Options

UK Networks Tethering Policies

Comments

• Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at the o2 store earlier I asked if tethering would be allowed on 4G and they said it would be.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    When I was at the o2 store earlier I asked if tethering would be allowed on 4G and they said it would be.

Not sure how tethering would be useful on O2 with a 100mb allowance...

Sorry, 1GB :D
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FortKnox wrote: »

Regarding Three, even though they allow tethering once 3pm comes along there TrafficSense system makes there data internet virtually unusable until 12am. YouTube wont work, Web pages load like dial up. This is at least my experience with Three the past couple of weeks I dunno if its different for everyone else. But if it is the same for other people then Tethering on Three is kinda made redundant.

Not for me, although for some services I use a VPN, I have noticed no Throttling at all, in fact, long story, but I only have a 3G connection at home which copes with Sky On demand, Netflix and various other things I use it for. Approx 20Gb a month usage and speeds around 12Mbps - 14Mbps anytime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should also add that if you are Jailbroken or use Android there are ways around tethering restrictions, either by way of a profile or app.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Good luck while it lasts.

I was on their Ultimate Internet 200. Tethering worked for a while. But then the block kicked in. Once it kicked in once, it always picked it up REALLY quickly after that.

I found it kicked in much quicker with web browsing. Downloading apps didn't seem to trigger it so fast.

Not sure how they detect it. Can't be based on the phone they *think* you have as they thought I had a Galaxy Note when I'd actually switched to a Lumia 920 months ago.

I've moved onto the One Plan now. Stupid not to really as it's such good value and tethering is now guaranteed.

Oh I've been doing it for about 4 years now... just fyi
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Not sure how tethering would be useful on O2 with a 100mb allowance...

Sorry, 1GB :D

You can get up to 8GB on the 4G plans.
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Only for a couple months, them it halves does it not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    Only for a couple months, them it halves does it not.

No actually if you sign up for the 4G before October the 31st you still get the 8GB. But if you sign up after October the 31st you will get 5GB for the same price. It's an enticement to sign up early. I confirmed it with the guy in the shop yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can get up to 8GB on the 4G plans.

No one ever gets my jokes on this forum :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I am on 3 and the one plan, however its pay as you go and tethering isn't allowed even though it's still £15 amonth of course they failed to tell me that. I tried the sim in a mifi dongle and it worked for a while but now I get a webpage telling me the sim is only for use in a phone and I cannot get internet access.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tynesider wrote: »
    I am on 3 and the one plan, however its pay as you go and tethering isn't allowed even though it's still £15 amonth of course they failed to tell me that. I tried the sim in a mifi dongle and it worked for a while but now I get a webpage telling me the sim is only for use in a phone and I cannot get internet access.

That makes no sense.

How can you be on the one plan and then be on pay as you go?

And the sim won't work in a mi-fi. Just a phone.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That makes no sense.

How can you be on the one plan and then be on pay as you go?

And the sim won't work in a mi-fi. Just a phone.

There was a PAYG AYCE called All in One 15 at £15 without tethering. The sim only One Plan contract at the same price allows it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup. I think maybe the OP is confused what plan/tariff he's on.
  • Options
    Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I am on an AYCE plan on three with 1gb of data for tethering and have noticed it never goes down and practically unlimited.

Why is this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With most modern phones people shouldnt need a MIFI. I have two phones on Three both on a 30 day one plan and in both cases they have a hotspot facility. One is iPhone 5 which is my daily and I take with me and the other is a cheap Alcatel Android phone which stays at home and acts as my home broadband with hotspot switched on. My Sky box connects to the Alcatel as do all my other devices via the hotspot wifi.
  • Options
    spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    thebtman wrote: »
    Should also add that if you are Jailbroken or use Android there are ways around tethering restrictions, either by way of a profile or app.

Will the provider know if I use an app for tethering? This is on UNROOTED Android phone.

I have just got the Unlimited SIM from Virgin Mobile. My old 500MB allowance WILL allow Tethering, apparently now tethering no longer permitted on new tariff's (i.e. my Unlimited SIM). Will any kind of work around work with Tethering without them charging me extra/cutting me off?
    Also what apps would you recommend?
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Threes PAYG AYCE plan works for tethering no problem at all when the tether is to another mobile device.

i have tested it before tethering a tablet that was Wifi only.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With most modern phones people shouldnt need a MIFI. I have two phones on Three both on a 30 day one plan and in both cases they have a hotspot facility. One is iPhone 5 which is my daily and I take with me and the other is a cheap Alcatel Android phone which stays at home and acts as my home broadband with hotspot switched on. My Sky box connects to the Alcatel as do all my other devices via the hotspot wifi.

It depends on what you do. For personal use I agree on the tethering.

For business uses where the data need is mainly for email and browsing, mobile broadband tariffs have the highest data priority on the network which matters when time means money. Data priority on a network is generally: 1. Mobile broadband, 2. Phones, 3. Tethered devices.

Also, I think you are unrestricted in how you use a mobile broadband allowance compared to a phone data plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me, although for some services I use a VPN, I have noticed no Throttling at all, in fact, long story, but I only have a 3G connection at home which copes with Sky On demand, Netflix and various other things I use it for. Approx 20Gb a month usage and speeds around 12Mbps - 14Mbps anytime.

sethpet wrote: »
    Threes PAYG AYCE plan works for tethering no problem at all when the tether is to another mobile device.

i have tested it before tethering a tablet that was Wifi only.

I use the Hotspot function on my Alcatel One Touch 903 (thats the one that stays home all the time) to a Sky box, A ROKU box, an iPhone, an iPad, Two laptops and a desktop PC. I have experienced no throttling or streaming problems.

They only throttle file sharing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I use the Hotspot function on my Alcatel One Touch 903 (thats the one that stays home all the time) to a Sky box, A ROKU box, an iPhone, an iPad, Two laptops and a desktop PC. I have experienced no throttling or streaming problems.

They only throttle file sharing.

How the hell do you get 12-14Mbps download on a Alcatel 903???? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell do you get 12-14Mbps download on a Alcatel 903???? :confused:

Ahhh should clarify I get around 8Mbps via the Alcatel, for higher speeds I use my iPhone 5, though hardly ever now as the Alcatel with 8Mbps is enough for what I use it for.

I also have a 3G cell on top of my cottage, so I tend to get a full signal :)

https://twitter.com/Rural3G/status/388718292778508288
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ahhh should clarify I get around 8Mbps via the Alcatel, for higher speeds I use my iPhone 5, though hardly ever now as the Alcatel with 8Mbps is enough for what I use it for.

I also have a 3G cell on top of my cottage, so I tend to get a full signal :)

https://twitter.com/Rural3G/status/388718292778508288

Ah ok :)

But still, how the hell do you get over 7.2Mbps on an Alcatel One Touch 903. The Mediatek MTK6573 only supports up to 7.2Mbps. In real life you should be maxing around 5.5Mbps if you're next to the cell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ok :)

But still, how the hell do you get over 7.2Mbps on an Alcatel One Touch 903. The Mediatek MTK6573 only supports up to 7.2Mbps. In real life you should be maxing around 5.5Mbps if you're next to the cell.

Rooted Custom Kernel and Rom maybe....also allow a little inaccuracy from Speedtest.net

Maybe 8 is nearer 7 and 7 is nearer 6....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rooted Custom Kernel and Rom maybe....also allow a little inaccuracy from Speedtest.net

Maybe 8 is nearer 7 and 7 is nearer 6....

Still doesn't make sense haha. Like i said the max you'd expect to see would be 5.5Mbps. So the fact that you're seeing 8Mbps shows that something is really really wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still doesn't make sense haha. Like i said the max you'd expect to see would be 5.5Mbps. So the fact that you're seeing 8Mbps shows that something is really really wrong.

Why would max be 5.5 with a processor capable of handling 7.2?

Lol its not wrong as far as my devices are concerned:)