the one with the pigeon

doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
Forum Member
did no one else find it strange that when clara's nan was telling her story in time of the doctor, clara's dad kept insisting she tell the one about the pigeon instead. if he'd said it just once it would have felt like just some passing bit of dialogue but the way he kept saying it made it seem like it was more significant,I mean, what was the point of it otherwise. I don't know if i've spent too long reading crazy theories on this forum but the fact that the dad was so insistent and then it came to nothing keeps making me think they were sewing the seeds for some crazy story arc where clara meets the love of her life in a pigeon related scenario and then through some timey wimey actions becomes her own nan. am i reading to much into this?

Comments

• CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    :D:D

Yes, it raised a chuckle at the time. He really did want to hear the 'one with the pigeon' didn't he?
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    but was it more than just a comedy moment?, that what im asking?
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but was it more than just a comedy moment?, that what im asking?

I thought so too and have some crazy theories, lets wait and see :)
    Forum Member
    Not sure.:)

The introduction to Clara's family, ineffective Dad, bossy mum and nice grandparent, (I am assuming that is who they were,can't remember) might have been a set up for more appearances in series 8 or maybe they were all a one off like Amy's friends in The Eleventh Hour'

As for it being some sort of future story about Granny having had a few adventures in the past with the Doctor then I haven't a clue. :D
    Forum Member
    well im totally claiming a win if my own nan theory pans out
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It didn't mean anything beyond that scene. Why would it? Why do people act as if DW has always had these really subtle things hidden away in the Moffat era? There never have been. All the ones that were claimed turned out not to be true. The only one that was approaching subtle was The Two Doctors in S5 and I don't know many people who didn't twig that pretty quickly.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure.:)

The introduction to Clara's family, ineffective Dad, bossy mum and nice grandparent, (I am assuming that is who they were,can't remember) might have been a set up for more appearances in series 8 or maybe they were all a one off like Amy's friends in The Eleventh Hour'

As for it being some sort of future story about Granny having had a few adventures in the past with the Doctor then I haven't a clue. :D

Do you not watch the show? Her mum died about 10 years ago.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it was significant, tbh. Dad wanted Gran to tell a funny family story, but she wanted to talk more deeply about her late husband, which connected strongly with Clara, who was feeling her own loss. Nice scene, got all misty eyed.

Or, thinking laterally, maybe Dick Dastardly is next season's 'Big Bad'? ;-)
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Do you not watch the show? Her mum died about 10 years ago.

Yes, however I am not rain man, and there will no doubt be a kazillion things I have watched over the years and forgotten a detail or two, especially if I haven't re watched them.

Hence I posted
    'I am assuming that is who they were,can't remember'

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, however I am not rain man, and there will no doubt be a kazillion things I have watched over the years and forgotten a detail or two, especially if I haven't re watched them.

Hence I posted

Go upstairs and tidy your room and think on your errors! :D:p
    Forum Member

Hence I posted

the question is, did moffat actually forget that little detail because they really did show it as if that was her mum
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Go upstairs and tidy your room and think on your errors! :D:p

Ok the games over, I am Rufus Hound..
    Forum Member
    the question is, did moffat actually forget that little detail because they really did show it as if that was her mum

Must have been evil step mum then.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It didn't mean anything beyond that scene. Why would it? Why do people act as if DW has always had these really subtle things hidden away in the Moffat era? There never have been. All the ones that were claimed turned out not to be true. The only one that was approaching subtle was The Two Doctors in S5 and I don't know many people who didn't twig that pretty quickly.

Killjoy :( I'm going to sulk in the corner now, err and not post for like 5 minutes or something :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    did no one else find it strange that when clara's nan was telling her story in time of the doctor, clara's dad kept insisting she tell the one about the pigeon instead. if he'd said it just once it would have felt like just some passing bit of dialogue but the way he kept saying it made it seem like it was more significant,I mean, what was the point of it otherwise. I don't know if i've spent too long reading crazy theories on this forum but the fact that the dad was so insistent and then it came to nothing keeps making me think they were sewing the seeds for some crazy story arc where clara meets the love of her life in a pigeon related scenario and then through some timey wimey actions becomes her own nan. am i reading to much into this?

Nine years ago I published a novel in which the main protagonist ended up in the past and turned out to be her great, great grandmother. The novel was full of 'timey wimey' and it was incredibly hard to try and iron out plot holes - and I'm sure some plot holes still remain.

So I have great admiration for all of Steven Moffat's mind-boggling time travel stories because I have first hand experience of trying to make sure the convoluted bits make sense.
    Forum Member
    so what your saying is if my theory is right then moffat has to pay you for nicking your idea:D