The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier League Highlights staying on the BBC after they won the rights for 2016/17 - 2018/19 with a bid of £204m, £68m per season.

Announcement
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    Premier League Highlights staying on the BBC after they won the rights for 2016/17 - 2018/19 with a bid of £204m, £68m per season.

Announcement

Interestingly ITV didn't bid for them at all.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@BBCMOTD: We're keeping Premier League highlights on BBC for a further 3 years through to & including the 2018/19 season! #MOTD http://t.co/cVD4S8nBJv"

Announcement

Well, business as usual for MOTD then! The only concern I have is what will happen to The Apprentice: You're Fired now that a 10pm midweek magazine will air on BBC2?
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Fantastic Rating for CBB. It was only a highlight show also! I think the eviction could make 3m+
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Announcement

So thats roughly only £8m more per season than they're currently paying, but by creating the mid-week show for BBC2 I'd say they're going to do well in terms of value for money!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're paying £6m a season more this time round. If none of the other terrestrial broadcasters bid, why didn't the BBC offer less? They should not retain football rights at any cost.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which might support my alternative theory that they were just vindictively frightening the BBC into upping their bid with no intentions of bidding.

That said it's not a massive increase per season on what the BEEB were already paying.

Good news.

The 10pm BBC2 Wednesday show won't rate well I suspect. Probably in the mid or high hundred k's. Feels unnecessary when you have MOTD, MOTD2, MOTD3 online and Football Focus. Now add Midweek MOTD.

Why?
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    They're paying £2m a season more this time round. If none of the other terrestrial broadcasters bid, why didn't the BBC offer less? They should not retain football rights at any cost.

Would the Beeb have known no one else bid, if indeed that is the case?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're paying £2m a season more this time round. If none of the other terrestrial broadcasters bid, why didn't the BBC offer less? They should not retain football rights at any cost.

Do we know for certain that nobody bid? Offering slightly more might also keep The Premier League sweet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which might support my alternative theory that they were just vindictively frightening the BBC into upping their bid with no intentions of bidding.

That said it's not a massive increase per season on what the BEEB were already paying.

Good news.

The 10pm BBC2 Wednesday show won't rate well I suspect. Probably in the mid or high hundred k's. Feels unnecessary when you have MOTD, MOTD2, MOTD3 online and Football Focus. Now add Midweek MOTD.

Why?

Where does The Apprentice: You're Fired go?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the Beeb have known no one else bid, if indeed that is the case?

They surely would have had an inkling. They're not entirely short of world class researchers!
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Dara O'Briain leaving anyway, maybe You're Fired won't continue in the same form regardless of the Wednesday MOTD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, business as usual for MOTD then! The only concern I have is what will happen to The Apprentice: You're Fired now that a 10pm midweek magazine will air on BBC2?
    Where does The Apprentice: You're Fired go?

Are you in my head again?
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Just looked at the Borstal replacement on ITV1 for next week, a cheap factual and footage of Car Crashes!!

FFS a) This is insenstive and b) it's February not August/September. Bloody make some dramas ffs! Do it with a cast of unknowns if you have to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Jobs likely to go at Sky News as it merges its digital and television operations - Guardian Media

They had to pay for Fortitude somehow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Just looked at the Borstal replacement on ITV1 for next week, a cheap factual and footage of Car Crashes!!

FFS a) This is insenstive and b) it's February not August/September. Bloody make some dramas ffs! Do it with a cast of unknowns if you have to.

ITV should have a series of one off drama playhouses on Tuesday nights. This could potentially be a series of pilot hits and as you say, the cast isn't important. If they're good, the public will like them.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Announcement

Maybe ITV are plotting a bid for a live match package
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    ITV should have a series of one off drama playhouses on Tuesday nights. This could potentially be a series of pilot hits and as you say, the cast isn't important. If they're good, the public will like them.

This is what they need. The Dramas could cover a range of situations, even a bit of period drama. That way, the public would be intrigued to watch ITV again.

I think it's time ITV gave BGT, IMAC and X-Factor a rest for a year and invested in core programming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you in my head again?

This has got to stop! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Newbury it has started to snow! A rarity for us down South! If it settles, will TV ratings be a bit higher tonight? (It's nowt to what the North have had today!)
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    They're paying £6m a season more this time round. If none of the other terrestrial broadcasters bid, why didn't the BBC offer less? .

The Premier League don't have to sell the rights to terrestrials, they're not protected. It's only rewarded on the Goodwill of the PL. In fact they would get bucket loads more if they did a deal with Sky/ BT to keep them off terrestrial. Similar to how BT have grabbed the traditional FTA Champions league game from ITV.

Given that they now have an extra Wednesday show that is a bargain for the rights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »

ITV have dramas but it looks like they're being saved up until late February/early March. When there is less drama competition from BBC1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The Premier League don't have to sell the rights to terrestrials, they're not protected. It's only rewarded on the Goodwill of the PL. In fact they would get bucket loads more if they did a deal with Sky/ BT to keep them off terrestrial. Similar to how BT have grabbed the traditional FTA Champions league game from ITV.

Given that they now have an extra Wednesday show that is a bargain for the rights.

The PL said in their statement that by putting highlights on terrestrial, it allows the widest reach possible and keeps momentum in in the interest of the PL. If it went exclusively to pay tv, there would rightly be a lot of anger. But, that said, there's no reason why the PL couldn't have given a basic highlights package to the BBC in addition to a pay tv highlights deal too. You do have to question the BBC's expenditure sometimes, but I do admit that as it is around the same as they what paid last time, there isn't an issue this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »

I think the BBC did a good deal to pay slightly more and get an extra programme out of it. Paying slightly more to keep the goodwill is no bad thing either. Besides The Premier League make an absolute fortune from the match packages. That's where the real money lies.

As long as Match Of The Day on the BBC and Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports exist I'm happy.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    ITV have dramas but it looks like they're being saved up until late February/early March. When there is less drama competition from BBC1?

I thought the BBC still had quite a few drama's lined up, I maybe wrong though - either that or they have realised that they are all Truckers :D

With Hollywoods trend of rebooting tv series and films, why don't ITV just do that. Go back and re-imagine shows like Band of Gold, Widows, even Bad Girls if they have to. London's Burning and even Peak Practice. Yes some of the shows may be to a slightly older demographic, but they need drama on the channel. Having a schedule in January that feels like it should be in the middle of the summer is just wrong.
This discussion has been closed.