When should article 50 be triggered?

2»

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with invoking article 50 is Cameron and his government had no exit plan and Cameron has done a Pontius Pilate on the issue. The Tories need to get on with replacing him with a new PM and the government agree on what it is they are going to propose.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Boris Johnson's answer would be never as he does not want to leave the EU!

All he wants is access to the single market for British businesses and citizens, but no immigration or membership fee. How hard can that be to sort out ;-)

I voted Remain, but now the decision is to Leave we must at least start negotiating our terms of departure as soon as possible - and the extended period of uncertainty is not in the national interest. However it would seem it would be difficult to engage with the other 27 countries until we have served our notice formally - how can we discuss our departure unless its official?

Reading Boris in the Telegraph it still seems to me as though he was banking on a narrow Remain and DC steeping down in say 12-18 months. In the event he's already back peddling and he's not even in number 10 yet.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    So the world of business have to wait and see if the uk is worth investing in. Not a good sign, not a good first sign to the outside business world, the business world wants and needs answers. to the outside world it must look like the uk is in political chaos at the moment

So be it.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    When we have a stable Government, with a refreshed mandate from the British people - and it should be triggered within a year of the election that creates that Government. I think the election should be called when the two main parties have sorted themselves out.

I am in no rush to leave, us leaving in a way that gets the best deal for Britain is more important than leaving quickly.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    When we have a stable Government, with a refreshed mandate from the British people - and it should be triggered within a year of the election that creates that Government. I think the election should be called when the two main parties have sorted themselves out.

I am in no rush to leave, us leaving in a way that gets the best deal for Britain is more important than leaving quickly.

Exactly. Rushing anything is a bad way of doing things. Rushing is a good way of making mistakes. Much better to take your time and make sure everything's as it should be.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultimately only a British Government can trigger Article 50, whatever the EU wants is irrelevant. See, we're taking back control already. :)
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely we will have to wait until Parliament discusses the petition for a second referendum.

This petition has got way more than the 100,000 necessary to be considered for a debate (3.5 million last time I looked)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215/