For those grumbling over the 3.8MB T-Mobile speed cap...

Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
Forum Member
Hi all,

Even though I am employed by EE (and unashamedly so) I have made no excuses that my last 2 phones have been with O2 and Vodafone respectively. O2 first as they were the only ones with the iPhone at the time and then Vodafone as I moved and at the time they were the only ones with decent signal indoors.

Since then T-Mobile have put a 3G mast up on a pub up the road and EE re-launched their staff plan offers so I ordered a new iPhone with T-Mobile and it arrived yesterday. Number ported from Vodafone today (excellent) and I've been playing with data speeds today.

Yes, with Vodafone I got pockets of 2-4MBit/sec, but in some areas it hit 1MBit/sec. I have to admit that with T-Mob today my connection has been 2.5-3.8MBit in all areas and has been rock solid with ultra-low ping of 68ms. I've also got 3G in more places and less dropouts.

We've not got the "Smart Share" that I've been bleating on about but that should be here in the next 4 weeks however I have to admit I'm impressed with T-Mobiles data network - it is not always the fastest however it seems to be the most consistent. I have noticed that even with tethering my iPad streaming Sky Sports my iPhone still browsed web pages pretty fast. :)

Comments

• denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That might be where you live, but I wouldn't call their speeds exactly consistent where I live. And if I had 2.5+ all the time I might be grumbling less. But that's not the case. 2.5+ seems more an exception. And it's still no excuse to a) cap people in the first place, even on Full Monty, b) lie about it/not admit to it.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    It was merely an observation....
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Even though I am employed by EE (and unashamedly so) I have made no excuses that my last 2 phones have been with O2 and Vodafone respectively. O2 first as they were the only ones with the iPhone at the time and then Vodafone as I moved and at the time they were the only ones with decent signal indoors.

Since then T-Mobile have put a 3G mast up on a pub up the road and EE re-launched their staff plan offers so I ordered a new iPhone with T-Mobile and it arrived yesterday. Number ported from Vodafone today (excellent) and I've been playing with data speeds today.

Yes, with Vodafone I got pockets of 2-4MBit/sec, but in some areas it hit 1MBit/sec. I have to admit that with T-Mob today my connection has been 2.5-3.8MBit in all areas and has been rock solid with ultra-low ping of 68ms. I've also got 3G in more places and less dropouts.

We've not got the "Smart Share" that I've been bleating on about but that should be here in the next 4 weeks however I have to admit I'm impressed with T-Mobiles data network - it is not always the fastest however it seems to be the most consistent. I have noticed that even with tethering my iPad streaming Sky Sports my iPhone still browsed web pages pretty fast. :)

Well I dunno where you work then, because every time I ring T-Mobile I get through to Delhi or somewhere and the customer service is shocking.

Regarding speeds, I have actually been fairly unimpressed, the only thing going for T-Mobile right now imo, is the 6 months BB option for £20...though on recent performance in terms of CS, I'll be leaving them soon
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the crazy thing is that the T-Mobile mast is geographically closest to my house but it gives the worst signal - get signal by window at front of house, basically no building penetration whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the title of the thread sounded a bit like "Get a grip, people. The speeds are fine and all is hunky dory."
    I am not having a go at you, you might not have any problems, but others surely have.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    For me, the crazy thing is that the T-Mobile mast is geographically closest to my house but it gives the worst signal - get signal by window at front of house, basically no building penetration whatsoever.

THe antenna will more than likely be facing in a different direction from you.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

Got to agree with you plymouth. T-Mobile data network is very good. Coverage is great and data thoughput pretty good. I have had 7 meg as I have business tethering on my account. Orange on the other hand is well dreadful. I have been trying to load a page for three days at work! Lol. CS did say there was a fault but it has been rectified. Pages still dont load though or extreeememly slooooowwly.

With regard to smart share. I notice that it waits until the 3g signal is just about lost but then transfers over to the other networks 2g signal for up to 30 seconds before going on to 3g. The 3g signal on the other network is strong FYI.
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me as an Orange user T-Mobile's network is much more consistent with data speeds and ping times and Orange is all over the place.

Never had an issue with signal on either and hoping when they finish the backhaul upgrades and 21/42 HSPA+ as well it will provide a more consistent experience.

@plymouthbloke1974 I think Vodafone have dropped the ball some what and are seemingly doing nothing to their network so good choice in going to T-Mobile.
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Well I dunno where you work then, because every time I ring T-Mobile I get through to Delhi or somewhere and the customer service is shocking.

I think the answer is in my username :)

I work for the Orange side of the business.
    Forum Member
    daleski75 wrote: »
    @plymouthbloke1974 I think Vodafone have dropped the ball some what and are seemingly doing nothing to their network so good choice in going to T-Mobile.

Admittedly indoors the signal isn't quite as good (I have been spoilt though as we have a Voda street mast literally opposite) but in 95% of the house it's totally fine even on 1 bar of signal. Also the discount swung it for me ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full signal, close to mast, -81dBM, doesn't look that great to me!

viewer.php?file=csdkoe1u6l4saxyrl54x.jpg
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »

Why does your phone not show the network it's on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Android phones don't show the network, unless you pull down the notification bar. I wasn't actually secretly using a different network.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's really bad, didn't you tell me a few weeks ago that Orange is more consistent but you have crap Orange signal where you live - u just cant win :mad:
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmmm...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the title of the thread sounded a bit like "Get a grip, people. The speeds are fine and all is hunky dory."
    I am not having a go at you, you might not have any problems, but others surely have.

Quite. That's just how I took the thread title as well, so you're not the only one.

Anyway...
    Hi all,

I'm sure you mean well with all this, but IMHO you're rather missing the point of why people are grumbling about T-Mobile's speed cap. It's not so much the actual capping that's at issue (though personally with all this capping going on it makes me glad I'm on Three) it's that T-Mobile are being... how can I put this diplomatically... evasive about it at best. Yes there may be an argument for how much speed do you really need on a handset, which I know has been used in previous threads on here, but while capping is being done in (relative) secret it's a bit of a moot point and isn't really a defence.

I don't know, if that's how T-Mobile want to handle all this then that's up to them. For my part, considering you're getting a ping of 68ms you're probably in a HSPA+ enabled area, which means that if you used Three you'd likely get higher than the download speeds you mention... when using the same mast... which is interesting, but hey ho, as long as it suits you personally then so be it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get full signal with T-Mobile at work, but speeds are quite bad like shown in the screenshot. Orange has better speeds, but happily jumps between 2 bars on 3G and 4 bars on 2G. Not exactly ideal on battery. I know I could set it to 3G only, but I tend to forget to put it to Auto again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Android phones don't show the network, unless you pull down the notification bar. I wasn't actually secretly using a different network.

They do (to a degree) if you use this app; Phono
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi lost boy. I know it is possible to display the network with widgets, but in the case of the screenshot it wouldn't have helped. But thanks :)
    Btw, is there actually an app to show the network in the notification bar?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually i'm capped at 7.5mbps so thats what I usually get & anyone on T-Mobile would get the T-Mobile cap - Although today I managed to un-cap it by using a different APN (Orange, Not T-Mobile) and got this beauty http://pic.twitter.com/k6mgCRys in a HSPA+ area!

Basically, you don't need more than 7.5mbps on a phone and even if 3.8mbps was consistent that would be okay too but its not the point, the point is they shouldn't be capping in the first place, then lying about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi lost boy. I know it is possible to display the network with widgets, but in the case of the screenshot it wouldn't have helped. But thanks :)
    Btw, is there actually an app to show the network in the notification bar?

No problem :)

BiB - yes, Phono, that's why I mentioned it :D it shows the (parent) network logo in the notification bar. The "to a degree" was because both 'Orange' and 'Orange T-Mobile' show the Orange logo, vice versa for T-Mobile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mistake. I only saw the screenshots and I thought it was only widgets and the logo wasn't related to the app. Shame though it shows the same for both networks.

Edit "Funnily enough after playing around with the settings, it does show the Orange logo now" :D
    Forum Member
    lost boy wrote: »
    Hmmmm...

Quite. That's just how I took the thread title as well, so you're not the only one.

Anyway...

I'm sure you mean well with all this, but IMHO you're rather missing the point of why people are grumbling about T-Mobile's speed cap. It's not so much the actual capping that's at issue (though personally with all this capping going on it makes me glad I'm on Three) it's that T-Mobile are being... how can I put this diplomatically... evasive about it at best. Yes there may be an argument for how much speed do you really need on a handset, which I know has been used in previous threads on here, but while capping is being done in (relative) secret it's a bit of a moot point and isn't really a defence.

I don't know, if that's how T-Mobile want to handle all this then that's up to them. For my part, considering you're getting a ping of 68ms you're probably in a HSPA+ enabled area, which means that if you used Three you'd likely get higher than the download speeds you mention... when using the same mast... which is interesting, but hey ho, as long as it suits you personally then so be it. :)

Ironically the T-Mobile 3G mast down the road is not an MBNL mast and has no 3 equipment on it. My 3 reception is dire as I've checked before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironically the T-Mobile 3G mast down the road is not an MBNL mast and has no 3 equipment on it. My 3 reception is dire as I've checked before.

Interesting... So it's T-Mobile only
    Forum Member
    Yes. In the same way up by my local Tesco there is a 3 mast that doesn't have any T-Mobile 3G kit on it.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, are folks really complaining about speeds just short of 4MB on a mobile phone?

I can barely get 1.5MB through a landline!