I remember some maths bod explaining it one year. You have to be in the top 10 of a country's voting to score. So an act could get the 11th best set of votes from each country (technically making it the 11th best act) and still end up with no points.

Edit: A fairer way to do it would be to give points for every country's full order of 26 votes. So 26 down to 1 or 25 down to 0 if you like.
  • Options
    Nick_PirceNick_Pirce Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for Ann Sophie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most are bandwagoners, they vote for what they think might win based on publicity, and songs that get no hype are in trouble.