Peter Skellern dies

Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The singer was 69, had an inoperable brain tumour.

'You're A Lady' one of the songs I remember growing up.

Comments

• LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news. :(
    One of my favourite songs of all time is You're A Lady.

He was ordained as a priest in the Church of England last year.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/peter-skellern-dead-pop-singer-9839220

RIP Reverend Peter.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful news. 'You're a Lady' was a masterpiece, and much of his later stuff like 'Too much, I'm in Love' and 'Still Magic' was pretty nice too. We saw him and Richard Stilgoe performing together at the Bridgewater Hall a few years ago and they were hilarious. RIP Peter.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Awful news. 'You're a Lady' was a masterpiece, and much of his later stuff like 'Too much, I'm in Love' and 'Still Magic' was pretty nice too. We saw him and Richard Stilgoe performing together at the Bridgewater Hall a few years ago and they were hilarious. RIP Peter.

It was and is. Wonderful piece of music.

Sad news.
  • Gary BaldiGary Baldi Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then followed it up in 1975 with something sounding very contemporary- 'Hold On To Love'.
    Sad that his death isn't getting much attention. On the BBC entertainment page it is almost downplaying his past by saying that a priest who used to be a singer has died.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing in the Daily Mail at all. Imagine if Katie Price or Cheryl Cole signed off, it would go into meltdown.
  • philphilistinephilphilistine Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Sad to hear. When I was in a band in the eighties, one of our pub gigs was on the same night as Peter's performance at the Victora Hall (Stoke-on-Trent) a few miles away, and I always argued (unsuccessfully) that our low turnout was due to all the punters seeing Peter Skellern instead :D:D
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Baldi wrote: »
    then followed it up in 1975 with something sounding very contemporary- 'Hold On To Love'.
    Sad that his death isn't getting much attention. On the BBC entertainment page it is almost downplaying his past by saying that a priest who used to be a singer has died.

Yes I had the same thought. I think they made the wrong choice there.
  • cromwellcromwell Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A talented musician
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Baldi wrote: »

My own favourite song of his came later in 1975, entitled Hard Times.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hal3Rj1HfK8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I loved him and Stilgoe together :(
  • Kitty CatKitty Cat Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Sad to hear. :(
  • eff_imdbeff_imdb Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    You sort of got the vibe from him that he is a genuine type of guy.