Options

Does The Police And FBI Use of Psychics Prove They Are Real?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering.. they wouldn't keep calling on them if they was bogus, and there wouldn't be so many rumours..

Comments

• Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

I think that covers everything.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a pile of cack...total bullpoop.......everyone knows Derek Acorah is the only real psychic...
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Just wondering.. they wouldn't keep calling on them if they was bogus, and there wouldn't be so many rumours..

I'm not sure they 'keep calling on them.'
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    It's a pile of cack...total bullpoop.......everyone knows Derek Acorah is the only real psychic...

"What's that Sam, the police want my help solving a 50 year old case?"

"OOOhhh, titter ye not, Mrs" :kitty:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I have my own little theory about this...

It's pretty well-accepted that "psychics" get their information in a variety of ways such as from local gossip, from research, from the internet and from pure speculation.

So, with that in mind, thing is that the cops can't just investigate things "on a hunch".
    In the course of an investigation they can't spend their time randomly listening to gossip or googling random people for days, in the hope that something that they see or hear will help with the investigation and they certainly can't just make wild assumptions and then investigate those.

So, instead, it works out much better if a "psychic" spends weeks (or months, or years) listening to locals gossip, doing research and making assumptions about people who "look dodgy" and then they can just bring a concise allegation to the police who can justify checking it out because an allegation has been made
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Yes, definitely. And it's brilliant, isn't it, how no crime remains unsolved. In fact I don't know why baddies bother. Like any of them stand a chance of getting away with it. Fools!
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the context of the FBI using the services of psychics then yes, they are real. However, the context I'm using is the film, tv and crime novel world, so although it's real in the sphere of the make-believe fiction world, it's not real in the real world.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hire a psycho to catch a psycho
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says the police and the FBI use psychics?
    Some psychic or other I suppose.

Well, would you look at that! I must be psychic.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    They probably just say they do in order to keep other vultures away!

"You want to know if the Chief needs a psychic? Well, I'll ask him but I don't think he'll be very keen. He's already got one, you see!"

Inspired by this, of course! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bKooUgk6N8
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member

They don't call on them, so no. No genuine record of a psychic, medium or other parapsychological type being a material part of the solving of a crime
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting the word 'nonce'
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This link might help answer your question. It's the response of most if not all UK police forces to an enquiry as to whether they employed psychics.

The answer is a resounding NO.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    I'm getting the word 'nonce'

I'm only telling you what the spirits are telling me.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Example- If I was a copper, and someone phoned me to say "I know where the body is", I'd feel kind of duty-bound to look into it, because... well, if they DID for some reason, and you ignored them because they said the spirits told them, you'd feel a right dick later on. ESPECIALLY if it turned out the "psychic" had done the murderisiationalism.

This then translates into the "psychic" claiming the police have "used their services", when all they've done is followed a lead.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary loves Dick!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Mary loves Dick!

Along with the clip of Buzz Aldrin punching that dude, that's my go-to YouTube clip for when I need cheering up.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Hmm. Example- If I was a copper, and someone phoned me to say "I know where the body is", I'd feel kind of duty-bound to look into it, because... well, if they DID for some reason, and you ignored them because they said the spirits told them, you'd feel a right dick later on. ESPECIALLY if it turned out the "psychic" had done the murderisiationalism.

This then translates into the "psychic" claiming the police have "used their services", when all they've done is followed a lead.

And in ever case having their valuable time wasted.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I'm only telling you what the spirits are telling me.

They're probably lying. Trust no one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    And in ever case having their valuable time wasted.

Oh, of course, that kind of goes without saying. But if you were the copper who ignored the "psychic" who DID know where the body was because he was actually the murderator... wow. That would suck to be him.

And the psychics can't get busted because, well, you can't PROVE that they didn't get told what they told you by SPOOOOKY GHOSTS, so you'd have no evidence to actually prosecute them with...

They're assholes, basically. Down there with the ones who exploit other people's grief to line their own pockets.

(EDIT- actually, they're not ALL assholes. Some may be genuinely delusional, and they have my sympathy. And yeah, I'm even open to the vague possibility that there may be REAL ones, but... we haven't seen any yet, have we?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh, of course, that kind of goes without saying. But if you were the copper who ignored the "psychic" who DID know where the body was because he was actually the murderator... wow. That would suck to be him.

And the psychics can't get busted because, well, you can't PROVE that they didn't get told what they told you by SPOOOOKY GHOSTS, so you'd have no evidence to actually prosecute them with...

They're assholes, basically. Down there with the ones who exploit other people's grief to line their own pockets.

I think it is worth saying because there will always be people who think this kind of stuff is harmless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I think it is worth saying because there will always be people who think this kind of stuff is harmless.

Yeah, that's true.
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make of this what you will! .........
    Approx 35 years ago a group of boy scouts all got lost whilst on a week long orienteering course up on Dartmoor UK. . The weather had turned exceptionally bad, including blizzards and snow drifts. It was considered to be a life threatening situation, with real fears of it being a retrieval of bodies rather than a happy ending. The national press had started reporting on the deepening concerns expressed by the search and rescue teams at being unable to locate the group..
    My OH explains to me of how his Mother confided in him that she had had what she described as a psychic vision in which she claimed to have seen a group of people, huddled in arctic like conditions in and around a large odd shaped rock. My OH still being a teenager at the time admits that he did not really pay much attention to his Mothers words but later found out that his Mum was so convinced as to the validity of the vision that she took it upon herself to contact the local Police station where the group had gone missing.
    Later that day all the major networks released reports regarding the successful rescue of the boys and their leaders. Some news outlets mentioning the possible assistance of a West Country Psychic. My OH goes on to tell me how within 48 hours he had returned home from work one evening to find approx half a dozen press crews with cameras in his front garden with his Mother being interviewed on the doorstep.
    The story went international and the next 2/3 months went 'mental' in the form of sacks full of mail on a daily basis being delivered to the home with letters from all over the world asking for his Mothers assistance in the hope that she could provide information regarding people's lost items, pets, and even family members. One such request that springs to mind pertains to a very rich business man from the USA who was trying to find the whereabouts of his son who was reported MIA in the Vietnam War. The Information she provided was successful to an extent and resulted in a marriage proposal from the businessman, which she politely declined.

This is the story as my OH recalls it and I have no reason to doubt his recollections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mintoe wrote: »
    Make of this what you will! .........
    Approx 35 years ago a group of boy scouts all got lost whilst on a week long orienteering course up on Dartmoor UK. . The weather had turned exceptionally bad, including blizzards and snow drifts. It was considered to be a life threatening situation, with real fears of it being a retrieval of bodies rather than a happy ending. The national press had started reporting on the deepening concerns expressed by the search and rescue teams at being unable to locate the group..
    My OH explains to me of how his Mother confided in him that she had had what she described as a psychic vision in which she claimed to have seen a group of people, huddled in arctic like conditions in and around a large odd shaped rock. My OH still being a teenager at the time admits that he did not really pay much attention to his Mothers words but later found out that his Mum was so convinced as to the validity of the vision that she took it upon herself to contact the local Police station where the group had gone missing.
    Later that day all the major networks released reports regarding the successful rescue of the boys and their leaders. Some news outlets mentioning the possible assistance of a West Country Psychic. My OH goes on to tell me how within 48 hours he had returned home from work one evening to find approx half a dozen press crews with cameras in his front garden with his Mother being interviewed on the doorstep.
    The story went international and the next 2/3 months went 'mental' in the form of sacks full of mail on a daily basis being delivered to the home with letters from all over the world asking for his Mothers assistance in the hope that she could provide information regarding people's lost items, pets, and even family members. One such request that springs to mind pertains to a very rich business man from the USA who was trying to find the whereabouts of his son who was reported MIA in the Vietnam War. The Information she provided was successful to an extent and resulted in a marriage proposal from the businessman, which she politely declined.

This is the story as my OH recalls it and I have no reason to doubt his recollections.

People lost on Dartmoor sheltering near an odd shaped rock? Impossible. :D