Do the graphics look any better?

13»

Comments

• WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current PC is better than the ps4 ( which I am going out to buy in a few minutes), yet I can't be arsed putting it on the TV etc.

I'd rather have both.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I'm not a PC gamer, but tomorrow i'm getting a PS4, what i like to see is one of the people saying you can get a Gaming PC for the same price as a PS4 and it will be better

Please show me this magical PC that will running all games for the next 10 years perfectly with no upgrades

The PS4 is £35 a year for a decade, no gaming PC could ever be maintained to a good standard for a decade for £35 a year

Don't forget to add the £40 per year for your 'must have' subscription or you won't be gaming online. Yeah the console costs less than a decent PC but in the long run, your console will end up costing you far more. Sony have priced their 'first party' games at between £54.99 and £59.99 :eek: Here's a prime example for the cost of console gaming. Lego Marvel for PS4 from Amazon = £49.99, I got the same game for PC from the same place for £17.99. All those savings is where we get the £ to spend on upgrades, if and when needed :D. Here's another example, BF4 on PS4 £47.00, I got mine for PC for £29.99. There are hundreds more examples like this and that doesn't include the massive sales that 'Steam' have.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you should check steam today, Sleeping Dogs for £4 and hundreds more and new releases to, there is no argument.

Although the topic has gone wayward like expected :)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Sleeping Dogs included as part of my 'must have' subscription.

Also I very rarely pay more than £5 - £15 for a game on PS3, I suspect this will continue once next gen prices settle down and when I jump in. I doubt the extreme example ixHellstormx notes will continue for the entire generation as suggested.

Consoles are cheaper and more hassle free over the course of a generation. But at the end of the day its all personal preference and each really suit different types of gamers. If PC gaming still suited me I would be happy to spend more to get one over a console but I have been there, done that and found I get a lot more enjoyment out of a console.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to add the £40 per year for your 'must have' subscription or you won't be gaming online. Yeah the console costs less than a decent PC but in the long run, your console will end up costing you far more. Sony have priced their 'first party' games at between £54.99 and £59.99 :eek: Here's a prime example for the cost of console gaming. Lego Marvel for PS4 from Amazon = £49.99, I got the same game for PC from the same place for £17.99. All those savings is where we get the £ to spend on upgrades, if and when needed :D. Here's another example, BF4 on PS4 £47.00, I got mine for PC for £29.99. There are hundreds more examples like this and that doesn't include the massive sales that 'Steam' have.

Yeah PC gaming is cheaper in the long run. Once you've got a fairly decent system you can play most next gen games at decent settings. BF4 runs at ultra on my PC and high on my laptop. My laptop version of BF4 is actually equivalent to the PS4 version!! Looks good and is really smooth.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that holds consoles back is the price of games and how rapidly they fall on the PC. How is it that BF4 (I think, looked at so many recently) is £30 or so on PC yet £50+ on consoles. They keep telling us the PS4 is basically a PC in a small form and transferring from PC to the next gen is easier than every before, well prove it, drop the prices. Yes I know MS and Sony get a cut of every game produced for their machine, but £20 plus £'s is getting beyond. And how come console games never seem to fall in price in line with how quickly PC games drop.

Console games subsidise the low cost of the hardware.

That is not the case for the PC.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ okay it may do to some extent, I've seen an article that reckons Sony are making $18 per PS4.
    But with a shelf life of anywhere between 6 and 8 years why don't games then come down? I think games are good value for the money, the ones where you get 30+ hours out of them that works out at £1-£1.50 an hour, not much these days costs as little as that. But still 50% mark up above pc games is a little extreme. They could be say £5 above PC games and no one would care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ okay it may do to some extent, I've seen an article that reckons Sony are making $18 per PS4.
    But with a shelf life of anywhere between 6 and 8 years why don't games then come down? I think games are good value for the money, the ones where you get 30+ hours out of them that works out at £1-£1.50 an hour, not much these days costs as little as that. But still 50% mark up above pc games is a little extreme. They could be say £5 above PC games and no one would care.

Over time they will come down to the current levels you see for Xbox 360 and PS3 games.

They are just massively expensive at launch but this does change :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I got Sleeping Dogs included as part of my 'must have' subscription.

Also I very rarely pay more than £5 - £15 for a game on PS3, I suspect this will continue once next gen prices settle down and when I jump in. I doubt the extreme example ixHellstormx notes will continue for the entire generation as suggested.

Consoles are cheaper and more hassle free over the course of a generation. But at the end of the day its all personal preference and each really suit different types of gamers. If PC gaming still suited me I would be happy to spend more to get one over a console but I have been there, done that and found I get a lot more enjoyment out of a console.

Sony, MS and the other developers won't drop the prices for next gen games as long as they can get away with charging the prices they do. Look at the price of some digital copies of console games, some up to £60 :eek: there's no box, no disc and no paper being used so those prices cannot be justified yet the same game on PC can cost half that much, whether it be on disc or digital. You mentioned before that you refuse to pay the full price for new games but millions of others do pay the asking price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Console games subsidise the low cost of the hardware.

That is not the case for the PC.

Is that still the case with the Xbox One being priced at £429 ?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Change "low" to "high" methinks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony, MS and the other developers won't drop the prices for next gen games as long as they can get away with charging the prices they do.

I highly doubt new games will be £60 for the entire generation. Once the initial launch period is over game prices will settle down like they do every new hardware cycle.

At least I hope that is the case :p

It wouldn't surprise me if games prices were down to £50 - £55 after Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt new games will be £60 for the entire generation. Once the initial launch period is over game prices will settle down like they do every new hardware cycle.

At least I hope that is the case :p

It wouldn't surprise me if games prices were down to £50 - £55 after Christmas.

still over priced though HB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Change "low" to "high" methinks

Hi mate. where have you been hiding. not seen you on Steam for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    still over priced though HB.

Are you saying you don't think we will reach a point where we can pick up console games for £5 - £20 next generation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying you don't think we will reach a point where we can pick up console games for £5 - £20 next generation?

oh you will at some point, bargain basement or on some classics label but the high prices will remain for quite a while imo. I read an article about Sony wanting to push digital downloads for their next gen console but they then said 'the price of these has to be higher than in the shops' because we don't want to undercut shop prices. They will have to undercut them at some point or digital game sales for their console will fail.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a launch price so is artificially high. for the majority of its life it will sell much cheaper.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    jokerz wrote: »
    Over time they will come down to the current levels you see for Xbox 360 and PS3 games.

They are just massively expensive at launch but this does change :)

They will still not get anywhere near the cheapness of PC games though, I very rarely pay more than £20ish for any game, including AAA new releases. I am regularly saving £30+ per game on what a console version would cost me, for normally an improved experience as well.

...and that's without even mentioning steam sales, humble bundles, etc etc....
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read on PSU last night that this gen of consoles are expected to last 5-6 years not the 8+ years of last gen.
    Microsoft say they expect the XBox One to last 10 years. Some industry people say they want the new consoles earlier, but they also wanted that this time around and didn't get it. The philosophy of consoles is to be as stable for as long as possible. I doubt they'll give up after 5-6 years unless something external forces them to.

Like if 4K TVs take off (which I doubt), or if 3D headsets take off and the consoles truly aren't powerful enough for them. I don't think simple competition from PCs will be enough; it hasn't been before.
    Sony themselves said they made a small loss (and a small profit if the user bought a game). Those break-down costs seem to ignore a lot of costs; eg, transport, retailers mark-up.