Would you disown a family member?

StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
Forum Member
✭✭
I'd love to disown my cousin but as I only only see him once every couple of years it'd be a bit pointless. Plus it could be awkward at family gatherings - "Sorry, can't chat, I've disowned you"

Have you/would you disown a family member? What would make you go that far?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd disown if one of them was a nonce.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd disown if one of them was a nonce.

:D what a load of nonce sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylar wrote: »
    :D what a load of nonce sense.

:D:D:D
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everytime a guy runs scared from his pregnant (immediately upon hearing the news) ex girlfriend... he's disowning a family member!
  • Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, you never know when you might need them :p
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to disown my cousin but as I only only see him once every couple of years it'd be a bit pointless. Plus it could be awkward at family gatherings - "Sorry, can't chat, I've disowned you"

Have you/would you disown a family member? What would make you go that far?

I did this once but every time I rang him to give him the bad news he was never in and he never bothered to return my call - I rang - I left text messages - Voicemail messages - emails - carrier pigeon ..........

I THINK HE GOT THE MESSAGE :cool:
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, you never know when you might need them :p

Fair point, but I can't envisage any situation where I would need a rude, pointless, chauvinistic twit with a tenuous grasp on reality and a vile temper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair point, but I can't envisage any situation where I would need a rude, pointless, chauvinistic twit with a tenuous grasp on reality and a vile temper.

Set him up with a girl you really hate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylar wrote: »
    Set him up with a girl you really hate?

I don't hate anyone that much:eek:
  • zmikeozmikeo Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My O/H has been disowned by her sister !
    what more can I say, because of the mother we have tried to contact through mail and phone with no results and as we aren't bothered we have given up.
    It was awkward but we find it funny now as she will avoid us if they see us and take her two kids to avoid us.
    Only 2 years ago we used to live a good stones throw from each other and use the same shops. Not often nearly colliding and at that time for some reason we used to help with the not seeing each other. I used to joke that she must have CCTV so she new if we were at the shops.
    But now if there is any avoiding to do they must do, which they did about 2 weeks ago. We were in a Toby Carvery and they came in, upon seeing us they departed and hopefully didn't find anywhere else to eat:D .
    The Kids are still allowed to meet with the Grandmother as the Go-between:D
    Thats the trouble with religion in families, their religion
    Getting close to 10 years and ongoing :yawn:

[highlight]Families Don't you just hate them[/highlight]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont get on with my sister but I wouldnt disown her. She is family after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I have been disowned.

Doesn't bother me now, though. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont get on with my sister but I wouldnt disown her. She is family after all.

I've had some major rows with my sister and there have been times I've avoided her, but I could never disown her. Spoilt little madam that she is.:D
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    I am thinking about disowning 2 of my cousins. They are horrible nasty vindictive b*tches.

Don't speak to them anyway
  • TrucibelleTrucibelle Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    I disowned my entire family and never been so happy. The old adage is so true...you can choose your friends, but not your family. Doesn't mean you have to like them or be in contact though!

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't disown anybody unless they were a rapist/murderer or I really, really hated them. Maybe if they were making my life a total misery as well.

Luckily I can't think of anyone like that- I wouldn't want to disown anybody.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have disowned my father (although he may argue he disowned me) and my brother has for so many reasons I wont bore you with the details. This happened 9 years ago

I am now no longer in contact with any of my family I had an arguement with my mother just over a year ago, most of it was in relation to what my father had done in the past of which appears to hold me responsible for (these are things that happened when I was a child) and because I told her I didnt want to see her again she made up a load of fairy tale stories to my brother nan aunts etc etc and they have all disowned me believing the words of a minipulating witch.

I have moved 120 miles away and the only family I have are my husband and daughter. But in all honesty I have never been happier.
  • Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    I don't know yet. However, I compare them to chains holding me back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Depends on what they did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and I have.

I've disowned my uncle, aunt and 5 of my cousins. They want to treat my grandmother like crap, I don't want anything to do with them.

Oh, I also disowned 3 great aunts for the same reason.

Familys - don't ya just love them?!
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd only ever disown a family member if they killed another family member.
  • TrucibelleTrucibelle Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    icelady wrote: »
    I have disowned my father (although he may argue he disowned me) and my brother has for so many reasons I wont bore you with the details. This happened 9 years ago

I am now no longer in contact with any of my family I had an arguement with my mother just over a year ago, most of it was in relation to what my father had done in the past of which appears to hold me responsible for (these are things that happened when I was a child) and because I told her I didnt want to see her again she made up a load of fairy tale stories to my brother nan aunts etc etc and they have all disowned me believing the words of a minipulating witch.

I have moved 120 miles away and the only family I have are my husband and daughter. But in all honesty I have never been happier.

Wow, are you from MY family?

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd only ever disown a family member if they killed another family member.

Really? What if one of them had raped and slaughtered a load of kids?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trucibelle wrote: »
    Wow, are you from MY family?

quite possibly lol on both parents sides there are hundreds of them, mind you christmas and birthdays are so much cheaper these days :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My family would have to do something pretty horrendous for me to disown them. We are all grown adults now so we can work through any disagreements tht surface. As for the younger ones, well none of us were perfect and we've all done things that we regret to a lesser or greater degree.