Is it normal to have shadows in corners on LED LCD TVs?

Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
I've recently purchased a new Samsung UE32F5000 LED LCD TV and until now have been over the moon with the picture.

However yesterday evening I launched the netflix app via my TIVO box and when the logo came up on a red background I noticed that all for corners of the TV had a 2 inch or so dark shadow around them.

It isnt noticable in scenes containing dark colours, but is very noticable and off putting on scenes involving bright colours, such as panning the sky or white painted walls in the background etc.

Is this normal on a new TV do you think? Should I let the TV 'bed in' as it were or do you think it's an issue I should address with the seller?

Any advice gratefully recieved :)

Cheers,

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound normal to me, but maybe it's something unique to Netflix. What's it like on all the other sources you have connected and via the TV tuner? Is it doing it today as well? My Samsung certainly doesn't have dark shadows in the corners but I don't use Netflix.

Have you tried using a different TV? Don't know whether this would help: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57596683-285/how-to-access-hidden-netflix-streaming-settings/
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes I can see the shadows on normal TV on lighter scenes too. I just switched it on to BBC1 and I can see it on the lighter background shots.
    It is also the same on the PS3.

I think I'll nip into Currys this afternoon and check the display model there to see if it suffers from the same thing.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I reckon you'll get more answers if you wait a couple of hours, and from TV professionals rather than me. How long have you had the TV? Oh, and have you checked all the connections in case there's a loose cable?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at reviews of that set, it's supposed to have good screen uniformity, with direct lit LED backlighting rather than edge lit, so perhaps your one is faulty?

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue32f5000-201308253262.htm
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »

I think I'll nip into Currys this afternoon and check the display model there to see if it suffers from the same thing.

Did you and what were your conclusions?

If you're not happy with the TV and/or you consider that it's faulty explain to Currys that you want it sorted especially as it's only a 'recent' purchase