Options

Family Tree BBC2

Comments

• Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Awful. Shows up Nina Conti's small talent footprint if she has to have a fictional character doing what she does in the real world.

I didn't know who she was, and was surprised when I learned she was a real life ventriloquist but she is still not very good as I couldn't understand what the monkey was saying.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know if I'd stick with it after the first episode but I thought the second episode was good so I'll be watching again next week.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great second episode. Looking forward to next week's 'thick date'.

BTW anyone recognise the neighbour in Hove? It was Charlotte Cornwall from 70's show Rock Follies.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm - I was really looking forward to this and thought that the negative comments were obviously from philistines who couldn't appreciate subtle comedy. Unfortunately, my high hopes were shot down in flames the second that monkey appeared.

I've never heard of Nina Conti, but it was as if she is sleeping with the producer and had been shoehorned into to a 'whacky' role that had been created as an excuse to give her a part. After only about five minutes I found it so irritating that I couldn't take it any more and simply gave up.

What a terrible, appalling misjudgement to include such a misjudged device, although to be honest, the rest of it didn't exactly live up to the glorious praise awarded in some quarters.
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone please tell me what the camp theatre manager was in - its driving me mad! Also - agree about Nina Conti - she and her monkey are beyond irritating
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just realised - he was in Benidorm
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tick Oirish accent must be more hindrance than a boon casting wise .

I've never seen him in anything with an English accent but his American accent in Girls (also HBO - someone there must like him) was terrible so he may have decided to stick with his Irish.

I thought he was great in the IT Crowd but not convinced by him as an actor.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Mmmm - I was really looking forward to this and thought that the negative comments were obviously from philistines who couldn't appreciate subtle comedy. Unfortunately, my high hopes were shot down in flames the second that monkey appeared.

I've never heard of Nina Conti, but it was as if she is sleeping with the producer and had been shoehorned into to a 'whacky' role that had been created as an excuse to give her a part. After only about five minutes I found it so irritating that I couldn't take it any more and simply gave up.

What a terrible, appalling misjudgement to include such a misjudged device, although to be honest, the rest of it didn't exactly live up to the glorious praise awarded in some quarters.

Somehow you managed to miss every other wacky character i.e. all of them.
    From Christopher Guest's blog, linked earlier in the thread.
    I always knew Nina Conti would be involved. Or hoped she would. The part of Bea was created for her.

Nina appeared in For Your Consideration, a film I directed, and she was fantastic. It's amazing to behold her talents as a ventriloquist and as an actress as well.

Not that it matters that much as you won't be coming back to it.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Did you see The Crimson Petal and the White? He was very good in that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've never seen him in anything with an English accent but his American accent in Girls (also HBO - someone there must like him) was terrible so he may have decided to stick with his Irish.

No he does English accents as well, such as in Gulliver's Travels and The Crimson Petal and the White, which as already mentioned he was especially good in.

He has actually had quite a wide variety of roles, but I think he has become more well known for playing the likeable Irish characters.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this show, great second episode!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Did you see The Crimson Petal and the White? He was very good in that.

No, I missed that but checking on IMDB it looks like it has a great cast (love Shirley Henderson) so I'll try to seek it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I missed that but checking on IMDB it looks like it has a great cast (love Shirley Henderson) so I'll try to seek it out.

It's brilliant, a lot of very good performances. Romola Garai is excellent in it. I loved it so much, I read the book straight afterwards. I would definitely recommend that too.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those not in the know, Nina Conti's dad Tom is a famous actor. He was in Shirly Valentine as her lover when she goes on holiday. He played Miranda's dad in her eponimous sitcom.
  • Options
    PerarduamollyPerarduamolly Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I thought the second episode was brilliant, was crying laughing - which hasn't happened in a long long time. Only problem is the very late time slot, hope the BBC bring it back to a respectable time.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only problem is the very late time slot, hope the BBC bring it back to a respectable time.
    The original transmission time is ten o'clock. Were you watching a repeat?
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I thought the second episode was brilliant, was crying laughing - which hasn't happened in a long long time. Only problem is the very late time slot, hope the BBC bring it back to a respectable time.

I just caught up with the first two episodes on iPlayer.
    I'm a big Christopher Guest fan, so was expecting a lot. Overall I'm a little disappointed, though possible my expectations were too high. I agree the second episode was far better than the first. I'm a big Nina Conti fan :o, (saw a wonderful documentary about her career on BBC4 a few years back, well worth watching), and can understand how her character could be irritating if you are unfamiliar with her, but I really enjoyed it, looking forward to episode three. :)

I don't get all the Chris O Dowd criticism, I think he's wonderful, admittedly I've only seen him in Bridesmaids, IT Crowd and on talk shows.
  • Options
    PerarduamollyPerarduamolly Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    The original transmission time is ten o'clock. Were you watching a repeat?

I'm in Dublin - we get BBC NI and it was shown at 11.30pm.

Now they've moved it to the graveyard slot I hope they don't get rid of it altogether. They did that with Grandma's House and I missed the last 2 episodes.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Nina's live stand up act a couple of times and she is very good and very funny.

I agree this isn't the best way to show her talents.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Nina's live stand up act a couple of times and she is very good and very funny.

I agree this isn't the best way to show her talents.

She seems pretty well stacked, so I hope she shows her talents before the end of the series. Unlikely though, as that sort of thing is frowned upon these days, can't have those disgusting men having something worth looking at ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Her human puppet routine is fantastic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acw_LTWnKBU
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Chris O'Dowd is great , so I tuned into this and I really like it.
    The scene with the 'Victorian dildo' in episode one, and the scene in the restaurant in episode 2 were really funny,
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched ep2 last night and it flew by. I was suprised at how fast it seemed to go as it's not laugh a minute or anything.

I didn't see the point of Conti though. She wouldn't have been missed in that episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    I don't get all the Chris O Dowd criticism, I think he's wonderful, admittedly I've only seen him in Bridesmaids, IT Crowd and on talk shows.

In some cases, the criticism may have something to do with the fact that his career has really skyrocketed in the last couple of years or so. :rolleyes::D
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I watched ep2 last night and it flew by. I was suprised at how fast it seemed to go as it's not laugh a minute or anything.

I didn't see the point of Conti though. She wouldn't have been missed in that episode.

I think there's a lot more to be milked from the family and their dynamic, I'd like to see more of that.
    He's got a collection of wacky characters and they've all got to get some air time, I suppose.
    I wonder what quirk this weeks date will have.
    Ellie Taylor and the salt was oddly arousing :eek:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I like the unknowingly un-pc dad. Watching 'those types' of 70s sitcoms and the son correcting Chinaman to Chinese person etc.