Car stolen from my drive - again

2»

Comments

• gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    julicova wrote: »
    Although they say Fords are easy to break into, it seems nobody particularly want to!

Might get a Ford Ka.

Oh yes, while talking to the loss adjuster for the insurance company I was told I had "got off lightly" as often thieves just break into the house and demand your car keys at knife point.

Talk about setting the bar low.

The KA from 2009 onwards is just a Fiat 500 with a Ford badge on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's some bad luck OP, my sympathies. I know a fair few people who've had their windows put out and radio etc nicked but never the whole car.

The newer Ford Ka is based on the Fiat 500 and IIRC made by Fiat too. Not sure how much of the electrics is Ford's own (if any?). The old Ka is just complete shite. I wouldn't have thought the 500 was any more suceptible to theft than any other modern car with remote central locking, though I'm no security expert.

Removing HT leads and the like would be a bit of a pain on a modern car, you'd have to remove acoustic covers and all sorts every day to connect/disconnect the leads and they don't have rotor arms/distributors any more. Even on my old Metro I'd have to take apart the air inlet/filter housing to get at the leads. One of those lockable bollards might be the way forward.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeping your car keys on the hall table within sight and reach of anyone looking through your letterbox is just about the most stupid thing you can do, aside from leaving the keys in the ignition and putting a big sign on the windscreen saying "steal me".

People have been having cars, particularly high performance BMWs, Audi etc, stolen like this for years.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    A Wheel Lock is a good deterrent, a decent one, not a cheapo "boot sale special" the noise they would have to make to get it off, should put them off, or at least alert you in time to call the police.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Or move house to a safer area.
    Car thieves tend to target richer areas...

Have you considered an immobilizer?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a hungry rabid Rottweiller in the passenger seat will probably deter all but the most desperate criminals
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One can only hope that eventually all car thieves will meet their maker by their skulls contacting a roadside tree or concrete wall at 70 mph+, rendering them coffin fodder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about your car(s) OP, I had a car stolen years ago that was used in an armed robbery and ditched, so I got it back minus the full tank of gas and the trunk had been emptied. I'd rather have had the insurance to be honest!

Anyway, a friend in London had her car nicked a few years back. A few months later the police contacted her and her car had been recovered...in Ghana. Apparently it was on a boat with other stolen cars and usually the captain turns the other cheek, but in this case he reported there 'might be' stolen cars on his ship as he thought he was being watched when departing the port. Interpol got involved and they recovered the lot. My friend declined having it shipped back to her, had already had the insurance money through and didn't want to know what it had been through on its trip to Africa!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    Anyway, a friend in London had her car nicked a few years back. A few months later the police contacted her and her car had been recovered...in Ghana. Apparently it was on a boat with other stolen cars and usually the captain turns the other cheek, but in this case he reported there 'might be' stolen cars on his ship as he thought he was being watched when departing the port. Interpol got involved and they recovered the lot. My friend declined having it shipped back to her, had already had the insurance money through and didn't want to know what it had been through on its trip to Africa!

A right-hand drive car being sent to Ghana? Hmmm...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Although they say Fords are easy to break into, it seems nobody particularly want to!

Might get a Ford Ka.

Oh yes, while talking to the loss adjuster for the insurance company I was told I had "got off lightly" as often thieves just break into the house and demand your car keys at knife point.

No it is a crappified 500
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    The KA from 2009 onwards is just a Fiat 500 with a Ford badge on it.

Not really - they're similar, but I wouldn't mistake the 2
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    euphie wrote: »
    Not really - they're similar, but I wouldn't mistake the 2

They are the same car. Both of them are built on the same production line. The visible elements were changed and suspension tweaked but under the bonnet all the electrics and mechanical parts are all Fiat.

The early cars even had Fiat logos on the spark plugs.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    They are the same car. Both of them are built on the same production line. The visible elements were changed and suspension tweaked but under the bonnet all the electrics and mechanical parts are all Fiat.

The early cars even had Fiat logos on the spark plugs.

I stand corrected then - I didn't know that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scumble wrote: »
    A right-hand drive car being sent to Ghana? Hmmm...

It happened!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Any news on your car op?
  • julicovajulicova Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    No news yet.

The car was stolen on Monday night. Now it's Saturday - and there has been nothing.

To be honest, I don't think it will be found. I think these thieves were professionals not young opportunists.

Now I haven't got my Fiat I am seeing them in my colour all over the place!!!

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys, much appreciated.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Might get a Ford Ka.

I have a Ford Focus factory fitted with a Thatcham alarm and immobiliser system. Perhaps the reason why people do break into Fords:rolleyes: