Doctor Who Series 3 Episode 8 - 'Human Nature' 26/05/07 19:10

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
Forum Member
✭✭
Built up to be the ‘best episode yet’ will Human Nature (a novel adaptation and the first part of a two-parter) live up to these standards?
One thing is for sure, Episode 8 is going to be Doctor Who with a difference! (also, my first episode thread!! :D)

From Wikipedia

It's 1913 in England, and an ordinary schoolteacher called John Smith is disturbed by dreams of adventures in time and space and a mysterious blue box. But, when lights in the sky herald the arrival of something strange and terrible, Smith's maid, Martha, has to convince him that he alone can save the world.

From BBC

Human Nature. Part 1: England 1913, and a schoolteacher called John Smith has strange dreams of adventures in time and space

From the rumor mill
The Family of Blood are tracking down the Doctor. To hide from them, the Doctor uses a watch of some sort to turn himself human. He works (as John Smith) at a 1913 boys school. (Gets sketchy now) He cant remember who he is and dreams of himself being a timelord and when lights appear in the sky, its Marthas job to remind him who he is. The episode also includes Scarecrows (Jack Straws??) and the rumour of some flashbacks.

So here’s the thread for all the pre and post episode discussions on Paul Cornells ‘Human Nature’.
Happy Posting!

What did you think of this episode? 865 votes

Very Poor
1% 10 votes
Poor
1% 12 votes
Average
2% 20 votes
Good
7% 62 votes
Very Good
21% 185 votes
Excellent
66% 576 votes

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this one, though I find that labels like 'best episode yet' are unhelpful because you can be sure that some people will be watching it to find a reason why it doesn't match up to this billing, but there you go...;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this one, though I find that labels like 'best episode yet' are unhelpful because you can be sure that some people will be watching it to find a reason why it doesn't match up to this billing, but there you go...;)

im just stating the facts! yeah: my opinion-this is either gonna be great or awful. Not middling. Its dangerous putting the Doctor out of action, but it gives Freema a chance to shine. Especially with the axe story...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Of course 'best episode yet' is just an opinion too. But the story seems to give it ground to be good. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im just stating the facts!

I wasn't critising you, sorry if you thought i was..:)

And I agree, if it doesn't work it has the potentail to go badly wrong. From what I've seen, I think it should be a good un, though..:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping the 'humanising' process is given decent treatment , I haven't read the book so I've no idea what's to come ( and don't want to know ! ) but with previous episodes some of the science has been accused of being a bit ropey , so getting this right would be a great start.
    Really no need for the s**** s********** to be involved tonight at least ( except maybe as part of the 'humanising' process but hopefully not - see above ;) ) which will please many.
    Storyline sounds good , trailers look good , so here's hoping
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    im just stating the facts! yeah: my opinion-this is either gonna be great or awful. Not middling. Its dangerous putting the Doctor out of action, but it gives Freema a chance to shine. Especially with the axe story...

Maybe this is the episode where the axe started being sharpened!

Really looking forward to it. Should be a great two-parter. Though I hope there isn`t a lot of DT`s screaming and shouting. He`s been doing a lot of that lately.:rolleyes:

BTW - I`ve been looking for a thread about her appearance on JR last night. Doesn`t seem to have been any interest in her?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well hour and a half till the doctor takes flight. I like the idea of scarecrows but how will they kill?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    well hour and a half till the doctor takes flight. I like the idea of scarecrows but how will they kill?

They`ll draw straws.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geraniums wrote: »
    They`ll draw straws.

go on. get your coat :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geraniums wrote: »

BTW - I`ve been looking for a thread about her appearance on JR last night. Doesn`t seem to have been any interest in her?:confused:

So? The companion should never be as important as the Dr and Billie was too big for boots
  • peppiepeppie Posts: 12,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughters friend is in the episode. She told me motnhts ago about DWs powers going into the watch which seems to be true. Her friend also said that he's supposed to have similar powers to DW, so I'm guessing there maybe some truth in that?? :confused:

Anyway can't wait until tonights episode! :D Last weeks was dire and I don't think I've ever thought that baout an episode before :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to alledged cameo of paul mcgann!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the rumour of some flashbacks.
    Kryptonson wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to alledged cameo of paul mcgann!

Im hoping that too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im hoping that too!

me too...would be a nice touch...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh I love this time of the evening - I get so geeky!
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a weird start :D
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Well this is going to be different. Another one that'll split the audience.

Very ambitious to do it over two episodes, not that I'm criticising them for it.
    Forum Member
    Nice little exposition moment there. :)
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice tip of the hat there to Sylvester Mccoy, Paul Mcgann and William Hartnell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohhh....I liked that bit! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well next weeks will be the best episode then...
    Forum Member
    Oh dear - a perfect Scream: "I'll be right back" death then?
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    Well tis all very odd and intriguing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yikes....something spooky afoot there....:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good so far, wasn't their a hint of the Gelth about that Family of blood voice.