Options

Johnson seems to be going for "Norway" model

TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
Forum Member
If true some people will not be happy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36637037
Boris Johnson says the UK will continue to "intensify" co-operation with the EU following the country's vote to leave.

The leading pro-Leave campaigner said exit supporters must accept the 52-48 result was "not entirely overwhelming".
His column said: "I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be.

"There will still be intense and intensifying European co-operation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment.

"EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

"British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI - the BDI - has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.

"The only change - and it will not come in any great rush - is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU's extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal."

BIB - the only way I can see the other 27 agreeing to that is free movement of people.

Comments

• Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - the only way I can see the other 27 agreeing to that is free movement of people.

Indeed it is. He might get concession on paying benefits for a period but most likely it's freedom of movement take it or leave it.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect we will have an "Emergency Break" power if immigration reaches very high levels. (edit much higher than it is now)
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger_ArtfulDodger_ Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its free movement, but do they have the right to work, live, or claim benefits?
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is correct.

The problem is, getting it ratified in a referendum, many will be angry.

But I think the country is divided on the reasons for leaving, it may be enough of a compromise to get a majority. I wonder if they can negotiate a FMOP holiday to allow the current batch to be absorbed.

Those who voted remain deserve their part of the compromise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    I suspect we will have an "Emergency Break" power if immigration reaches very high levels. (edit much higher than it is now)

Why should EU give that to UK and not other countries? It really is pie in sky to think we can leave, still have access to single market and have preferential arrangements over freedom of movement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emergency breaks are already in the EEA agreement. It is nothing new and I believe has been utilised by both Lichtenstein and iceland in the recent past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it is entirely the same as freedom of movement in the EU apart from an Emergency Brake that can be applied if numbers are too high (much higher than currently).

Again... this was crystal clear to anyone who actually bothered to inform themselves of what the different outcomes following the referendum would mean.
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really? What's her name then?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically 'stop free movement of persons' that really helped to win the Brexit vote as people did not want the whole Turkey turning up in UK will be ignored. Why TF leave the EU then?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »

Yes. I thought Stephen Kinnock had already acquired the Norwegian model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to leave the EU - so that the EU could concentrate on the single currency that is causing so much damage to the southern states.

Our half in but vetoing approach really wasnt helpful to the european superstate - this allows progression by both parties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    So basically 'stop free movement of persons' that really helped to win the Brexit vote as people did not want the whole Turkey turning up in UK will be ignored. Why TF leave the EU then?

Indeed. Civil unrest is on its way as low knowledge voters were 'used' to get this result and BoJo the PM job.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Yes. I thought Stephen Kinnock had already acquired the Norwegian model.

Close, but she's actually Danish!
  • Options
    DaveBeansDaveBeans Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see it as removing ourselves from the EU's political union...

EU vs EEA & EFTA

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QgTb5KX-K8U/V1gZSyt8lmI/AAAAAAAAB90/QWfTSG10OtE_jl6FzCov50VTP1Z1D_gFQCLcB/s1600/EFTA%2BEEA%2BScorecard.jpg
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the agreement with the EU. It's possible that access to the Single Market will stay exactly as it is now. However, if the EU are willing a bit of give and take, they might allow us to implement legislation preventing money paid going overseas or not paying benefit payments to immigrants for a certain number of years.

This is why Brexiters have to be involved, and preferably head, the negotiations. If Remainers do it and get a deal including free movement of people all hell will break loose.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »

Anything that makes me chuckle at present deserves a McCartneyesque thumbs up. :D
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Indeed. Civil unrest is on its way as low knowledge voters were 'used' to get this result and BoJo the PM job.

I'm sure this is a likely next step.

An awful lot of people out there - rightly or wrongly - want a significant reduction in the numbers of people arriving here. If this is not addressed after everything we've been through during the last few months then civil unrest will soon follow. There's only so much people will take from their masters before they reach for the pitchforks. That is the sad reality.

No doubt they'll all be accused of racism.
  • Options
    DaveBeansDaveBeans Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

An awful lot of people out there - rightly or wrongly - want a significant reduction in the numbers of people arriving here. If this is not addressed after everything we've been through during the last few months then civil unrest will soon follow. There's only so much people will take from their masters before they reach for the pitchforks. That is the sad reality.

For me promising the Australian Points System was dangerous...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol there are a lot of people who have been trying to explain this for months (including me) - but hey ho, no one wanted to listen and on day 4 after the referendum we're already being told that freedom of movement is here to stay... not far of from saying we will simply sign up to the EEA (in fact, BoJo has already implied as much this morning by saying we will keep access to the single market).

So yes - why TF vote leave in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm just sad that they were lied to just exacerbating the already massive distrust in politicians. Farage will jump on the unrest and say Tories are not giving them what they want. This is an incendiary situation. Sadly as less money comes into UK coffers the most directly impacted are poor.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HR Guru wrote: »
    Lol there are a lot of people who have been trying to explain this for months (including me) - but hey ho, no one wanted to listen and on day 4 after the referendum we're already being told that freedom of movement is here to stay... not far of from saying we will simply sign up to the EEA (in fact, BoJo has already implied as much this morning by saying we will keep access to the single market).

So yes - why TF vote leave in the first place.

A lot of Remainers said freedom of movement wouldn't necessarily end and leaving the EU wasn't the answer to our immigration problems. The key question is what's the next step? Once an agreement is in place take it back to the people in another referendum so people know exactly what they're voting for?
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    I'm just sad that they were lied to just exacerbating the already massive distrust in politicians. Farage will jump on the unrest and say Tories are not giving them what they want. This is an incendiary situation. Sadly as less money comes into UK coffers the most directly impacted are poor.

I can see a big war coming between Bojo and Farage over this. Bojo knows that we will have to accept freedom of movement to get any sort of workable deal with the EU - but Farage will never accept this.

The Brexiters will have a civil war. The markets will continue to feed of the instability caused by this and plummet further.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger_ArtfulDodger_ Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it remains to be seen what will happen. Its clear such a policy would be beneficial to the UK, we are better off out.

Remember May is to take a very hard stance on immigration. People may elect her instead. What deal will she want.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member

Yes.

We were told this many, many times but it was all just 'scare mongering' and project fear.

If people are now claiming to be unaware of this it certainly looks like they weren't really paying attention.
  • Options
    Irritable OwlIrritable Owl Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    Don't see how it can be anything other than an Australian points based system seeing as that was the phrase used by every Brexit campaigner.

Implementation of an APBS will still permit movement for some EU citizens but we can choose which ones. If we need immigrants then we can cherry pick from EU/non-Eu unlike now when EU migrants get priority.

Immigrant numbers will rise or fall depending on how many we need hence the inability to predict the total incoming immigrant people after Brexit.

This might be dressed up as "Freedom of Movement of Labour" with the UK having control over how many might be allowed in. But, Freedom of Movement for ANYONE is not a stance that any Leave negotiator should accept.