Options

Empire US pace - season two

postitpostit Posts: 23,839
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now I'm well past the age of understanding hip-hop finesse (or the damn words!) but I DID enjoy the first season of Empire and was looking forward to season 2.

I've no clue how to do spoilers so I won't reveal too much - not that it's an intricate plot ;-) but I will just say that Chris Rock does not make a convincing tough guy, and it's stretching the boundaries of credulity to imagine that a court-appointed prosecutor would visit her client in prison with her chest hanging out.

Apart from that - meh, it passed the time.

Comments

• Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    I kinda lost interest in this show towards the end of season 1... I started watching the new episode yesterday and I just switched it off as I'm just finding it a bit boring now. Not really fussed if I watch it or not which is telling. I'll wait and here what others make of S2 and if it seems to be 'unmissable' then I'll catch up.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was putting this off because I wasn't ready to jump back in, but once I watched it I thought it was really good: music & production was top notch. I wish they would tone down the celebrity appearances though. And funnily enough, as much I like Chris Rock, I couldn't take him seriously as a 'big honcho' boss man.

Hope they tighten up the plots this season and pacing is slowed down a bit.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it but didn't enjoy this episode as much as Season 1, will see how this week's goes.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I liked the opening episode. So great stuff and it does seem like the OTTness is still there.

Even prison can't hold Lucious back. He outsmarted the hostile takeover and got rid of Frank the cannibal in one fell swoop as well.

I don't mind Jamal being tougher but I don't want him to be nasty. That being said, Cookie was undrhanded with the hostile takeover, so his anger did have some merit to it.

Michael came back as randomly as he was written out last time. Hope he's better utilised this season.

The rivalry with Jamal and Hakeem over albums will get tedious pretty fast too.

I liked Mimi out of the guest characters, 8/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I liked this one. I'm not getting too invested in the Lyon Dynasty plot because I'm betting Cookie, Andre, Hakeem and Anika will all actually be back at Empire sooner than later in some capacity but it's amusing enough though.

Jamal really is isolating himself from the rest of his family though with each episode which is sad to watch.

Hakeem's an idiot for leaking his album but his attempts of trying to form a girlband were amusing enough.

Lucious had some of the best moments of the episode - his scenes with Jamal/Andre, flashbacks to his mother, the recording session and of course, getting bail.

Snitch Bitch is a new favourite, 8/10
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked season 1, but this season is verging on the ridiculous. Shan't be watching any more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The episode wasn't my favourite but it had some good moments though. Cookie and Lucious trying to outdo each other, though Lucious won this round with nabbing that radio station and Valentina's.

It's sort of hard to care too much about Lyon Dynasty because you get the feeling that Cookie, Hakeem, Andre and Anika will all be back at Empire sooner than later or is that just me?

Cookie and Lucious's different reactions to the news of being grandparents was interesting too. Loving the flashbacks with Lucious and his mother and how they're informing his current relationship with Andre.

Jamal is better off in studio than running Empire, that's for sure, 7/10