Car Tax Disc Question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Howdy -

So I've recently moved house and stupid me forgot to change the address with the DVLA.

I realised this when I noticed my tax disc is about to run out and I obviously didn't get the reminder (which went to the old place, but that's locked up and uninhabited, so I can't even get the reminder from there).

Now is it like the old days where you can go into a post office and hand over your V5C? Someone I know said no, I have to go to a local DVLA office. That's in Dirty Leeds, but I assume I only need to take the V5C there, change the address (insurance and MOT is online, so they'll check it that way? - pain finding the documentation) and I can get the disc there and then?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howdy -

So I've recently moved house and stupid me forgot to change the address with the DVLA.

I realised this when I noticed my tax disc is about to run out and I obviously didn't get the reminder (which went to the old place, but that's locked up and uninhabited, so I can't even get the reminder from there).

Now is it like the old days where you can go into a post office and hand over your V5C? Someone I know said no, I have to go to a local DVLA office. That's in Dirty Leeds, but I assume I only need to take the V5C there, change the address (insurance and MOT is online, so they'll check it that way? - pain finding the documentation) and I can get the disc there and then?

Thanks for any help!

I am sure if you have the log book you can tax it online aswell. Then just send the log book away to get address changed.
    Logbook, insurance should be fine at the post office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    I am sure if you have the log book you can tax it online aswell. Then just send the log book away to get address changed.
    Logbook, insurance should be fine at the post office.

Online requires the V11 reminder, and the disc would be sent to the wrong address anyway.

Post office would bypass the address issue (and I can then change it after getting the disc).....and that was part of my question, they still issue tax discs at the main post offices?
  • NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Online requires the V11 reminder, and the disc would be sent to the wrong address anyway.

Post office would bypass the address issue (and I can then change it after getting the disc).....and that was part of my question, they still issue tax discs at the main post offices?

No it doesn't. Online you don't need the reminder, you can use the V5C.

Only thing is, it relys on the V5C having your current address.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it doesn't. Online you don't need the reminder, you can use the V5C.

Only thing is, it relys on the V5C having your current address.

You see my Catch 22 ;)

So if we get a green light on post office, that saves me a drive into the people's republic of West Yorkshire.

I've got my V5C and my pound notes. Just need to dig out insurance and off I pop into town?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry I misread. Not all of them do it. You can check online the nearest one that does though I think

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see my Catch 22 ;)

So if we get a green light on post office, that saves me a drive into the people's republic of West Yorkshire.

I've got my V5C and my pound notes. Just need to dig out insurance and off I pop into town?

No problem with the PO. V5, Insurance and MOT if you need one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super. Thanks chaps!
  • NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see my Catch 22 ;)

I thought you could get them from the post office. They would assume that you live at your old address, but that isn't an issue. So yeah, turn up at post office with all documents and hey presto.

https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-vehicle-licence-using-form-v10

One tax sorted, time to change address on the car registration docs though....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you could get them from the post office. They would assume that you live at your old address, but that isn't an issue. So yeah, turn up at post office with all documents and hey presto.

https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-vehicle-licence-using-form-v10

One tax sorted, time to change address on the car registration docs though....

In work! :)

Thanks again for the speedy responses!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is your insurance registered at the same address as the car?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Is your insurance registered at the same address as the car?

Yes. That is registered at the new address.