The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    The 7pm hour is the biggest problem they have on Sundays. Whilst 8-10pm is poor right now for most of the year it's fine. They have X Factor and Downton/IAC there from September-December and Vera/Endeavour hold it down from April-May. That only really leaves the January-March period (they tend to do OK there over the Summer) where 8-10pm is a major issue. Whereas 7pm is an issue for most of the year now with Dancing on Ice gone. Get Your Act Together and Keep It In The Family are/were disasters. Catchphrase does OK there but it could just move elsewhere. But generally that slot is a bigger problem than 8-10pm. Plus the soaps would provide a better lead-in to the 8-10pm content. I'm pretty sure X Factor was dragged down by Keep It In The Family and even All Star Family Fortunes would probably be above 3m right now if the soaps were at 7pm. They'd provide a really good base for the night. Plus if they really were to take the lazy option and just revive Dancing on Ice then that could just go 8-10pm after the soaps (not that I think they should at this point). But whatever new show they try next year would have a better shot there with a soap hour lead-in. Plus the soap fans always moan about the doubles anyway, that would also solve that problem. It's definitely worth doing I think.

The lazy option is putting the soaps back but it seems inevitable. ITV ruled Sundays when they were strong from 7-10pm. It's only because ratings are horrific that people say bring back the soaps. They don't say that in Autumn with X Factor and Downton on. ITV's problem started when Call The Midwife came out of nowhere and won the 8pm hour taking out two shows on ITV. Very few will stay on ITV or BBC1 after the soaps if the programme after the soaps isn't any good.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    We should have known they couldn't keep their strong scheduling up for long, BBC One are putting New Tricks repeats on Mondays :( and The Gift on Tuesdays. The Gift sounds like it might do well(ish) but to waste your best drama slot on it is ridiculous when you are airing repeats on the Monday. Young War Widows replaces Paul O'Grady's Animal Orphans on the Tuesday.

The New Tricks repeat would make more sense if they were planning an FA Cup match for the following Monday, but I doubt they would disrupt EastEnders in its anniversary week.

Comic Relief Bake Off starts Wednesday 11th February at 8pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should have known they couldn't keep their strong scheduling up for long, BBC One are putting New Tricks repeats on Mondays :( and The Gift on Tuesdays. The Gift sounds like it might do well(ish) but to waste your best drama slot on it is ridiculous when you are airing repeats on the Monday. Young War Widows replaces Paul O'Grady's Animal Orphans on the Tuesday.

The New Tricks repeat would make more sense if they were planning an FA Cup match for the following Monday, but I doubt they would disrupt EastEnders in its anniversary week.

The Gift might do a Long Lost Family and rate well for a factual series. Broadchurch overnights will go up with Silent Witness out of the way.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The lazy option is putting the soaps back but it seems inevitable. ITV ruled Sundays when they were strong from 7-10pm. It's only because ratings are horrific that people say bring back the soaps. They don't say that in Autumn with X Factor and Downton on. ITV's problem started when Call The Midwife came out of nowhere and won the 8pm hour taking out two shows on ITV. Very few will stay on ITV or BBC1 after the soaps if the programme after the soaps isn't any good.

It is the lazy option but I think it would also benefit the soaps themselves as the doubles aren't exactly popular with fans anyway. Maybe they don't say that in the Autumn but it's hardly going to do X Factor and Downton any harm to have a soap lead-in. Although it would be interesting to see what BBC1 would do with Strictly results if ITV had the soaps in the 7pm hour. Call The Midwife is a very popular show but they are capable of getting an audience against it. Even when Call The Midwife broke out Dancing on Ice and Wild at Heart were still doing well. Not as well as before but the numbers were still good. Although to be honest I don't know how much of DOI's fall that year was because of CTM itself as that was also the year DOI made some quite unpopular changes to its format and judging panel which might have done some damage. ITV would kill to have those 2012 numbers back right now (7.5m for DOI performances, 6.5m for WAH and 6m for the Skate Off). I think axing Wild at Heart was possibly a mistake. DOI less so as the numbers were dwindling quite badly by the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Elgin.

Saturday 7th

BBC1

4:30 - Six Nations: France vs Scotland
    6:55 - BBC News & Weather
    7:10 - The Voice
    8:35 - Win Your Wish List
    9:25 - Casualty
    10:15 - BBC News & Weather
    10:30 - Match Of The Day

ITV

6:30 - Stars In Their Eyes
    7:30 - Planet's Got Talent
    8:05 - Take Me Out
    9:20 - Jonathan Ross
    10:20 - ITV News & Weather
    10:35 - Film: Hard Target

Film premiere American Pie: Reunion at 9 on Channel 4.

Sunday 8th

BAFTA Film Awards at 9 on BBC1.
    Match Of The Day 2 moves to 10 on BBC2.

Monday 9th

New Tricks repeat at 9 on BBC1.
    Heston's Recipe For Romance at 9 on Channel 4.
    New sitcom Asylum starts at 9 on BBC4.

Tuesday 10th

The Gift begins at 9 on BBC1.
    Young War Widows is at 9 on ITV.
    The Secret Life Of Four Year Olds is at 8 on Channel 4, with Child Lifers at 10.

Wednesday 11th

The Great Comic Relief Bake Off starts at 8 on BBC1, with Panorama at 9 and Match Of The Day at 10:45.

Thursday 12th

Britain's Biggest Primary School begins at 9 on Five, with The Mentalist returning at 10.

Friday 13th

NCIS: New Orleans starts at 9 on Five.
    Neil Sedaka night from 9 on BBC4.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You would have thought with SW doing so well that they would have put a couple of rpeats in the slot - SW doesnt seem to get repeated as much
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    marke09 wrote: »
    You would have thought with SW doing so well that they would have put a couple of rpeats in the slot - SW doesnt seem to get repeated as much

I can sort of understand where they are coming from not launching something new against BC but it doesnt look so good. Why not put the LLF rip off on Mondays anyway. That would be a genuine alternative to drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the lazy option but I think it would also benefit the soaps themselves as the doubles aren't exactly popular with fans anyway. Maybe they don't say that in the Autumn but it's hardly going to do X Factor and Downton any harm to have a soap lead-in. Although it would be interesting to see what BBC1 would do with Strictly results if ITV had the soaps in the 7pm hour. Call The Midwife is a very popular show but they are capable of getting an audience against it. Even when Call The Midwife broke out Dancing on Ice and Wild at Heart were still doing well. Not as well as before but the numbers were still good. Although to be honest I don't know how much of DOI's fall that year was because of CTM itself as that was also the year DOI made some quite unpopular changes to its format and judging panel which might have done some damage. ITV would kill to have those 2012 numbers back right now (7.5m for DOI performances, 6.5m for WAH and 6m for the Skate Off). I think axing Wild at Heart was possibly a mistake. DOI less so as the numbers were dwindling quite badly by the end.

And that is the problem. Their 8pm show isn't getting an audience against Call The Midwife. ITV blinked and moved things around when CTM started and axed Wild At Heart, the latter being a terrible decision in my view.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that is the problem. Their 8pm show isn't getting an audience against Call The Midwife. ITV blinked and moved things around when CTM started and axed Wild At Heart, the latter being a terrible decision in my view.

The tough thing against CTM is that a lot of the young audience is swallowed up by Top Gear on BBC2 so they can't even go after that.

I agree axing Wild at Heart was a bad move. There had been rumours that they were going to axe it for years though for some reason. So based on that it wasn't that surprising.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    From Elgin.

Friday 13th

NCIS: New Orleans starts at 9 on Five.
    Up against new NCIS on Fox? You've got to be kidding me.

If that doesn't change tomorrow I'll be furious. Utterly inept scheduling. :mad:
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely BBC1 can do better than NT repeats against Broadchurch ffs?!

There must be something in the locker.

Motorway Cops would have been an improvement should all else fail!
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    ITV secures cricket World Cup highlights and returns to boxing:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/27/itv-scores-cricket-world-cup-highlights

Very interestingly, the main fight will be screened on ITV(1)!

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-01-27/carl-frampton-title-fight-to-be-shown-live-on-itv/
    ITV will screen live IBF super bantamweight champion Carl Frampton’s eagerly-awaited first title defence against Chris Avalos.

Boxing fans will be able to enjoy free to air coverage of all the action from the CWM FX sponsored bout taking place in Belfast on February 28.

Promoted by Barry McGuigan’s CWM Cyclone Promotions, Frampton v Avalos will be broadcast live and exclusive on ITV's flagship main channel.

A top quality undercard, featuring a world title eliminator plus a number of exciting international bouts involving some of the best prospects in British boxing, will be screened live on ITV4.

Frampton vs Avalos will be the first world championship match staged in the UK to be broadcast live on terrestrial television since Carl Froch beat Jean Pascal for the WBC Super Middleweight title in 2008.

Can't be much worse than some of ITV's latest Saturday ratings. :D Although I am left thinking "Carl who?"

Just checked about the Froch vs Pascal fight...

Saturday 6th December 2008 - ITV
    18:15 - ITV News: 3.41m
    18:30 - You've Been Framed! 4.62m
    19:00 - The X Factor: 10.30m
    20:20 - Harry Hill's TV Burp: 8.28m
    20:50 - The X Factor: 10.60m
    21:20 - The British Comedy Awards: 4.07m
    22:50 - The Big Fight Live: 2.22m
    24:15 - ITV News: 790k

Obviously the Frampton fight will be no where near that high, but should be good for 1m+.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Very interestingly, the main fight will be screened on ITV(1)!

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-01-27/carl-frampton-title-fight-to-be-shown-live-on-itv/

Can't be much worse than some of ITV's latest Saturday ratings. :D Although I am left thinking "Carl who?"

Just checked about the Froch vs Pascal fight...

Saturday 6th December 2008 - ITV
    18:15 - ITV News: 3.41m
    18:30 - You've Been Framed! 4.62m
    19:00 - The X Factor: 10.30m
    20:20 - Harry Hill's TV Burp: 8.28m
    20:50 - The X Factor: 10.60m
    21:20 - The British Comedy Awards: 4.07m
    22:50 - The Big Fight Live: 2.22m
    24:15 - ITV News: 790k

Obviously the Frampton fight will be no where near that high, but should be good for 1m+.
    And C5 has Golovkin v Murray the Saturday before that so a good couple of weeks for boxing on terrestrial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Murray semi final to be shown live onm BBC Two on Thursday at 8.20am so will they move him to BBC One on Sunday if he makes the final
    Forum Member
    BBC Two are showing Murray's Australian Open semi final on Thursday 8.20am, not a surprise as they always show one semi final but it wasn't in the original schedules. Apparently his 4th round match against Dimitrov on Sunday morning gave Eurosport its best ratings since 2001, not sure exactly how high that would be though.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I can sort of understand where they are coming from not launching something new against BC but it doesnt look so good. Why not put the LLF rip off on Mondays anyway. That would be a genuine alternative to drama.

I agree launching a new drama against Broadchurch wouldn't have been wise, but I'm baffled why The Gift hasn't gone there when that seems like a great alternative to it. I wonder if there isn't any drama ready for Tuesday, Ordinary Lies and The Syndicate are the obvious choices for that slot and I think the former has only just finished filming, so they had to put The Gift there.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Next Monday night it's moved back to 11.30pm-12.30am to allow for the Transfer deadline prog (10.45-11.30pm).

Showing Waterloo Road at 11:30 is plainly daft, and surely puts into question why they are bothering to repeat it on BBC1 at all. Is it supposed to be a serious attempt to run the show in a fairly decent slot on BBC1, if not, why bother with the rest if the series?

Moving it to Tuesday that week would have been better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they could have repeated |Happy Valley in preparation for the second series
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently his 4th round match against Dimitrov on Sunday morning gave Eurosport its best ratings since 2001, not sure exactly how high that would be though.

Sunday 25th January 2015
    British Eurosport
    09:00 to 14:00 - Live Australian Open 2015: 270k (3.2%)
    * peak: 495k (4.9%) at 13:20
    * hit 100k at 09:30
    * hit 200k at 10:10
    * hit 300k at 11:00
    * hit 400k at 12:45

Fantastic numbers for Eurosport, a channel which typically averages between 100k and 200k for its highest rated programming!
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, I missed that one.

Broadchurch got beat in the overnights by The One Show!

BROADCHURCH GOT BEAT IN THE OVERNIGHTS BY THE ONE SHOW!!!!

It actually got beat by the FA fifth round draw to be precise. As expected the one show will beat it again in the officials ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tough thing against CTM is that a lot of the young audience is swallowed up by Top Gear on BBC2 so they can't even go after that.

I agree axing Wild at Heart was a bad move. There had been rumours that they were going to axe it for years though for some reason. So based on that it wasn't that surprising.

What put an end to ITV winning Sunday nights was Sherlock, then the following week Sherlock and Call The Midwife. In 2012 the first performance show of Dancing On Ice was fine but from 6.30-8.30pm. Sherlock started at 8.30pm and took viewers from Wild At Heart and DOI results. The following week it was Midwife at 8 then Sherlock at 9pm and ITV were beaten.

If you're not going to win a timeslot be a competitive number 2 in it. ITV were in 2012. Had they kept Wild At Heart and moved it to 9pm in 2013 it would have done well. Mr Selfridge is emperor's new clothes, the audience didn't stick with it over 3 series. Wild At Heart kept an audience for much longer. Add to that ITV putting the DOI Dance Off at 8.30pm right in the crosshairs of CTM and that's what helped kill DOI off.

For years BBC1 couldn't beat DOI/WAH but they kept Lark Rise To Candleford/Antiques Roadshow there as it kept BBC1 as a solid number 2. ITV aren't even a solid number 2 now because of what they did in 2013/2014.
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Sunday 25th January 2015
    British Eurosport
    09:00 to 14:00 - Live Australian Open 2015: 270k (3.2%)
    * peak: 495k (4.9%) at 13:20
    * hit 100k at 09:30
    * hit 200k at 10:10
    * hit 300k at 11:00
    * hit 400k at 12:45

Fantastic numbers for Eurosport, a channel which typically averages between 100k and 200k for its highest rated programming!

Thanks DMN, as you say a great rating for Eurosport. The timing couldn't have been better for them, Sunday morning and a long match allow it to grow.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For years BBC1 couldn't beat DOI/WAH but they kept Lark Rise To Candleford/Antiques Roadshow there as it kept BBC1 as a solid number 2. ITV aren't even a solid number 2 now because of what they did in 2013/2014.

Indeed. Lark Rise to Candleford was a silent hit. It had a loyal fanbase and by the end, over 7 million adoring fans. It could have got more had BBC1 promoted it in the way they do with Call The Midwife. It is hard to believe that between 2008 and 2011, Lark Rise had 4 series's and a Christmas special. DOI in those days were getting near on 9m viewers so BBC1 did indeed put up a decent alternative schedule. I loved Lark Rise. Such a gentle, beautiful programme. I was gutted when it ended.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    Andy Murray semi final to be shown live onm BBC Two on Thursday at 8.20am so will they move him to BBC One on Sunday if he makes the final

I predict the semi final will move to BBC One at 10:00 as they done that before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this might be a bit of a long shot but does anyone know the closest EVER margin by which any show has won its slot what year it was and how much it beat the rival shows by
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Indeed. Lark Rise to Candleford was a silent hit. It had a loyal fanbase and by the end, over 7 million adoring fans. It could have got more had BBC1 promoted it in the way they do with Call The Midwife. It is hard to believe that between 2008 and 2011, Lark Rise had 4 series's and a Christmas special. DOI in those days were getting near on 9m viewers so BBC1 did indeed put up a decent alternative schedule. I loved Lark Rise. Such a gentle, beautiful programme. I was gutted when it ended.

And ITV's schedule went from dominant to being a competitive number 2 in 2012. In fact I'd say BBC1 didn't have a dominant night they just had one show. ITV could have won every slot on the night except with Midwife with some tweaks. This year is the first time in years where BBC1 led the whole Sunday night in January because their 9pm drama didn't collapse.
This discussion has been closed.