Blu-ray dvd player question?

I am thinking of buying a blu-ray dvd player to go with my LCD tv 42, HD Ready but i just want to know that will my lost and 24 dvds work in a blu-ray dvd player?

Also does anyone know if they have any philips blu-ray dvd player as my LCD Is a philips or will any blu-ray player work on any LCD?

Any help would be great thank you. :)

Comments

• dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as your dvd's are Region 2 then they will play.

Multiregion Bluray players are out there but they are pricey and not that easy to find at the moment.

Any UK player will not play R1 dvd's or any Region A Bluray discs - but 75% of US Bluray discs are region free but you should check before buying.

Unless the Bluray player you are looking at is under £200 you should buy the PS3 at the moment as its far better than any
    standalone players

As long as your tv has an HDMI input you can connect any Bluray player for HD.

At the moment mostly quality makes do Bluray players - Sony,Panasonic,Pioneer.

Luckily for Joe Public Philips dont seem to be doing them yet - and if the reliability of their dvd recorders is anything to go buy Philips gear is best avoided anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the Bluray player you are looking at is under £200 you should buy the PS3 at the moment as its far better than any standalone players

I'd debate that. Recently ditched a PS3 (mostly awful games so there were no benefits as a games machine) and got a Panasonic DMP BD50. Slightly more pricey but an amazing picture and swift-start up.
  • dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    I'd debate that. Recently ditched a PS3 (mostly awful games so there were no benefits as a games machine) and got a Panasonic DMP BD50. Slightly more pricey but an amazing picture and swift-start up.

I'd be surprised if any standalone was quicker at loading and unloading than a PS3.

Certainly the Sony player I tried was slow beyond belief.

Of course any current standalone is not only Profile 1.1 rather than Profile 2.0 (unimportant really but still relevent to some) and wont offer the web browser or hard drive of the PS3 on which my entire cd collection is stored.

I tried a standalone and then asked myself why should I pay a higher cost for a device that plays discs only when I could get a PS3 that did so much more.

Although a multiregion standalone will find its way into my system at some point I dont think I could do without the PS3 now - and I'm no gamer either

Joe need to also consider if he has additional HDMI inputs to connect Bluray if he already has Sky HD connected
  • joe_flanigan22joe_flanigan22 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if any standalone was quicker at loading and unloading than a PS3.

Certainly the Sony player I tried was slow beyond belief.

Of course any current standalone is not only Profile 1.1 rather than Profile 2.0 (unimportant really but still relevent to some) and wont offer the web browser or hard drive of the PS3 on which my entire cd collection is stored.

I tried a standalone and then asked myself why should I pay a higher cost for a device that plays discs only when I could get a PS3 that did so much more.

Although a multiregion standalone will find its way into my system at some point I dont think I could do without the PS3 now - and I'm no gamer either

Joe need to also consider if he has additional HDMI inputs to connect Bluray if he already has Sky HD connected

Yeah i have sky HD, It connects through HDMI 2 And i have HDMI 1 Still. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If like me you dont like the Games machine look of the PS3 & want a stand alone then go for the Samsung BD P1500, I have the the one before (1400) & would not swap it. At the time I bought it 8 months ago I tried most of the players about & this performed better than any at the time & has never let me down in over 90 BD discs played. I have no interest in PIP or Interactive I just want a great picture & sound so profile 1 is not an issue for me.

The BD P1500 however is profile 1.1 out of the box, updateable to profile 2 later, it's fanless unlike the PS3 which some say can be noisey (others don't agree). All in all it's getting good reviews & can be had for £185.

The 1400 has an amazing track record according to the trade it has the fewest returns of any similar product & has outsold the competition many times. So if the 1500 follows in it's footsteps it should be a winner:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But i am renting my blu-ray dvd player (sony) from martin dawes and its full HD As well. :D

I have to pay 17.99 weekly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But i am renting my blu-ray dvd player (sony) from martin dawes and its full HD As well. :D

What HD player isn't these days and I hope you mean a month because if that price is weekly you are being totally exploited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member

Assuming the player you are renting costs £200 or less. You after 11weeks you would have spent more money than the player costs to buy.

Instead of renting, just put £18 aside for 11 weeks and buy one. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    this guy asks the same type of question a lot.i think he really wants the world to know he is renting is equipment cos he is unemployed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaz101 wrote: »
    this guy asks the same type of question a lot.i think he really wants the world to know he is renting is equipment cos he is unemployed

Oh i am looking for work :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    i can see that -thats why you ask a lot of stupid questions on every part of your setup.would love to be a fly on the wall if you ever attend an interview-other applicants must be s*****g themselfs wondering if they stand a chance when the brain of britain is attending the interview :D
    just take a look at his other posts