Options

How to respond to so called "sarcasm" ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, if I've got this right, you are male, your friend is female, and it is her boyfriend we are talking about ?

Just drop some occasional hints that you may have 'done it' with her when you were younger, especially when there is just the two of you about. That's probably what he suspects and why he is being like it, so you may as well try to destroy him from within...
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    So, if I've got this right, you are male, your friend is female, and it is her boyfriend we are talking about ?

Just drop some occasional hints that you may have 'done it' with her when you were younger, especially when there is just the two of you about. That's probably what he suspects and why he is being like it, so you may as well try to destroy him from within...

You could comment that she has a thing for bald/grey haired men so he should watch out! Just in jest of course #mintbanter :p
  • Options
    Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated!! Ignoring him and changing the subject, I think is the best policy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I know somebody like that and I think it's just a sign of personal insecurity. They are pathetically trying to boost their own esteem by belittling someone else, so as someone else said, don't react to it in any way and carry on as if you hadn't heard it.
    I was going to post something similar as it worked for me. One of my long term male friends took up with a women after a divorce and I think she was incredibly insecure with low self esteem and I was on the receiving end of her spiteful tongue.
    I used to put up with it for his sake for a while then I got annoyed, every time she said anything to me, I would say "what did you say" or "pardon" or "can you talk up" she ended up looking like an idiot as she kept repeating herself. Then I would turn my back on her. She stopped eventually, plus my friend met someone nicer.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    t one friend was ill and resulted in hair loss, but no, that didn't stop him!!

He sounds like someone who has no redeeming features. I would not have someone so pathetically immature and ridiculous as that for a friend.

You need to ditch him, you'll only be happier for it. People like that are NOT good to have in your life. They are basically bullies who use the excuse of joking to mask their bad behaviuor.
  • Options
    urbanhermiturbanhermit Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Your friends partner sounds like he has a terminal case of "Bellenditis"

I'd just say to your friend that you find his behaviour quite irritating and, in future, would prefer to see your friend without him being present.

Some may feel it is a bit harsh but if someone's behaviour causes you to post on a forum, he isn't really the type of person you want to spend time with.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a neighbour who is always having sly little digs and making snide comments. So far I've resisted doing the same back. Like when she was experimenting with eye make up I felt tempted to express concern and ask if something was up with her eyes. :D
    It's very hard not to join in tit for tat but so far I just look dim (I'm very good like that) and make as if the comment passed me over.