Options

2012 launch for You view.

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
Forum Member
✭✭✭
More news about You View

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4569-youview-product-launch-scheduled-for-early-2012.html

Too late to be honest, i know a few people that was waiting for You view before they make up their mind what they are doing,about HD, I don't think any of them will wait.

They have missed the boat and it will be the same flop as BT Vision.

Comments

• Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2012 is perfect for me. I will be looking to get a new box next year. Mind you I would prefer a Sat based YouView box but we will see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there will be too many alternatives by then... Tvs will come with IPTV, STBs or Blu-ray players will all have it too

Given this size of delay, YouView has to be dead in the water now, too many alternatives - http://goffee-freelance.blogspot.com/2011/02/youview-not-so-now-dead-in-water.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see, you have a weblog so you must know. If YouView is good then it will be a success next year. We will see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Oh I see, you have a weblog so you must know. If YouView is good then it will be a success next year. We will see.

Freesat is good, but it is not what you call a success, but if have now got a few more people using it, but it have taken it's time.

I still have my doubts about You View, it needs to have content that makes it worth while. Broadband is not that great in this country and you need a pretty decent sync speed to make the best of it and then you got ISP's you puts limits on the service.

The other thing is as I said before, they will miss the boat, the central area changes over in April, people that want Hd are going to go out and get a Freeview or Freesat PVR, they cost in the region of £200, so how many people do you think are going to go out and buy another box 12 months later for another £200 or so?

Sure the BBC Iplayer have done ok, but to be honest other TVoIP services have not done so well, Bt vision for instance, even with all the BT broadband customers have done badly customer wise.

I know a few people with different boxes, dvd players and even the odd T.V that have connections for the net and have some sort of services like Iplayer on them and yet none of them are connected to the net, even a friend of mine who is pretty tech savy as she says she can't be bothered.

Myself I have got a old computer behind my t.v now and I use that for 4Od and other stuff.

And who is to say that You view will launch in 2012? it may not launch till late 2012 or it may be later. they will certainly miss the boat. I am looking at getting Freesat, if I end up paying £200 for say a humax box I am not going to go out and pay it again next year.
  • Options
    MP34L1feMP34L1fe Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm with you on that one, Youview has the backing of the MAJORITY of the big players in the UK Tv Market, not a surprise its been delayed, but if it means they get it right it will be worth it!
  • Options
    ashjfashjf Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goffee wrote: »
    there will be too many alternatives by then... Tvs will come with IPTV, STBs or Blu-ray players will all have it too

Given this size of delay, YouView has to be dead in the water now, too many alternatives - http://goffee-freelance.blogspot.com/2011/02/youview-not-so-now-dead-in-water.html

YouView IMO will be massive, why? Not only because BBC, ITV, C4, Channel5, Arqiva, BT Vision & TalkTalk are behind it but think what can be done with advertising & selling it.

On screen voice/text:
    BBC: Available on iPlayer, now available on YouView.
    ITV: Available on ITV Player, now on YouView.
    C4: As above (4od)
    Five: As above (Demand Five)

Then:
    SeeSaw: Get SeaSaw on your TV with YouView.
    BT Vision: Free YouView box with BT Broadband
    TalkTalk: As above (TalkTalk broadband)
    Freeview: YouView ads on their site. Plus I would hope that they will make a service where Freeview channels couls be streamed in poor signal areas.
    Other services on YouView: Now available on YouView.

The YouView name will be everywhere & people will learn that they can have free and/or pay tv & my guess would be pay tv will be on pay per view or 30 day contracts (except BT & TalkTalk that would have their content on a min of 12 months).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said ashjf - I don't think people realise the potential of YouView and think it must come out now. What would be a disaster is for it to come out and be unreliable and get bad publicity. They must get it right.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am looking at getting Freesat, if I end up paying £200 for say a humax box I am not going to go out and pay it again next year.
    Looks like ITV player is now on Freesat alongside Iplayer and other players could launch on it?
    The Humax freesat+ boxes are reduced on the web via places like Comet and Amazon, unless you are with a ISP which adds TV content you might not gain much by waiting for Youview.

The delay gives BT time to sort out fibre to more customers improve performance.

The delay also gives Talktalk a bit more time to sort out fibre and also customer service before adding TV into the bundles before taking on Sky, BT and VM in the pay TV market!

Orange TV is doing well in France
    http://www.v-net.tv/NewsDisplay.aspx?id=657&title=orange-ready-for-the-next-big-challenges
    and as they have moved to BT wholesale in the UK may launch Orange TV in the UK with Youview boxes?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashjf wrote: »
    (except BT & TalkTalk that would have their content on a min of 12 months).
    BT, Talktalk and any other ISP that joins will probably offer reduced price Youview set top boxes and TVs for the contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashjf wrote: »
    YouView IMO will be massive, why? Not only because BBC, ITV, C4, Channel5, Arqiva, BT Vision & TalkTalk are behind it but think what can be done with advertising & selling it.

On screen voice/text:
    BBC: Available on iPlayer, now available on YouView.
    ITV: Available on ITV Player, now on YouView.
    C4: As above (4od)
    Five: As above (Demand Five)

Then people find out that a You View box will cost them at least £200 and that it may or may not work on their broadband.

i am not sure if the BBC would be allow to say that it is available on You view as that will be advertising a commercial platform.

five and 4 have enough problems getting people to use their on demand service as it is and ITV for that matter. If the You view version is as bad as the one on the PS3 then the future don't look good.

On the PS3, both ITV and 4Od is awful, yet the BBC does a pretty decent job,

Bt was behind BT vision and look how that have gone?

Then:
    SeeSaw: Get SeaSaw on your TV with YouView.

Most people have no idea what Seesaw is, again if they are going onto you View and want to catch the people, they got to do a better job than they do at the moment.
    BT Vision: Free YouView box with BT Broadband
    TalkTalk: As above (TalkTalk broadband)

No doubt, but you will pay for it, no doubt with very long contracts, BT already got 24 month contracts, I know Talk Talk have answered theirs to 12 months, but if they are going to give a box away that can be used on any network, I bet you they will up the contract again.

Freeview: YouView ads on their site. Plus I would hope that they will make a service where Freeview channels couls be streamed in poor signal areas.
    Other services on YouView: Now available on YouView.

By then apart from the odd few, there will be no poor signal areas and if people have got poor signal then they will go for Dsat, either freesat or Sky.

The YouView name will be everywhere & people will learn that they can have free and/or pay tv & my guess would be pay tv will be on pay per view or 30 day contracts (except BT & TalkTalk that would have their content on a min of 12 months).

12 months? you got to be kidding it will go up to at least 18, maybe 24 months, they are not going to give you a box for nothing and then allow you to leave after 12 months.

but if people have already paid £200 for a PVr six months, twelve months before, what makes you think they are going to dig in their pocket to grab another couple of hundred quid just to get a box that may have content online?

The T.v we have at the moment is not that great, will it not be more of the same thing on You View?

I don't see it happening myself, I still think they miss the boat and looking at different sites on the net, I am not the only one who think so, experts in the field also have said so.

We will see, but I know one thing, if I pay out for a new box in the next 2-3 months, which I am thinking of doing, but not 100% yet, I am not going to buy another for a few years.

Well said ashjf - I don't think people realise the potential of YouView and think it must come out now. What would be a disaster is for it to come out and be unreliable and get bad publicity. They must get it right.

i understand what you say and I myself have had my fair share of unreliable PVR's, including the Hitachi which is a Vestal clone, it is not that good. But the technology is not new, Top up T.V have got a pretty reliable box now, ok so it took them a while, but it is stable.

If the technology of You view was all brand new I would say fine, but it is not, the only new thing is the online service, but that have been done in other countries.

I think that they may launch it in 2012, Bt and Talk will grab a load, the odd person will buy one and that is the way it will stay, nothing new will happen to it and we will get the same junk as we do now.

I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think I will be
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wouldnt say 4OD was bad on the PS3 i think it streams pretty good not better than Iplayer though very good picture there. As for youview what about people who have monthly usage limits surely that will be a bad thing.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    More news about You View

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4569-youview-product-launch-scheduled-for-early-2012.html

Too late to be honest, i know a few people that was waiting for You view before they make up their mind what they are doing,about HD, I don't think any of them will wait.

They have missed the boat and it will be the same flop as BT Vision.

I'm a bit in that category myself.
    I already have Freesat HD, but I've been hanging off buying a PVR for a while, struggling on with an ailing DVD/HDD recorder.

When I heard Youview was coming out this April, I thought I would wait and see what it was like, but I'm not waiting another flippin' year. :eek:
    I'll just get Freeview+HD or Freesat+HD instead.

With all these TVs and boxes coming out now, able to access iPlayer and Youtube etc, Youview is going to have to offer a lot more than just those to compete?

I know you can supposedly watch anything that was broadcast in the previous week, just by clicking it in the epg, which will be more convenient than searching the various catch-up services, but will that be enough of a USP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    i wouldnt say 4OD was bad on the PS3 i think it streams pretty good not better than Iplayer though very good picture there. As for youview what about people who have monthly usage limits surely that will be a bad thing.

Very jerky and not much on there compared to what is on their PC version, ITv is no better, it looks great until there is movement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I'm a bit in that category myself.
    I already have Freesat HD, but I've been hanging off buying a PVR for a while, struggling on with an ailing DVD/HDD recorder.

When I heard Youview was coming out this April, I thought I would wait and see what it was like, but I'm not waiting another flippin' year. :eek:
    I'll just get Freeview+HD or Freesat+HD instead.

With all these TVs and boxes coming out now, able to access iPlayer and Youtube etc, Youview is going to have to offer a lot more than just those to compete?

I know you can supposedly watch anything that was broadcast in the previous week, just by clicking it in the epg, which will be more convenient than searching the various catch-up services, but will that be enough of a USP?

That is what I mean, i was chatting to one of the people I know that been waiting for you view last night and I told him that it is suppose to be launched in 2012. he was not impressed, stuff that he said, not waiting. Tomorrow he is going to go out and look at what is available, I think he is looking at Freesat as a bit more choice compared to Freeview and he already got a Freeview PVR. so he is not going to go out and buy a You view box next year.

The other people I know that was waiting for You view will not either as they was only waiting until switch over and once switch over happens they will go out and buy a Hd box, be it Freeview or Freesat.

Staying as I am for a while, just the Freeview PVr, not bothering with HD, got other things to get that is more important.