Kick-Ass 2: Balls to the wall

1234568»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I wasn't meaning that really, I was just pointing out that it was shocking that Kick Ass 2 couldn't even beat Planes in it's second week. Most box office analysts this past weekend thought that Kick Ass would adjust up slightly to second place when the actuals were reported, but instead if was adjusted down below 3 other films in their second weekend.

I should also point out though that just because a film is a kids film doesn't necessarily mean that it's critic proof, the parents who take their kids to the cinema still read reviews, and if something is critically destroyed like Planes and The Smurfs 2 then the film always generally underperforms expectations, especially in the case of The Smurfs 2 which bombed a few weeks ago. Planes opened "okay" to $22 million last weekend, but compare that to other Disney cartoons, especially Cars which Planes was a spin off from, and you can see that Planes (even without Pixar) is nowhere near the usual box office standard for Disney.
    Seeing as Planes cost around $50m, I can't see Disney complaining
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I was looking forward to watching this. Is it worth going to the cinema this week to watch it?

I saw it today. I love the first one and this, sadly, wasn't a patch on it. It's enjoyable though, and definitely watchable, but it's really not even close to being as good as part one.
    Forum Member
    I saw it today. I love the first one and this, sadly, wasn't a patch on it. It's enjoyable though, and definitely watchable, but it's really not even close to being as good as part one.

Having seen both, would you say that the second one is nastier? I've heard some reviewers (who don't seem prudish normally) say that parts of the film felt a bit "mean" and "nasty", but not in a good way, if that makes sense.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. Hmmm think I'll wait for the dvd. Watch Thor or Riddick when they come out instead
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen both, would you say that the second one is nastier? I've heard some reviewers (who don't seem prudish normally) say that parts of the film felt a bit "mean" and "nasty", but not in a good way, if that makes sense.

I suppose it's a little meaner, yes, but that's mainly due to the Mother Russia character and the scenes she's in. I think violence wise, the first one was more violent though.

There's enough of that here, but it's more in line with what you'd see in a regular hollywood action film in many places.

Christopher Mintz-Plasse is quite brilliant as The Motherf**ker though. One reviewer said he should be henceforth be known as McFu*kin', in homage to two such iconic characters :)

I'm just waiting for someone to call their pub quiz team after Motherf**ker's gang name though - The Toxic Mega C**ts :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I saw this on Friday and was disappointed, but only because I enjoyed the first film so much. I think centering an 'adult' film around a 14/15 year old girl is problematic and the general theme of the movie also seems confused: I'm not sure I get whatever revelation Kick Ass has at the end.

It has a lot of good scenes and the acting is fine. Jim Carrey was obviously good but he gets a lot less screen time than I was expecting.

But they didn't centre the film around her. If you were to go back and rewatch it you would find that she is missing from a lot of the film and her storyline(s) aren't even the central focus of the film.
    The whole Mother****er storyline had nothing to do with her. It was about Red Mist's hatred of Kick Ass, not Hit Girl.
    The creation of a group od super villains had nothing to do with her.
    Kick Ass joining a group whilst she was part of the catalyst of him joining the group, she wasn't part of it.

Mindy's actual story for most of the film was, she had started at a new school, she didn't fit in, she didn't want to be there. She was being stopped from what she wanted to do by her surrogate parent (however you want to describe him).

Had you have not had Mindy/Hit Girl in the film at all, pretty much everything else could have still happened with the smallest of tweeks. I don't think the general theme of the film was confused at all. If anything the confusion was caused by the inclusion of Hit Girl.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen the first one, saw the second one last night and enjoyed it lots more than i expected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Not seen the first one, saw the second one last night and enjoyed it lots more than i expected.

WATCH THE FIRST ONE ! :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how come Kick-Ass is still in school ? :confused: it's 4 years later .
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how come Kick-Ass is still in school ? :confused: it's 4 years later .

I wondered that too. Was he 14 in the first one, because I never got that impression!? Maybe it was to try and justify the hints of romance between Hit Girl and Kick Ass. Problem is, the actor who plays Kick Ass is in his late 20s, and while Hit Girl has grown up a lot since movie 1, she still looks very young in this.

I thought this movie rocked in all honesty. It was funny, shocking, touching... everything that made the first movie so great. I don't think it quite reaches the heights of movie 1, but I still really enjoyed it. I guess my only gripe is that they kind of did away with the nice romantic sub-plot from the first movie. I see why they did it, but it just meant that Kick Ass's girlfriend had to act like a complete bitch when they went to great lengths to paint her as caring and loyal in movie 1.

But yeah... good movie. Switch your brain off and give it a watch!
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think they mention its only 2 years since the last film..?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »

Im sure they do, but it doesn't stack up anyway you look at it, they screwed up their maths somewhere as Mindy seems to have aged faster than Dave...which is impossible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Im sure they do, but it doesn't stack up anyway you look at it, they screwed up their maths somewhere as Mindy seems to have aged faster than Dave...which is impossible.

They definitely messed up the ages. In the first film Mindy is said to be 11 years old but in KA2 she's 15, which means at least 4 years have passed since the first film. Dave was 17 in the first film, so he should be 21 in KA2, but instead he's seemingly still in his Senior year of High School along with all his friends from the first film.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »

I think they mention that Mindy is 15 now and she was 11 in the first film .
    Forum Member
    They definitely messed up the ages. In the first film Mindy is said to be 11 years old but in KA2 she's 15, which means at least 4 years have passed since the first film. Dave was 17 in the first film, so he should be 21 in KA2, but instead he's seemingly still in his Senior year of High School along with all his friends from the first film.

Maybe he spent so long being a "superhero" that his education suffered and he's been held back (a lot)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    But apart from that - everything else, is believable.;)
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Kick Ass for the first time yesterday and watched Kick Ass 2 today. Kick Ass 2 is a very good sequel.
    For me what makes the franchise work, is the surrealism is mixed, seamlessly, with 'no gloves' realism.

If the state is about a monopoly on violence, this is film about sharing. :)
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    They definitely messed up the ages. In the first film Mindy is said to be 11 years old but in KA2 she's 15, which means at least 4 years have passed since the first film.
    I think they've messed with the ages due to the criticism about Hit-Girl being so young in Kick-Ass, and wanting to keep Dave and his friends at school.

I read on Wiki (:o) that Chloë Grace Moretz was only eleven at the time they started filming KA and Jane Goldman (one of the co-writer) appears to confirm that Mindy was meant to be eleven.

(I also discovered that Elizabeth McGovern from Downton Abbey played Dave's mum :eek: :o)

The only time I can remember Hit-Girl's age being mentioned in the KA was by Marty, he said Hit-Girl looked like she was eleven, when Todd said he was in love with her, after seeing her taking out the people holding KA and BD.

At the start of the film, a TV reporter said something about it being two years since the costumed super heroes first appeared, which would have chronologically sets KA2 two years after KA.

Dave said Mindy was fifteen in KA2, so in KA Mindy could have just turned thirteen but looked eleven.....the intensive training Hit-Girl had could have delayed the onset of puberty, like with some elite young female athletes, such as gymnasts....Mindy was also delivered pre-maturely.....there's some research that appear to suggest that a premature birth leads to a later onset of puberty in girls. :p
    Dave was 17 in the first film, so he should be 21 in KA2, but instead he's seemingly still in his Senior year of High School along with all his friends from the first film.
    Dave described himself as a senior in high school, in KA2, which would make him about eighteen....so he could have been about sixteen in KA.

I can't remember any direct references to Dave's age in KA....Chris did say at one point in KA that he was going to be eighteen in eight months (to his Dad) and there was an inference that Chris and Dave were about the same age....but Chris could have been a year or two older than Dave.

(I still think that a normal person would take at least six months to a year to recover from being stabbed, beaten up, run over and having metal pins put in....but Dave didn't appear to miss hardly any school in KA :rolleyes:....which would have explained why he would have still been at school aged nineteen....but that wouldn't explain why all his friends were also there.)
    I really liked Kick-Ass but, like a lot of people, didn't like KA2 as much.

I thought it wasn't as hard hitting, funny and it rambled a bit....I still liked it though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    I wondered that too. Was he 14 in the first one, because I never got that impression!? Maybe it was to try and justify the hints of romance between Hit Girl and Kick Ass. Problem is, the actor who plays Kick Ass is in his late 20s, and while Hit Girl has grown up a lot since movie 1, she still looks very young in this.

I thought this movie rocked in all honesty. It was funny, shocking, touching... everything that made the first movie so great. I don't think it quite reaches the heights of movie 1, but I still really enjoyed it. I guess my only gripe is that they kind of did away with the nice romantic sub-plot from the first movie. I see why they did it, but it just meant that Kick Ass's girlfriend had to act like a complete bitch when they went to great lengths to paint her as caring and loyal in movie 1.

But yeah... good movie. Switch your brain off and give it a watch!

He's 23...I know thats still way older than chloe moretz but yeah....
  • General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Theres a leaked high definition video of the film on YouTube. Not that I condone that sort of thing or course.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got around to seeing this and glad I did. I was put off seeing the original due to people around me rubbishing it and thought it was one of the best superhero movies I'd seen, once I finally decided to check it out. Sure, it was stupid and overly-violent, but it had a heart to it that so many "real" superhero films lack - and its that heart that makes a superhero, in my opinion.

Same thing with Kick Ass 2; I was put off by much of the negativity I read, but this time decided to give it a go, anyway. Yes, its not quite as good as the first - and I particularly dislike the casual dismissal of Katie as a character - but its still a fantastically entertaining film and it still has tons of that heart that made me love the first film.

Make no mistake, though, Chloe Moretz is the star of this show. That's no disrespect to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who I've always found likable as the lead character, but this is very much Hit Girl's movie and she definitely carries it.

It is a little disjointed, with a joint superhero/"Mean Girls" narrative and a strange tone where it is both more flippant AND more gritty than the first. The first film is definitely superior, in my opinion, but this is a fine sequel. I enjoyed it and it will be on my day-one Blu-Ray pre-order list.