I need an advice from Londoners!

da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm travelling tomorrow to London for a football match.

Could someone please advice on how to get to Wembley Stadium from Victoria Coach Station?

Thanks

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the transportforlondon website. The journey's a right dogs dinner, and should take about an hour.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Look at the transportforlondon website. The journey's a right dogs dinner, and should take about an hour.

That's what I linked to. Looks like there are engineering works at the moment which will cause problems to the journey...
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like about 1/2 hour by tube from Victoria Station (10 mins walk from the coach station). Victoria Line to Green Park, change for Jubliee Line to Wembley Park.

The engineering works appear to be rebuilding work at Victoria Station in the ticket hall, which may delay your purchase of the underground ticket.
  • da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much guys

I've had a look at the ticket types on the website and it's painfully confusing!

Am I right in saying that an Oyster card is the best option for one day of travel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you planning on visiting London again?

If so, then an oyster card is worth getting. It's £5 (refundable if you decide you don't want the card any more, and hand it back), and then you put some money onto it.

The underground and bus fares using oyster PAYG are significantly cheaper than paying for the single cash fares, and currently you will stop being charged when you reach the same price (well, actually 50p cheaper) as a one-day travelcard for the zones you've travelled in.

It is vital that you touch your oyster card on the readers whenever you enter and exit the stations even if the barriers are open, otherwise the full cash fare will be deducted from your balance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now all I need to do is get an Oyster card, top it up with let's say £10 (is it enough?) and I'll be good to go to Wembley Stadium and back to Victoria station on the same day?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, £10 should be plenty.

Next time you come to London, you can go onto the oyster card website (if you register your card), and top it up beforehand (at least 24 hours), and nominate the station you want to pick the money up from, and as you pass through the gateline, your top-up will be added to your card - no queueing for counters or machines.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can probably save another 5 mins on your journey if you change to the Metropolitan line at Finchley Road station. It runs on the same platform, so minimal walking involved and the Metropolitan trains are air-conditioned. It bypasses 4 or 5 stations between Finchley Road and Wembley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're a star tellytart1, thank you for the help x

I'll consider that as well Barbra, thanks.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    If you have time, you could could get the No. 2 bus from Victoria, which will take you all the way to Baker Street, where you can catch the Metropolitan line straight to Wembley Park. It's a nice ride and not too long.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    If you have time, you could could get the No. 2 bus from Victoria, which will take you all the way to Baker Street, where you can catch the Metropolitan line straight to Wembley Park. It's a nice ride and not too long.

I agree, it's a very long walk between the Victoria line and the Jubilee line platforms at Green Park.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »
    I agree, it's a very long walk between the Victoria line and the Jubilee line platforms at Green Park.

Indeed. If they do take the Tube all the way, then it's much easier to change at Oxford Circus onto the Bakerloo, as the two Northbound platforms are more or less side by side. And then change at Baker St to the Met.

Gosh - questions like this make me realise how nerdy I am when it comes to the Underground! :o
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    da3bool wrote: »
    I'm travelling tomorrow to London for a football match.

Could someone please advice on how to get to Wembley Stadium from Victoria Coach Station?

Thanks

For next time, there is another option.

Take a Chiltern Railways train from London Marylebone.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/tickets-and-times/download-our-timetable

Takes 14 minutes.

As for getting to LM, use TFLs journey planner.