Options

Really Noisey 9200T

simolasimola Posts: 313
Forum Member
I have just traded in my Humax 8000T for the 9200T. One of my criteria for a PVR is that it must be quiet, the 8000 was fantastic but the 9200 is terribly loud. It is like having a fly buzzing round the room, it really does your head in.

I have a TV stand that houses the DVD player and 9200T, one on top of each other. This is where I believe the problem lies. If I lift the 9200T off the DVD the humming pretty much stops, as soon as I put it down again it starts. One thing that I am considering is building a shelf within the unit which to just put the 9200 on which may help.

If the new shelf doesn’t work, it’s going to have to go back as the noise really impacts viewing pleasure. Has anyone else had this problem and would a replacement unit fix it? Or has anyone got any tips to get round it?

Is my love affair with Humax over? Hope not.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Barry.WilliamsBarry.Williams Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simola wrote:
    I have just traded in my Humax 8000T for the 9200T. One of my criteria for a PVR is that it must be quiet, the 8000 was fantastic but the 9200 is terribly loud. It is like having a fly buzzing round the room, it really does your head in.

I have a TV stand that houses the DVD player and 9200T, one on top of each other. This is where I believe the problem lies. If I lift the 9200T off the DVD the humming pretty much stops, as soon as I put it down again it starts. One thing that I am considering is building a shelf within the unit which to just put the 9200 on which may help.

If the new shelf doesn’t work, it’s going to have to go back as the noise really impacts viewing pleasure. Has anyone else had this problem and would a replacement unit fix it? Or has anyone got any tips to get round it?

Is my love affair with Humax over? Hope not.

Thanks

3 possibilites. A faulty Fan, Mechnical Vibration or Electrical Interference. You imply its humming and it stops if you lift it off so I suspect Electrical Interference if so its not faulty you just have it too close to the DVD. Either a Shelf or something to space them a few inches apart should stop it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Most people find the 9200t very quiet. Noise is only a problem if it is standing on something that resonates. In this case, all you need to do is to stand it on something that will dampen the vibrations. Try searching this forum for:
    • squash balls
    • mouse mats
    • felt washers
    • corks
    • etc. etc.
    My 9200t is in a wooden cabinet, and was quite loud until I stood it on some felt washers. Now I barely hear it.