Options

Mum wants a Netbook

My mum wants a netbook, have seen this 11.6" Acer for £249

http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_751_651713.html

I know it has the Z520 Atom, but all it would be used for is internet browsing/email. Not remotely interested in games, movies, HD stuff. The 10" netbooks are a little small and the 15" laptops are actually pretty bulky.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    It'll be fine. I have the 9" release date one, and it's happily running Windows 7, and Firefox and things with no problems.
  • Options
    Snow MartianSnow Martian Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    we were looking at the laptops in Tescos, the 17" ones are truly monstrous in size and i dont think id describe the 15.6" ones as that portable either.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U need to guage how often it is used 'on travels'.

The proper resolution 11.6" models are not bad.
    Yet middle ground 1.6KG 13" laptops can be quite cheap.
    As can 2.1KG 15.6" laptops.

edit - thinking about it this laptop is 12.4" and is perfectly usable. I never feel the need to use my 17" laptop in the other room.
    My 9" Acer One was too small except for travels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The acer has a resolution of 1366x768

where are these cheap 13" laptops?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum wants a netbook, have seen this 11.6" Acer for £249

http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_751_651713.html

I know it has the Z520 Atom, but all it would be used for is internet browsing/email. Not remotely interested in games, movies, HD stuff. The 10" netbooks are a little small and the 15" laptops are actually pretty bulky.

Be fine for browsing and doing stuff like that, but I would kick windows off it and put Linux on instead,.

I am sorting out a old Dell laptop, whihc have less power than the Atom chip, and with the owner permission I am putting Mint Linux on it. It will run better than Windows XP, more secure and will be fine for what they use it for.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One amongst many arriving is the Advent Altro at 1.6KG
    £350. A little cheaper with vouchers no doubt.
    Possibly on offer as Intel still wish prices to stay high for these CULV laptops.

It has a slow Core 2 single core CPU. My laptop is a similar Core Duo but with 2 cores and very fast. The single core is still faster than the Atom. Immensely faster in some benchmarks.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49303546,00.htm
    Advent reviews are usually slanted.
    Glossy screen not good outside can apply to every laptop bar a few
    More sensible to also compare it to other new ones but that would take work.
    By reading that review one would think 1.6KG heavy.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acer has a resolution of 1366x768

where are these cheap 13" laptops?

I have a refurbished Dell D400 I bought on BigPockets for £150. They ran out, but they do regularly get similar machines in for similar price. They're old but good.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found that the 13" laptops are very expensive (at least new ones). They seem to be more expensive than 15.x" ones most of the time.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its a 15" but If you're interested I see this Dell Inspiron now come with standard with a LED screen and a 6 cell battery for £333, previously the LED screen was a £10 upgrade. The 6 cell battery is a £5 upgrade!

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&oc=N0054502&dgc=AF&cid=5212&lid=122756
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy all evening tapping away on my 12" Samsung in front of the telly. Both the resolution and the weight are entirely comfortable for use on the lap. A 13" would probably be OK, but my 15" laptops are definitely more comfortable on a table top, partly because of the weight but also because of the heat they generate. For light use I'd say go for a netbook - but go for 11.6"/12", not the smaller ones unless mobility is a real requirement.
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    has she used one?
    or has she been sucked in by hype. make sure she knows what shes getting into. small netbook screens and keyboards are esp bothersome to the older folks.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    frasera wrote: »
    has she used one?
    or has she been sucked in by hype. make sure she knows what shes getting into. small netbook screens and keyboards are esp bothersome to the older folks.

Being one of them (57) I entirely agree, I was using one a few weeks ago and found both things you mention to be a problem, ok for a short time but would not be able to use one full time.
    Not having an internal cd/dvd drive would also put me off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I love the netbooks, i have 2, one is a Toshiba 8inch screen and the other is Samsung 10inch screen and i find them both good, my son uses the 8inch and i have the 10inch, i have a desk top pc but would rather use the netbook on my knee while watching tv sitting in comfort, besides the desk top pc is a few yrs old now and runs a bit slow now and again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Being one of them (57) I entirely agree, I was using one a few weeks ago and found both things you mention to be a problem, ok for a short time but would not be able to use one full time.

i use memory sticks, no need for a cd/dvd drive, unless of course you want to play cd/dvd, but you can buy external ones!
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »

hell it bothers me. smart phones justify their crampiness. they fit in your pocket after all. netbooks esp those that are growing to the 9-10" range are not even purse size anymore, basically the size difference between netbooks and laptops is becoming smaller as netbooks grow, but the usability still suffers with little actual portability advantage. netbooks mostly a toy for those who already have a full size laptop/desktop.
    wirralian wrote: »
    i use memory sticks, no need for a cd/dvd drive, unless of course you want to play cd/dvd, but you can buy external ones!

course add such costs and you've bought a laptop;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, just found this 12.1" Lenovo netbook now

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_S12_655914.html

What do you think about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, just found this 12.1" Lenovo netbook now

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_S12_655914.html

What do you think about it?

Well, I have the 10" version, the S10e, and it's perfectly okay.

I wiped XP and installed the RC version of Windows 7, along with Office and Project. It takes a bit longer to boot than I'd ideally like, but for something to take on a trip or to do a bit of surfing/email in front of the TV it's fine.

If you're really impatient, the SlashTop linux OS loads almost instantly (it's on a separate internal flash memory chip) and gives you wifi access, a web browser, Skype and email.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really see the point of netbooks unless a weight saving is a significant advantage for you.

For my truly mobile requirements a PDA with wireless is fine for me. If I want to do serious surfing it's a laptop or my dual-22"-screen tower.
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of netbooks unless a weight saving is a significant advantage for you.

Price. That's what's luring the masses in to the netbook fad. It's the promise of a whole new PC that doesn't take up an entire corner of a room for around 250 quid. Yes, we know they're hugely compromised in what they can do, but to the masses who see a PC as a necessary evil rather than something they have any interest in, the cheapest piece of tat they can find will do.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »

Isnt that the point of a laptop though?

15.6" and 17.3" laptops are not portable in my opinion and are really neat desktop replacements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17" ones I'd tend to agree....a bit big. 15.x" ones while it doesn't sound much smaller do seem to be considerably more portable - and fit in 'standard' laptop bags/cases.
  • Options
    Mazrim TaimMazrim Taim Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I have the Acer Aspire One, bought in Canada for £186, then got a 12 cell battery from HK and get 9 hrs using normal progs and appx 5hrs with video. The 12 cell battery cost £44.

I do only use when travelling, but am very pleased with it.

Being over sixty years old, I am one of the "Old duffers" not having a problem. :D

Maz
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just be sure the screen will be big enough. The menu's and desktop items are tiny on a 8in screen, and not much better on a 10in screen. I had a little play around with a 10in version, and the items on the screen were too small for me. Also, due to the small screen area and little icons/menu items, selecting these can be tricky. Myself, I found that a 12in screen (which I think means a full laptop) was the smallest I could use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I have the Acer Aspire One, bought in Canada for £186, then got a 12 cell battery from HK and get 9 hrs using normal progs and appx 5hrs with video. The 12 cell battery cost £44.

I do only use when travelling, but am very pleased with it.

Being over sixty years old, I am one of the "Old duffers" not having a problem. :D

Maz
    You're very rare. Can you be my grandad? :D