Options

The Mentalist Season 5 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    SpoilerificSpoilerific Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    YES! Though it's like being drip-fed teasers.... very annoying!

So who has all the dvd's and is going to do their duty and re-watch all previous episodes then? :P
  • Options
    hayleys2915hayleys2915 Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't bother checking previous episodes it's probably a red herring and the person he shook hands with happened off screen.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother checking previous episodes it's probably a red herring and the person he shook hands with happened off screen.

I agree with this

But it couldn't hurt to check everyone to date he has shook hands with.

I really enjoyed this episode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I agree with this

But it couldn't hurt to check everyone to date he has shook hands with.

I really enjoyed this episode

The thing is Jane has shook hands with nearly everyone he has met.

I enjoyed it too particularly the last scene. Does anyone else think Jane is suspicious of Lisbon now? He was very cold with her in that scene and I found his laugh strange. What was the point in telling her Red John is someone he knows? I think he did it to see her reaction.
  • Options
    Mrs_Stig24Mrs_Stig24 Posts: 4,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoyed it too particularly the last scene. Does anyone else think Jane is suspicious of Lisbon now? He was very cold with her in that scene and I found his laugh strange. What was the point in telling her Red John is someone he knows? I think he did it to see her reaction.

I don't think Jane is suspicious of Lisbon at all, and I doubt the show will ever go there. I do agree that he has been somewhat cold to Lisbon when it comes to sharing information with her, especially when you consider how much he shared with her in Season 4. I think we're seeing Jane slip into obsessive mode and that maniacal grin at the end of the episode confirmed that for me. He has new leads and I suspect that will now become his sole focus with Lisbon and his job at the CBI becoming, sadly, less important. 'If It Bleeds It Leads' was a good example of that what with his disinterest in the case and cold attitude to Lisbon.

Jane telling Lisbon that Red John is someone he has shaken hands with was Jane's way of keeping her in the loop. They're too close now for Jane not to share details but I don't think he'll be letting her help his investigation. I wish he would though!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He hasn't shaken hands with himself. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs_Stig24 wrote: »
    I don't think Jane is suspicious of Lisbon at all, and I doubt the show will ever go there. I do agree that he has been somewhat cold to Lisbon when it comes to sharing information with her, especially when you consider how much he shared with her in Season 4. I think we're seeing Jane slip into obsessive mode and that maniacal grin at the end of the episode confirmed that for me. He has new leads and I suspect that will now become his sole focus with Lisbon and his job at the CBI becoming, sadly, less important. 'If It Bleeds It Leads' was a good example of that what with his disinterest in the case and cold attitude to Lisbon.

Jane telling Lisbon that Red John is someone he has shaken hands with was Jane's way of keeping her in the loop. They're too close now for Jane not to share details but I don't think he'll be letting her help his investigation. I wish he would though!

I hope he isn't suspicious but that's what I got from the scene. A writer on twitter asked who people thought Red John was and someone replied saying they thought RJ was Lisbon and she then said
    that would be covered in episode 9 or 10.
    I think he may be suspicious of Kirkland. I can't wait to see more of Robert, I love him already. I agree with everything you've said and I think something bad may happen this season to show Jane how his behaviour is affecting people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he isn't suspicious but that's what I got from the scene. A writer on twitter asked who people thought Red John was and someone replied saying they thought RJ was Lisbon and she then said
    that would be covered in episode 9 or 10.

5.09 answered your question then in that scene at the start where Lisbon asked Jane if she was in the book, somewhat jokingly. :cool:

I was so happy to see Jane making a list of possible candidates for Red John! From what I could see in that last shot of his book he had:

Walter Mashburn
    Virgil Minnelli
    Brett Partridge
    Dean Harken (from Code Red)
    Dr Linus Wagner
    Brett Stiles
    Ellis Mars
    Osvaldo Ardilles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.09 answered your question then in that scene at the start where Lisbon asked Jane if she was in the book, somewhat jokingly. :cool:

I was so happy to see Jane making a list of possible candidates for Red John! From what I could see in that last shot of his book he had:

Walter Mashburn
    Virgil Minnelli
    Brett Partridge
    Dean Harken (from Code Red)
    Dr Linus Wagner
    Brett Stiles
    Ellis Mars
    Osvaldo Ardilles

Yes it did. Thank god.

But as I suspected some of these handshakes have taken place off screen. We've never seen him shake hands with Brett Partridge and I found it weird that he had Dr Towlen Morning in his book. Even weirder was where he had wrote deceased there was a question mark after it. Interesting that the writers actually made Jane and Lisbon say Dean Harken's name, I would never really suspect him. I hope they showed us the name's on that page for a reason.

Osvaldo is appearing in the next episode. It will be interesting to see his interactions with Lisbon seeing as things didn't go down too well last time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So I wonder if that list was just a page, or if that is 'the' list, and one of them IS Red John? If that is the case, it just looks like a list of names that most people have considered anyway!

Brett Partridge - Suggested since Season 1
    Walter Mashburn - Didn't seem the 'type', but has got leverage I guess, given that he's been with Lisbon
    Virgil Minnelli - Seems a cop out to me (pardon the pun)
    Dean Harken - Can't remember him....
    Dr Linus Wagner - Can't remember him....
    Brett Stiles - Nah, he's shady, but nah, not Red John to me
    Ellis Mars - Can't remember him....
    Osvaldo Ardilles - Who?!

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I wonder if that list was just a page, or if that is 'the' list, and one of them IS Red John? If that is the case, it just looks like a list of names that most people have considered anyway!

Brett Partridge - Suggested since Season 1
    Walter Mashburn - Didn't seem the 'type', but has got leverage I guess, given that he's been with Lisbon
    Virgil Minnelli - Seems a cop out to me (pardon the pun)
    Dean Harken - Can't remember him....
    Dr Linus Wagner - Can't remember him....
    Brett Stiles - Nah, he's shady, but nah, not Red John to me
    Ellis Mars - Can't remember him....
    Osvaldo Ardilles - Who?!

What do you guys think?

You'll have no chance finding out who Red John is if you don't know some of these people lol.

Dean Harken - Appeared in 2x16, orange hair, didn't get along well with Jane and Lisbon.
    Dr Linus Wagner - Appeared in the pilot and 3x08. He was the copycat RJ and in his second appearance had information about Jane's kidnapping.
    Ellis Mars - Appeared in 3x09. The episode with Todd Johnson, he claimed he was a psychic.
    Osvaldo Ardilles - The DA who has appeared several times. He was on the suspect list in 3x23/24. His most recent appearance was in 4x14 when he told Lisbon she was the problem.

You've left two people off the list

Jason Cooper - Works at visualize, appeared in 4x16.
    Dr Towlen Morning - The dead guy in 2x08. Victim of Red John and the doctor of two other RJ victims. Next to his name Jane had put deceased and then a question mark which I found interesting because we actually seen him dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A quick google has refreshed my memory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    anyone else not so into this as they use to be?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I must confess I've never been into it. Each season I get told by friends what a great series it is and feel I must give it a go and then am totally disappointed. I've just tried again the last few weeks and just can't get into it.

I do prefer programmes where I like the characters and they've got some chemistry between them but find I can't care less about any in this. I'll probably give tonight's episode a go and if I still feel the same accept it's not for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snowiris wrote: »

it does seem to drag nowadays.. After the dramatic season where Patrick met and then shot Red John or so he/we thought it's just seems to be going through the motions. There hasn't really been any progression in the Red John Story & the personal relationships between the team are pretty stale too.

Rigsby and Grace had amazing chemistry then all of a sudden he has a baby with some other woman and it's never mentioned again. I keep thinking something must happen between Patrick & Lisbon too, every now and then there is a flicker but it seems to quickly die out. We know the least about Teresa as far as back story and what she does outside of work!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syncage wrote: »
    it does seem to drag nowadays.. After the dramatic season where Patrick met and then shot Red John or so he/we thought it's just seems to be going through the motions. There hasn't really been any progression in the Red John Story & the personal relationships between the team are pretty stale too.

Rigsby and Grace had amazing chemistry then all of a sudden he has a baby with some other woman and it's never mentioned again. I keep thinking something must happen between Patrick & Lisbon too, every now and then there is a flicker but it seems to quickly die out. We know the least about Teresa as far as back story and what she does outside of work!

I actually think we know the most about Lisbon. I'd like to know more about Van Pelt's back story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    its dragging. im getting a little bored. the characters homelife, back story and relationship with eachother is completely missing. the weekly murders are the same old. but jane is still funny so i still watch it when im bored i just dont have any hope in ever finding out who red john is
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a massive fan. Now if I miss an episode or two it makes no difference. Like other posters have said - same old same old. If it does go on one or two more seasons I won't care who Red John is by that stage. And if it ends with the smiley face on the wall after RJ is supposed to be dead - well all that watching would have been in vain (even if I stop watching now!).
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder when one of the main team is revealed as a RJ acolyte
  • Options
    pon farrpon farr Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Good to see the return of Summer, although have to say if I was a betting person I would not bet on her new love lasting long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Summer's return was pointless, I preferred how she left in 4x22. My favourite part of the episode was Lisbon smashing the box. You could tell throughout the episode Lisbon is fed up of Jane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Summer's return was pointless, I preferred how she left in 4x22. My favourite part of the episode was Lisbon smashing the box. You could tell throughout the episode Lisbon is fed up of Jane.

I was happy to see her again, I like how The Mentalist doesn't forget some characters and we see them reappear every so often.

Regarding Lisbon, I think this episode subtly hinted towards what's going to happen in the next two episodes when
    Volker returns. Lisbon was (again) warning Jane about all the obsessing he does over Red John and I think the roles will reverse and Lisbon will start obsessing Volker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was happy to see her again, I like how The Mentalist doesn't forget some characters and we see them reappear every so often.

Regarding Lisbon, I think this episode subtly hinted towards what's going to happen in the next two episodes when
    Volker returns. Lisbon was (again) warning Jane about all the obsessing he does over Red John and I think the roles will reverse and Lisbon will start obsessing Volker.
    Yes I believe it will too. Also the last line "You only think you know everything about me." will fit with the Volker arc.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding some of these episodes in this season a little mediocre.

Amanda getting herself pregnant is definitely part of what is bringing it down with her always behind desks and looking huge. Sorry, but I think she should choose - career or motherhood - and if she chooses the latter then they should write her out and bring in a new character. It might help to freshen things up anyway.

Lisbon has been looking a bit on the shabby side too just lately. I wouldn't want her and Patrick to hook up because I think their relationship is quite sweet and touching the way it is, best illustrated by how he stuck with her when she had a bomb stapped to her, but I suppose the pressure is always on for storyline twists and developments.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    snowiris wrote: »

It used to be a "must watch" show for me, now I am a bit lukewarm about it.

The show just does not seem to be as interesting as it was and, quite frankly, I am now finding Patrick Jane more than a little tiresome and caring less and less who Red John is.