Worst episode titles?

2»

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Deadly Assassin is quite a silly title. Probably meant to be though.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything trite.

'Nightmare in Silver', for example. 'Silver Nemesis'. 'A Town Called Mercy'.

Anything very banal and obvious:

'Revenge of the Cybermen'. 'Attack of the Cybermen'. 'The Robots of Death'. 'The Deadly Assassin' (which is also, famously, a tautology). 'The Dalek's Masterplan', 'The Christms Invasion', 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship'.

'A Good Man Goes to War' I always hated, because it's so tacky and pompous.

It's second part 'Let's Kill Hitler' was so self-consciously pretentious that it always made me cringe.

I hate when people call 'The Edge of Destruction' two-parter 'Inside the Spaceship', because the TARDIS isn't a spaceship.

Titles that are totally unevocative:

'Day of the Moon', 'Battlefield', 'The Twin Dilemma', 'Timelash', 'The Long Game', '42', 'Closing Time'

Anything with the word 'evil' in it, one of the blandest, most meaningless adjectives a writer can use:

'Planet of Evil', 'The Mind of Evil', 'The Face of Evil'. The last one I will maybe let off the hook, because it was a thematic pun.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Although λογος does mean "words", it has evolved into the suffix "-logy" (eg. Geology, Theology, Pharmacology) which means "study of". If you think of it as "City of Study" it makes a bit more sense.

Nice. Thanks for that.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Then you need to read up a bit more. Do you think that the rabid fandom of Doctor Who would not ask why this happened before now? The production team was not settled at the time, Coombe was a new director and thought that 'and the' was proper protocol so it mistakenly went ahead, is the generally accepted account based on what Coombe has stated when asked.
    The way things were done in 1970's BBC...an interesting topic.
    Fair enough, if that's come "from the horse's mouth".
    I'm still surprised it got that far without being queried, but there you go.
    I obviously do need to read up more!
    :)