The Big Holby City Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally there have been plenty of characters I've not liked personally, but I have absolutely no issue with other people feeling differently. I don't hate any of the characters, but I wasn't a particular fan of Adele. However, I would have no issue with other viewers liking her and wouldn't find it that difficult to see why some might.

Also, there have been characters I have liked and I can completely understand why others might not like them and have absolutely no problem with that. An example would be Harry Tressler. By the end of his tenure I really liked the character. I fully accept that many others on here did not and can completely understand why they did not. Also, a lot of other viewers would have said that they found him attractive and handsome, but didn't like him as a character. That's absolutely fine too.

You have said you don't like Ollie. I personally do like him and I also think that he is very attractive. I accept the points you make about not liking him and have no issue with that. I would presume there are some others who neither like the character or find him attractive. There are probably some who do like him, but don't find him attractive and others who find him handsome, but don't love the character. All of which are fine.

I fail to see why people cannot have completely different views on the same character. Surely that is all part of the subjectivity of being a viewer and being on these threads.

I don't think anyone on here has said anything which would remotely suggest that they don't find Matteo attractive because he is Italian. That would be like people not finding Spence to be attractive because he is American, Hansenn because he is Swedish, Raf because he is Scottish, Mary Clare and Kara because they were Irish, or for non English viewers Ollie or Harry because they are English. I have never/ever had any indication of that from anyone on this forum.
    Personally, I do think that he is very handsome. I just find Ollie to be moreso. I would fully expect others to think the opposite...

Absolutely LS. Could not agree more.

It would be very boring if we all liked/disliked/fancied or did not fancy the same characters or actors. Diversity is a beautiful thing and to be celebrated imo 😎
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally there have been plenty of characters I've not liked personally, but I have absolutely no issue with other people feeling differently. I don't hate any of the characters, but I wasn't a particular fan of Adele. However, I would have no issue with other viewers liking her and wouldn't find it that difficult to see why some might.

Also, there have been characters I have liked and I can completely understand why others might not like them and have absolutely no problem with that. An example would be Harry Tressler. By the end of his tenure I really liked the character. I fully accept that many others on here did not and can completely understand why they did not. Also, a lot of other viewers would have said that they found him attractive and handsome, but didn't like him as a character. That's absolutely fine too.

You have said you don't like Ollie. I personally do like him and I also think that he is very attractive. I accept the points you make about not liking him and have no issue with that. I would presume there are some others who neither like the character or find him attractive. There are probably some who do like him, but don't find him attractive and others who find him handsome, but don't love the character. All of which are fine.

I fail to see why people cannot have completely different views on the same character. Surely that is all part of the subjectivity of being a viewer and being on these threads.

I don't think anyone on here has said anything which would remotely suggest that they don't find Matteo attractive because he is Italian. That would be like people not finding Spence to be attractive because he is American, Hansenn because he is Swedish, Raf because he is Scottish, Mary Clare and Kara because they were Irish, or for non English viewers Ollie or Harry because they are English. I have never/ever had any indication of that from anyone on this forum.
    Personally, I do think that he is very handsome. I just find Ollie to be moreso. I would fully expect others to think the opposite...

Really good post, and surely it's just the same as in real life ... we don't all walk around liking, disliking, fancying the same people for eaxactly the same reasons ... if we did it would be a very odd world.
    I like the fact that clever writing and casting cause us as viewers to have such different reactions to the same characters, it's what makes watching and analysing so interesting.

Edit - just seen I've said the same as Collins ... :blush::D
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,177
    Forum Member
    Natalie52 wrote: »
    I like Raf...

Triggered anyone?!

I like Raf too. He's got a lovely, smiley, handsome face.

I also find Hansenn very attractive.
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know Donna's first episode?
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh, what a scunner. Not pleased at all that she's coming back.

In terms of gawwwwgeous blokes, Dom's dodgy ex Lee was lovely; I wouldn't kick Isaac out of bed either. Ollie totally leaves me cold - he brings nothing to the show imo - and Matteo is okay, but a bit too pretty. Raf (or rather Joe McFadden) I remember from when he was a teenager in Take the High Road, so I can't see him as eye candy.

Luc, Sam and Alex are much missed; lovely to see Sam appearing in Casualty of late.

Even Diggers was quite cute...
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have thst block with Joe McFadden, remembering him as a young teen in TTHR when I was college age. Does make me feel slightly sleazy re finding him attractive, although he's probably no younger than other actors U like but didn't see on screen until they were well into adulthood.
  • L_SimpsonL_Simpson Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    masterquan wrote: »
    Saying Ollie is 'much better looking' than Rossini is quite frankly ridiculous. Hes not better looking that's why Rossini can play the stud women drool over and Ollie can't. He was cast because of his looks. As a straight male I noticed he was a handsome guy as soon as he came on screen. Plus Ollie is dull, has no swag, whose made Zosia sort of boring too.

I agree!
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Spot on. masterquan needs to chill out and stop attacking people.

I agree. What a bizarre tantrum, frankly.
  • momentarythingmomentarything Posts: 20,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes, I have thst block with Joe McFadden, remembering him as a young teen in TTHR when I was college age. Does make me feel slightly sleazy re finding him attractive, although he's probably no younger than other actors U like but didn't see on screen until they were well into adulthood.

Isn't it strange how attraction works?

It's like how I fancied Marc Elliott rotten when he was on EastEnders, but Isaac is just SO awful and has such an aura of sleaze, I just can't find him attractive as this character even though he's obviously still gorgeous. Shows how well the role is being played, I suppose!
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it strange how attraction works?

It's like how I fancied Marc Elliott rotten when he was on EastEnders, but Isaac is just SO awful and has such an aura of sleaze, I just can't find him attractive as this character even though he's obviously still gorgeous. Shows how well the role is being played, I suppose!

Yes I'm finding that with Marc Elliott, he had definite swoon appeal on EE! Maybe cause his hair was more floppy on EE and I don't really like Issacs dress style- those waistcoats etc and even his voice is more clipped, smile doesn't reach his eyes ... but overall I agree with you it's prob the personalities too. Good actor though as you say to convey that.

I don't find Raf attractive at all, he does nothing for me and I'm starting to find his personality quite irritatating too.

Most attractive for me would prob be Ollie, Rik, Sam ( now in Casualty ) and possibly Sacha. Dom is cute but too boyish for me!

I'm completely undecided about Fletch. Sometimes I find him quite attractive and others not so much!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam is gorgeous such a pity he came back to Casualty rather than Holby although of course I understand why. He would be a good partner for Jac looks wise.
    Forum Member
    Yes, attraction is very odd and really dies have to do with so many things other than physical looks. Body language, voice, accent, personality, sense of humour, confidence, being comfortable in one owns skin, style, behaviour towards others, twinkle in the eye, that 'spark' that you can't quite define....

All these things come into it, with people you.meet on day to day to life and the 'fantasy' crushes of actors, celebrities.

You can think somebody is gorgeous when you first meet them but get to the point you can't understand what you ever found attractive about them once you get to know them if they're a horrible person.

I guess this is even more pronounced with actors as they adopt different personaes and styles for different roles.

One odd one, in that they weren't hugely different in character type and their styling was very similar, is Michael French playing David Wicks and Nick Jordan. David I had a major crush on, really did love him. Nick not so much, in any of his tenures.

Sorry, this has all got a bit off topic but it is interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes, attraction is very odd and really dies have to do with so many things other than physical looks. Body language, voice, accent, personality, sense of humour, confidence, being comfortable in one owns skin, style, behaviour towards others, twinkle in the eye, that 'spark' that you can't quite define....

All these things come into it, with people you.meet on day to day to life and the 'fantasy' crushes of actors, celebrities.

You can think somebody is gorgeous when you first meet them but get to the point you can't understand what you ever found attractive about them once you get to know them if they're a horrible person.

I guess this is even more pronounced with actors as they adopt different personaes and styles for different roles.

One odd one, in that they weren't hugely different in character type and their styling was very similar, is Michael French playing David Wicks and Nick Jordan. David I had a major crush on, really did love him. Nick not so much, in any of his tenures.

Sorry, this has all got a bit off topic but it is interesting.

Totally agree with you about Michael French kitkat. He was so much more attractive as David Wicks than he was as Nick Jordan. He had a swagger as David combined with a vulnerability that was irresistible to me. Nick was cold and aloof except when he was with Zoe imo.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bel110 wrote: »
    Yes I'm finding that with Marc Elliott, he had definite swoon appeal on EE! Maybe cause his hair was more floppy on EE and I don't really like Issacs dress style- those waistcoats etc and even his voice is more clipped, smile doesn't reach his eyes ... but overall I agree with you it's prob the personalities too. Good actor though as you say to convey that.

I don't find Raf attractive at all, he does nothing for me and I'm starting to find his personality quite irritatating too.

Most attractive for me would prob be Ollie, Rik, Sam ( now in Casualty ) and possibly Sacha. Dom is cute but too boyish for me!

I'm completely undecided about Fletch. Sometimes I find him quite attractive and others not so much!

I really fancied Marc in EE due to the longer hair. I'm not keen on his short hair in Holby but he is still very handsome. Great actor and glad we are seeing him portray Isaac as many people slagged him off when he was in EE as a bad actor. I think Syed was meant to be a bit wet!
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of those currently in Holby, Sacha is the only one I might find attractive.

Of the former cast members, it would probably be Daniel Clifford, played by Peter WIngfield.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg Douglas was my number one love :blush:
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Joe McFadden who plays Ralf, there are some cast departures on the way.
  • LucytashLucytash Posts: 5,897
    Forum Member
    According to Joe McFadden who plays Ralf, there are some cast departures on the way.
    Where did you read that and do you know who's on their way where did you read that and do you know who's on it on their way out out?!
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucytash wrote: »
    Where did you read that and do you know who's on their way where did you read that and do you know who's on it on their way out out?!

Inside Soap. No, I don't know.
  • SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that we've finally got the forum back I've forgotten all the really interesting things I had to say about last week's episode.😱

I think the whole Dom/Isaac storyline is very disturbing. Isaac using the patient's history with his father as his own was creepy. Didn't Dom do something similar a few years ago?
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 27/02/17 - 16:28 #4172
    Lucytash wrote: »
    Catherine Russell is taking a break soon to do some theatre, and it wouldn't surprise me if Ollie and Zosia are leaving. I don't suppose it'll be any time soon, but I'd imagine Isaac will also be leaving when his storyline with Dom comes to a climax.

Interview with Catherine Russell on This Morning. With a new and very short haircut!

I was very pleased to see last week that Hanssen wasn't as enthusiastic about Isaac as everyone else seems to be. I'm not sure if I believed Isaac's breakdown with Dom and the backstory he gave him. I'd like to believe it and that Isaac is sincere in wanting to change, but I'm too cynical for that. I'm sure it's just another way to manipulate Dom.

Serena is getting seriously out of control with Jasmine. I know she's grieving but something has to break. Neither she nor Jasmine can continue this way. Serena's mentorship of Jasmine is destructive and unhealthy for them both.

I can't remember what else I wanted to say... I should have made notes!
  • KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetiecat wrote: »
    Now that we've finally got the forum back I've forgotten all the really interesting things I had to say about last week's episode.😱

I think the whole Dom/Isaac storyline is very disturbing. Isaac using the patient's history with his father as his own was creepy. Didn't Dom do something similar a few years ago?

I found that really creepy too, he was very convincing with the way he told it which gave me the shivers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really thought that Issac had killed the cage fighter guy on purpose. He is so sinister and so well acted by Marc Elliott.

• rustytrawlerrustytrawler Posts: 2,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    Interview with Catherine Russell on This Morning. With a new and very short haircut!

And very nice too!

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lee Mead starting filming last week and has guessed that he'll be on screen at the end of May. However, with knowing that Berena kissed the day after the Brexit result, I found that their episode was aired 10 weeks after that, so I'm thinking that we might see Lofty at the end of April. I wonder if Isaac will still be around then?