Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

*Elle*90*Elle*90 Posts: 3,593
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So, there may have been a thread on here about this before.

I just wanted to make a thread to see if there was any long time Potter fans wanting to discuss anything, The spoilers were released recently, I only just realized it today. I hadn't initially thought much about the Cursed Child because to me it was a play in a country I don't live in so I didn't see there was much to be focusing on until later. I figured if the play ever was to come to other countries or whatnot I would check it out then. I knew a book form was coming out and I did intend to maybe check that out at some point. I didn't really realize what the play was until recently, but I guess no one really did.

When I started to read the spoilers(i really couldn't care less about feeling guilty as to me it hardly counts as cheating when to me it's not the book series tiself) I honestly assumed it was meant as some "What if" and maybe this could be what happened years later - type of thing. I assumed it wasn't true canon though. Especially reading it as the tone and the story itself doesn't really go along with the initial book series or any of the previous extra material.

And I was FINE with that because I thought of it more like semi canon and Alternative Universe canon. But now that I am reading that apparently it is meant to be canon, I feel very confused. First of all
actual events occurring in the Cursed Child don't really make sense - such as Lestrange having had Voldemort's secret daughter. Of course JK herself confirmed Bellatrix was in love with Voldemort years ago. Though it was sufficiently hinted at in the text without confirmation. Of course Voldemort certainly didn't return the feelings. However, it doesn't make sense that this could occur in the book events. When was this supposed to have happened and why would it have been such a secret? I can easily imagine Tom Riddle being able to impregnate a woman, but this girl would have had to have been conceived when Voldemort was resurrected? It's hard to imagine him being human enough to father a child.I can also go along with the idea that maybe Voldemort decided to pass on his genes. I was almost going to say sire an heir - but that doesn't really work because his ultimate goal was immortality. BUT see none of this matters to me if it's not canon, It all sounds and plays out like a sort of adult soap opera ish version of events. Which for a play I am fine with. But as actual canon it does not work. Everything else JK has ever released - her Pottermore information, her extra releases - such as Rita Skeeter's writings of the quidditch world cup where she gossips about Harry, Ron and Hermione's families. It all fits the tone of the original series.

Also I may be wrong but I recall JK previously stating that Hermione becomes the Head of Magical Law Enforcement at the Ministry and Harry becomes head Auror.
In the Cursed Child apparently Harry is the Head of Magical Law Enforcement. It didn't say what Hermione was. NOW it can be argued Harry was promoted from head Auror to Magical Law Enforcement office. However, it's hard to imagine Harry agreeing to take that position when it's clear that's never been his style. I don't mind the idea of "What if Harry was an over worked father with a job he didn't really enjoy?" Fine, whatever - but for canon?

Don't get me wrong, I think the play sounds like a semi bizarre romp with all the "What ifs?"
The main theme seems to be the horrible implications of time travel by use of the Time Turners. It's interesting to see alternate realities popping up in the story due to the Tim Turners. Voldemort's Hitler - esque reign over Britain. Umbridge still being Head Mistress, Snape being alive. Harry having been killed at the Battle of Hogwarts. Ron and Hermione enemies of the state in hiding.

LOL and my personal favourite = Cedric Diggory losing the Tri Wizard Tournament and being shamed and humilated by it so ends up becoming a dark wizard. Pfft. Ha, see it does sound almost like parody or seriously AU

Comments

• EverlastingEverlasting Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Hello I'm not reading spoilers so I'm not clicking on them, but the spoilers could easily be fake. Apparently the twitter account that was saying these spoilers has been deleted, so probably was fake spoilers as well.
    The reviews for this have been amazing though so it cant be bad, if everyone who has watched it is saying its to good for words.
    Im waiting for the script book myself and cant wait for it, i reckon you should pre order it so that way you get reliable information.
    And i know that lots of Americans are pissed of that its being done in Britain, so trying to rain on cursed childs parade, just take everything you read with a pinch of salt and wait for the book :):D:p
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    The spoilers sound horrible and if they turn out to be true then JK is a complete idiot that has turned a lot of fans off her work.
  • stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this yesterday. Overall liked it a lot- technically spectacular and loads of stuff in there just for HP fans. I would say, though, that even now I'm struggling to recognise it is as actually counting as canon. Felt a little fan fictiony in parts, but overall nothing I can't make my peace with because it really is an epic show. Can see those who just read the script being quite disappointed though. The sheer spectacle of the show allowed me to forgive certain things that would probably have irked a lot more if I was just reading it.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Utterly terrible and self indulgent, this is Rowling's Star Wars prequels.
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone read it yet? I've read it this morning and thought it was good. Don't want to say more till I know others have read it.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . Any story with time travel is asking for problems
    Anyone else think it would have been cool if instead of the adults going back in time that the kids used James's wand which is why he didn't have it to proctext himself Lilly or Harry and then use a time turner from 1981 to go back to the present

JK said it had to be done as a stage play, I don't see why???
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Sounds like there are a lot of fans and critics who have been so wowed by the director's effects and the stunts etc which are part of the show that they have ignored the fact that the script doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt the script made sense, although as with all the later Harry Potter books, I feel that it needs a second read to get all the fine details in place.

Not sure why it needed to be a play rather than a story and movie, and I was concerned about reading it as a script, but I found it wasn't a problem at all and read very well,
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished it and was a little disappointed with the plot. It didn't surprise me and was a bit predictable. When I originally read the books I remember it wasn't easy to guess what would happen. It did seem a bit 'fan fiction' in places.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I really loved it, though there were remarkable fan fiction esque parts (without spoilers, I wrote a fan fiction about the cursed child myself, and I was 15 and it was horrible.)

Some great homages to the original plot, but I did feel it was missing JK's "magic" touch - you can tell she wasn't lead writer on it.

I've got tickets for January, and was worried I wouldn't be able to avoid spoilers for that long, so caved.

Glad I read it, and have that little "aww man" feeling about there being no more Potter books...until JK gets bored and writes another.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2 sentences at the bottom of page 29 read like they'd be toe curlingly awful live or on screen.

I dunno. I'm sure it'd be amazing live, but on paper it's all a bit well worn and tired.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read this yesterday. No plans to see the play (I wish I could afford to :() but I can imagine that when you're watching it, you can forget some of the more hokey elements in the script. As discussed, the plot point with
    Voldemort and Bellatrix having a child together is plain weird and bizare and I kept waiting for there to be a twist which never came.

My other real issue with it was that you finally had a really decent, sweet and good Malfoy in Scorpius, and we were inexplicably asked to
    root for him and Rose, who treated him throughout the play like something she'd scraped off the bottom of her shoe. It's even more galling that Albus and Scorpius had a real and genuine emotional connection, and JK Rowling finally had the opportunity to answer the criticism she received for retrospectively declaring Dumbledore was gay, rather than making it obvious in the text, by having Albus and Scorpius fall in love (particularly as there was meant to be parallels in their relationship to Snape/Lily) and she didn't take it up. I BELIEVED in Albus and Scorpius; their relationship was the emotional centre of the play, and for once I'd have liked to have seen JK Rowling put her money where her mouth is and acknowledge that gay wizards are out there, that they exist.

So yes, I had real mixed feelings about this in general and I think in some ways it does prove that some things are better left as they are. I didn't think this was a necessary add-on to the universe, it really didn't add anything new or exciting.

Edit: Also, very disappointing that Teddy Lupin wasn't in it or even mentioned considering he featured in the epilogue of the books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I read this yesterday. No plans to see the play (I wish I could afford to :() but I can imagine that when you're watching it, you can forget some of the more hokey elements in the script. As discussed, the plot point with
    Voldemort and Bellatrix having a child together is plain weird and bizare and I kept waiting for there to be a twist which never came.

My other real issue with it was that you finally had a really decent, sweet and good Malfoy in Scorpius, and we were inexplicably asked to
    root for him and Rose, who treated him throughout the play like something she'd scraped off the bottom of her shoe. It's even more galling that Albus and Scorpius had a real and genuine emotional connection, and JK Rowling finally had the opportunity to answer the criticism she received for retrospectively declaring Dumbledore was gay, rather than making it obvious in the text, by having Albus and Scorpius fall in love (particularly as there was meant to be parallels in their relationship to Snape/Lily) and she didn't take it up. I BELIEVED in Albus and Scorpius; their relationship was the emotional centre of the play, and for once I'd have liked to have seen JK Rowling put her money where her mouth is and acknowledge that gay wizards are out there, that they exist.

So yes, I had real mixed feelings about this in general and I think in some ways it does prove that some things are better left as they are. I didn't think this was a necessary add-on to the universe, it really didn't add anything new or exciting.

Edit: Also, very disappointing that Teddy Lupin wasn't in it or even mentioned considering he featured in the epilogue of the books.

Totallya gree about
    Shipping Al & Scorpius, I really thought that might be a thing

I was really disappointed there was no mention of Fred.
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    WOW I absolutely loved this. I was first in the queue for the book shop opening yesterday morning (they weren't allowed to open at midnight) and spent all day yesterday reading it - I haven't been able to read a book that quickly for ages but it was gripping. It really is amazing. It's everything I hoped for and more, the story is brilliant, and there are some lovely touching lines. One in particular brought a tear to my eye (p 209), and I was a blubbing mess by the end, I can only imagine that being worse on stage if ever I'm lucky enough to get tickets. It took a bit of getting used to being in script form, and the main characters from the originals now being adults, but I love how it connected in with what we all remember, it really did feel like a Harry Potter story.
  • KekebearKekebear Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Going to start this tomorrow; I have a feeling that it won't take me longer than a few hours.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Finished it today (I've been reading a bit every day to make it last, sad I know), I totally loved it!
    Some great homages to the original plot, but I did feel it was missing JK's "magic" touch - you can tell she wasn't lead writer on it.

I did think that too, don't know if some of that was because it was all dialogue. Some things that were said didn't seem quite in character/in sync with canon, but those were just small niggles for me (and the script is the rehearsal edition, so that stuff might have been changed by now).

Glad I read it, and have that little "aww man" feeling about there being no more Potter books...until JK gets bored and writes another.

Ohhh I so have that feeling too...
    One in particular brought a tear to my eye (p 209), and I was a blubbing mess by the end

Same, same :)
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »

Is it really such a crime that Albus and Scorpius aren't gay? It's hardly like the wizard world lives in a vacuum and JK is a supporter of gay right. Dumbledores sexuality isn't referenced. Isn't that where society is going? A world where it doesn't matter to people what kind of relationship people are in?, Just accept their relationship for what it is. 2 boys who are just very good friends. That's just as powerful as a love between 2 gay people.

For what is worth no one was going to get what they wanted from the book. I thought Luna and Neville might have featured more for example but I liked the way they featured Snape into the story. I liked the way the "what if" scenarios were explored in the story with the time turners, But most of all I was interested in the relationship between Harry and Draco and how he grew up to be "part of the gang" as it were.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    I felt the script made sense, although as with all the later Harry Potter books, I feel that it needs a second read to get all the fine details in place.

Not sure why it needed to be a play rather than a story and movie, and I was concerned about reading it as a script, but I found it wasn't a problem at all and read very well,

I am certain we will eventually see a movie for this.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    It's a $1bn movie waiting to be made.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/harry-potter/feature/a806391/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-film-not-until-2026/

Actually Harry is 40 for the majority of the play which makes it even more problematic.

If they wait for Radcliffe, Watson and Grint to age into the roles Maggie Smith will by then be in her nineties and Michael Gambon's health has already forced him to give up stage work. Snape will have to be recast and there is a real risk of losing other members of the cast in the interim.

The time travel plot also causes casting problems, as Robert Pattinson will be too old to play Cedric Diggory again unless they try to use CGI to "de-age" him like Jeff Bridges in Tron:Legacy.

One interesting thing about the play is how it makes explicit the 90s setting of the original stories which was almost hidden in the books (I'm pretty sure Dudley has a PlayStation a couple of years too early) and ignored in the films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/harry-potter/feature/a806391/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-film-not-until-2026/

Actually Harry is 40 for the majority of the play which makes it even more problematic.

If they wait for Radcliffe, Watson and Grint to age into the roles Maggie Smith will by then be in her nineties and Michael Gambon's health has already forced him to give up stage work. Snape will have to be recast and there is a real risk of losing other members of the cast in the interim.

The time travel plot also causes casting problems, as Robert Pattinson will be too old to play Cedric Diggory again unless they try to use CGI to "de-age" him like Jeff Bridges in Tron:Legacy.

One interesting thing about the play is how it makes explicit the 90s setting of the original stories which was almost hidden in the books (I'm pretty sure Dudley has a PlayStation a couple of years too early) and ignored in the films.

I don't think we need to worry too much about getting the original trio back, especially when you consider the play is given an entirely new cast.

The biggest hurdles are, J.K.'s approval of the project, waiting for the play to finish its run and of course Warner Bro's are currently commited to the Fantastic Beasts Trilogy.

I'd fancy Radcliffe to eventually come back and reprise the role as a drawer for the ling time fans but it goes without saying for me that the cast of the film if it's ever released will be different/.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we need to worry too much about getting the original trio back, especially when you consider the play is given an entirely new cast.

The biggest hurdles are, J.K.'s approval of the project, waiting for the play to finish its run and of course Warner Bro's are currently commited to the Fantastic Beasts Trilogy.

I'd fancy Radcliffe to eventually come back and reprise the role as a drawer for the ling time fans but it goes without saying for me that the cast of the film if it's ever released will be different/.

To be honest I'm not sure if it will ever be filmed. I think Rowling has specifically aimed "Cursed Child" and "Fantastic Beasts..." at theatre and cinema audiences respectively.

Presuming it was filmed eventually however Warner Bros would definitely prefer to have as many of the original film cast as possible, but going with the original stage cast instead would also be problematic as many of them play multiple roles and the younger members would probably be too old by the time it finishes it's run. It would also open up the whole Hermione row again.

Talk of a trilogy seems far fetched, especially as overstretching source material clearly worked against the Hobbit, Divergent and even the Hunger Games. More likely would be two parts made back to back released 6-12 months apart.

I suspect what Warner Bros would really like is for "Cursed Child" to be the start of an "Albus Potter" series but whether Rowling would be interested is doubtful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not sure if it will ever be filmed. I think Rowling has specifically aimed "Cursed Child" and "Fantastic Beasts..." at theatre and cinema audiences respectively.

Presuming it was filmed eventually however Warner Bros would definitely prefer to have as many of the original film cast as possible, but going with the original stage cast instead would also be problematic as many of them play multiple roles and the younger members would probably be too old by the time it finishes it's run. It would also open up the whole Hermione row again.

Talk of a trilogy seems far fetched, especially as overstretching source material clearly worked against the Hobbit, Divergent and even the Hunger Games. More likely would be two parts made back to back released 6-12 months apart.

I suspect what Warner Bros would really like is for "Cursed Child" to be the start of an "Albus Potter" series but whether Rowling would be interested is doubtful.

I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes for a CC film but I do think we'll get one. As for the Hermoine thing... Total non issue. Yes the theatre actress didn't fit my vision of the character but that's because I "met" Emma Watsons Hermoine first and not formed my own image of the character through the books. Which of I'm honest would not have included being black but that's another issue. Hermoines race was never clarified in the books I believe.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.K. Rowling has three new Harry Potter short stories coming out on 6th September in e-book form. Although not new for those on Pottermore, apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37105499/were-getting-new-hogwarts-stories-from-jk-rowling-next-month

What they're about:
    One of the collections will "profile two of the Harry Potter stories' most courageous and iconic characters: Minerva McGonagall and Remus Lupin".

It will also look "behind the closed curtains of Sybill Trelawney's life".

The guide to Hogwarts will look more at the "permanent residents" and "discover secrets of the castle".

The third will look at the "darker side of the wizarding world", featuring the "ruthless roots of Professor Umbridge, the lowdown on the Ministers for Magic and the history of the wizarding prison Azkaban".

It will also look again at Tom Riddle, and when Horace Slughorn taught Potions.

Has anybody here read them?:)

These look more like my type of HP stories. I did read The Cursed Child. It definitely missed Jo's touch, as said above.

It was all right.

Young Albus was a bit of a pain.

I, too, was in bits after reading Act Three Scene 9.
    I wondered if it was some kind of tribute to Alan Rickman. :cry: