Ticket Prices for Man Utd away match

Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone help with ticket prices please.

I've not been to a football match in many, many years, and promised my son I'd take him to a local match to see Man Utd away. I live in Somerset, so that means Swansea, Bournemouth or Southampton.

Fixtures have come out and there's a late August match at Swansea. Had a look online last night, and the cheapest prices seem to be £130 each. Having not won the lottery recently, I can't afford that. Are football fans rich these days?

Can anyone explain to me why the prices I'm seeing are so high - tbh about 3 times what I expected - hopefully with some advice as to how to see Man Utd away locally without taking out a second mortgage.

Comments

• jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Where were you looking, some rip off ticket agency? Thought it was stupidly high so I looked on the Swansea official website and they don't have any ticket prices up yet for this game.

Copied from the football fans guide (presumably last year's prices but probably won't be much different for the upcoming season) :
    Like a number of clubs, Swansea have a category system (A & B) for match tickets, whereby the most popular games cost more to watch. Category A prices are shown below, with Category B prices in brackets.

All areas of the stadium:

Adults £45 (B £35)
    Over 60's £22.50 (B £17.50)
    Full Time Students £22.50 (B £17.50)
    Under 16's £22.50 (B £17.50)
    Disabled supporters are admitted at the relevant price above, a helper is admitted free.

Category A games are: Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Where were you looking, some rip off ticket agency? Thought it was stupidly high so I looked on the Swansea official website and they don't have any ticket prices up yet for this game.

Copied from the football fans guide (presumably last year's prices but probably won't be much different for the upcoming season) :

Thanks very much. Appreciated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will tickets become available for the end of August match?
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will tickets become available for the end of August match?

Maybe about a month before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Maybe about a month before.

Thanks.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone help with ticket prices please.

I've not been to a football match in many, many years, and promised my son I'd take him to a local match to see Man Utd away. I live in Somerset, so that means Swansea, Bournemouth or Southampton.

One of my friends with benefits is an exiled Bournemouth fan, and he says the away tickets will be around £33 each (and around £19 for your son).
  • Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    One of my friends with benefits is an exiled Bournemouth fan, and he says the away tickets will be around £33 each (and around £19 for your son).

Dont you need to be United ST holder for donkeys years and apply for every away european match to even have a chance of getting an away ticket at such a small away ground..

Unless the OP is talking about covertly sitting with the locals.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »

They're making hay whilst the sun shines, we paid £26 for away tickets there a couple of months ago. I suppose they're still quite cheap by rip off Premier League standards though - and still £2 and £3 cheaper than Norwich and Leeds respectively charged us in the Championship.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,327
    Forum Member
    Your unlikely to get any away tickets from United, for one you have to be a member of United, then as the previous poster mentioned United have a away pot system, where by those who constantly apply are in the first pot to obtain the tickets, and they only stay in the first pot if they apply for every game. A miss and they have to start at the bottom again. I know of people in the first pot, who haven't not applied for tickets away from home for around 18 years or more now.

One way you may get tickets is by joining a United fan club nearby, they may be able to give you a better chance of a ticket. Mind the best chance you'll have is possibly applying for a United cup game. I would have said apply for a United league game, but they have released every game on sale (except City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea), and only the odd tickets are free, and none together from what I gather for the whole season.

The final option is to push the boat out like a friend of mine did, and go to Old Trafford and do an executive/VIP deal. It cost him £99 per ticket, but that included tickets, meal, Q&A with a former player and stuff. My friend said it was actually worth the money in the end, even though United lost on the day.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    Your unlikely to get any away tickets from United, for one you have to be a member of United, then as the previous poster mentioned United have a away pot system, where by those who constantly apply are in the first pot to obtain the tickets, and they only stay in the first pot if they apply for every game. A miss and they have to start at the bottom again. I know of people in the first pot, who haven't not applied for tickets away from home for around 18 years or more now.

One way you may get tickets is by joining a United fan club nearby, they may be able to give you a better chance of a ticket. Mind the best chance you'll have is possibly applying for a United cup game. I would have said apply for a United league game, but they have released every game on sale (except City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea), and only the odd tickets are free, and none together from what I gather for the whole season.

I read it as him wanting to take his son to a local game when Man Utd play away rather than wanting a Man Utd away ticket. I could be wrong.
    Forum Member
    I know, but the idea of getting into the away end for said games, is next to improbable with the way United get rid of tickets for away games. The only way would be to get tickets into the home end for the local games, and I don't know what the chances are like for that. That's why I suggested if as it sounds he's a United fan to try to get to Old Trafford.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    I recall when Derby was in the Premier League a few years back. It was a b@gger to get home tickets for the big matches because of the large proportion of season tickets holders and the huge demand for left over tickets due to the novelty factor of Derby being in the Premier League! So even trying to sneak in with the home crowd of a smaller club can be difficult for the big category matches.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you're a member at any PL club the chances of getting a ticket when the big boys are in town are going to be pretty small.

For the kind of ticket prices being quoted by the OP it might be worth looking at hospitality tickets for the game. You'll probably get a meal, free programme and decent seats compared with dealing with some dodgy ticket agency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. Appreciated. The VIP thing seems nothing like £100 each on the Man Utd website.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Not man utd, obviously but since leeds were relegated from premier league in 2004 every team.we have played ups their prices,for leeds games AND you have to be on the home teams database with at least 2 games,previous history to.buy tickets for leeds games games at Charlton /Sheffield Wednesday end last season.nothing games but despite half grounds empty they (home clubs) refused to sell tickets without previous history
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Not man utd, obviously but since leeds were relegated from premier league in 2004 every team.we have played ups their prices,for leeds games AND you have to be on the home teams database with at least 2 games,previous history to.buy tickets for leeds games games at Charlton /Sheffield Wednesday end last season.nothing games but despite half grounds empty they (home clubs) refused to sell tickets without previous history

That unfortunately, is because you are Leeds. There are a few teams who's reputation precedes them.

As for the OP, you are probably more likely to get a sack full of rocking horse manure than an away ticket for United if you're not a regular.
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »

I only quoted prices for last season, and I didn't expect a jump like that.. All I know is that trying to get tickets for any United games with the exception of cup games will be tough, as they've already put all the games on sale except for the "big" games. I've heard plenty of complaints, over this system.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit late to the party. Would you consider taking your son to Aston Villa vs Manchester United? Don't know where in Somerset you are, but Birmingham is only about 15 miles further away from Taunton than Swansea is by road and you said you'd be willing to go there.

Putting it forward as a suggestion as the other teams have smaller stadiums, are all on the rise and at the height of their popularity right now. Swansea is a sell-out every week, Southampton nearly every week (it's only against the more unfashionable teams that they're not) and I'm sure Bournemouth will be at capacity for every match with it being the first time they've been in top division.

Aston Villa have struggled to fill Villa Park in the past 2 or 3 years and I'd often see empty seats when they were on the tv. Last season their biggest attendance was against United, but if you compare the attendance to official capacity it looks like they still had room for 1000 more or so people. They might be a bit more popular this upcoming season with the fans seemingly a lot happier with Tim Sherwood as their manager and getting to the cup final, although it still could be a decent bet for a ticket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to the party. Would you consider taking your son to Aston Villa vs Manchester United? Don't know where in Somerset you are, but Birmingham is only about 15 miles further away from Taunton than Swansea is by road and you said you'd be willing to go there.

Putting it forward as a suggestion as the other teams have smaller stadiums, are all on the rise and at the height of their popularity right now. Swansea is a sell-out every week, Southampton nearly every week (it's only against the more unfashionable teams that they're not) and I'm sure Bournemouth will be at capacity for every match with it being the first time they've been in top division.

Aston Villa have struggled to fill Villa Park in the past 2 or 3 years and I'd often see empty seats when they were on the tv. Last season their biggest attendance was against United, but if you compare the attendance to official capacity it looks like they still had room for 1000 more or so people. They might be a bit more popular this upcoming season with the fans seemingly a lot happier with Tim Sherwood as their manager and getting to the cup final, although it still could be a decent bet for a ticket.

Thanks. I would, yes. How can I get reasonably priced tickets to be with the Man Utd fans?
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I would, yes. How can I get reasonably priced tickets to be with the Man Utd fans?

Have you asked about tickets on any Manchester United fora?

I'd guess that would be the best way to get tickets for away games when you don't qualify to get from the club.