Options

Username Silliness (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    twassingtontwassington Posts: 163,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    I thought i was never going to get out. I secreted a spoon and dug a tunnel the other guests helped.

luckily i left my heating on on 16 degrees like i did at christmas and it has warmed up really quickly. In the past when i haven't done that the house got so cold the freezer turned itself off and all the food melted :( I'd just filled it up incase i got snowed in so i didn't want that to happen!!! :o

I didn't know freezers could do that!!! I've never left the heating on overnight ever. Not sure if I ought to in case the pipes freeze.... would that happen in the few hours the house will lose the heat of the woodburner? Probably from about 2am to 7am.

It must have been like Colditz!!!
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I didn't know freezers could do that!!! I've never left the heating on overnight ever. Not sure if I ought to in case the pipes freeze.... would that happen in the few hours the house will lose the heat of the woodburner? Probably from about 2am to 7am.

It must have been like Colditz!!!

It's happened to me twice. Not sure if they are all the same. But my fridge/freezer if the ambient temperature falls below 6degrees it shuts off automatically. Last time it did it i had emptied the freezer cos i knew i was going away. The time before i just ended up with a freezer full of mouldy food :( Even chins wouldn't have eaten it :o

Colditz was a luxury Spa in comparison!!! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's happened to me twice. Not sure if they are all the same. But my fridge/freezer if the ambient temperature falls below 6degrees it shuts off automatically. Last time it did it i had emptied the freezer cos i knew i was going away. The time before i just ended up with a freezer full of mouldy food :( Even chins wouldn't have eaten it :o

Colditz was a luxury Spa in comparison!!! :o

It must be below 6 degrees in my kitchen I feel sure. My breath steams in the larder which leads off the kitchen....although it is colder in there. It would be no use putting on the heating as there isn't a radiator near the kitchen in any case....but I do have the boiler in there and it goes off periodically for the hot water so hopefully that just keeps things a half decent temp!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It must be below 6 degrees in my kitchen I feel sure. My breath steams in the larder which leads off the kitchen....although it is colder in there. It would be no use putting on the heating as there isn't a radiator near the kitchen in any case....but I do have the boiler in there and it goes off periodically for the hot water so hopefully that just keeps things a half decent temp!

It should say in the manual for the fridge or freezer. I thought mine had died completely when it happened but i checked the manual and found out about this automatic cut off thingy. Just unplugged it gave a it a good clean and plugged it in and it was fine! thank goodness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should say in the manual for the fridge or freezer. I thought mine had died completely when it happened but i checked the manual and found out about this automatic cut off thingy. Just unplugged it gave a it a good clean and plugged it in and it was fine! thank goodness.

I need to look for the manual!!! I could leave the oven on low all night, I've done that by accident before now and the kitchen was lovely and toasty!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I need to look for the manual!!! I could leave the oven on low all night, I've done that by accident before now and the kitchen was lovely and toasty!!!

When i grew up we didn't have central heating we just had the fire in the sitting room and a raeburn in the kitchen i think the raeburn kept everything from breaking down....unless it was so long ago they didn't have automatic cut offs then :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i grew up we didn't have central heating we just had the fire in the sitting room and a raeburn in the kitchen i think the raeburn kept everything from breaking down....unless it was so long ago they didn't have automatic cut offs then :blush:

We had no central heating until I was 11, just a fire in the front room and an electric immersion heater for hot water. Yet to my knowledge the pipes never froze and we had some really cold winters with snow on the ground for weeks on end. So by that token maybe the cottage is OK to leave overnight in those temps. I will put the heating on first thing, it's never been on as much as the past couple of days. Was on all day today til I lit the fire!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We had no central heating until I was 11, just a fire in the front room and an electric immersion heater for hot water. Yet to my knowledge the pipes never froze and we had some really cold winters with snow on the ground for weeks on end. So by that token maybe the cottage is OK to leave overnight in those temps. I will put the heating on first thing, it's never been on as much as the past couple of days. Was on all day today til I lit the fire!

Fingers crossed if it hasn't happened it won't happen. Has it been very cold previous winters you've been there? It's not as bad as it was last week here. It's cold but that night it dropped to -10 was something else !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed if it hasn't happened it won't happen. Has it been very cold previous winters you've been there? It's not as bad as it was last week here. It's cold but that night it dropped to -10 was something else !!!!

It's never been this cold in the four years I've lived here.

What's the lowest temp you've ever known it be up there near the Wall?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well you know on the Book of Faces how it does those On This Day reminders of things you have posted in the past? I have seen I posted about it being -15, not sure what it would have been with wind chill added though. It was 2010 I had had my hartmann's and was still recovering and i went outside and sank up to my thighs in the snow :o

It's only recently that i look at the weather station info though!! :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you know on the Book of Faces how it does those On This Day reminders of things you have posted in the past? I have seen I posted about it being -15, not sure what it would have been with wind chill added though. It was 2010 I had had my hartmann's and was still recovering and i went outside and sank up to my thighs in the snow :o

It's only recently that i look at the weather station info though!! :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

Blimey I am amazed you had the strength to struggle your way back out of the snowdrift :eek: I imagine it would have been minus 20 with the windchill.

I remember in 2010 I was in the flat I lived in after leaving ex Mr Twass, a gas main cracked and none of the houses or flats in my street had any heating, there was about six inches of snow and arctic temps and they came round handing out plug in electric heaters!! The Gas board this is. We all got compensation later but oh dear me, it was cold. It happened on Christmas Day! :eek: Luckily the oven was electric :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blimey I am amazed you had the strength to struggle your way back out of the snowdrift :eek: I imagine it would have been minus 20 with the windchill.

I remember in 2010 I was in the flat I lived in after leaving ex Mr Twass, a gas main cracked and none of the houses or flats in my street had any heating, there was about six inches of snow and arctic temps and they came round handing out plug in electric heaters!! The Gas board this is. We all got compensation later but oh dear me, it was cold. It happened on Christmas Day! :eek: Luckily the oven was electric :D

I was just stuck there laughing!!! i had to get assistance to get out! :blush:

Oh blimey! Christmas Day without Turkey???? the horror the horror!!!
    We had about 4 days of no electric this time last year which of course meant the heating wouldn't work. No compensation though booooooooooo it was after a big storm and the whole area was buggered. Luckily cos we get powere cuts anyway i have a wee camping stove so i could make tea and soup and beans and stuff!!! scrambled egg!...oh god the mention of food has awoken DOris :o
    better make some dinner!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just stuck there laughing!!! i had to get assistance to get out! :blush:

Oh blimey! Christmas Day without Turkey???? the horror the horror!!!
    We had about 4 days of no electric this time last year which of course meant the heating wouldn't work. No compensation though booooooooooo it was after a big storm and the whole area was buggered. Luckily cos we get powere cuts anyway i have a wee camping stove so i could make tea and soup and beans and stuff!!! scrambled egg!...oh god the mention of food has awoken DOris :o
    better make some dinner!!

Yes indeed it's dinner time. Beryl is growling now but I'm not feeding her til tomorrow. Well probably not. Maybe I'll have an orange :D
  • Options
    tk096tk096 Posts: 5,829
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D Good thinking.

awh thanks I have to say I didn't think much of the Spa i went too, no sleep terrible food the conditions were awful they won't be getting a good review on tripadvisor :D

That spa you went to sounds shocking!
  • Options
    Forum Member

For mid January it's very mild, frosty in the morning but sunny. The very cold snap a couple of years ago it got to -17° and killed all the grisilena hedges in the county :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tk096 wrote: »
    For mid January it's very mild, frosty in the morning but sunny. The very cold snap a couple of years ago it got to -17° and killed all the grisilena hedges in the county :(

OH MY DAYS that's cold :eek::eek: I'm not surprised it killed things!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OH MY DAYS that's cold :eek::eek: I'm not surprised it killed things!!

Never known anything like it, and it was unusual because we're only about ten miles from the sea. Mind you, for nearly a week there were no road deaths in the country as anyone who braved the roads were crawling along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never known anything like it, and it was unusual because we're only about ten miles from the sea. Mind you, for nearly a week there were no road deaths in the country as anyone who braved the roads were crawling along.

We've had one accident already at the top of the lane, someone ended up head first in the field! They all drive too fast round here and there's a fair bit of black ice :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That spa you went to sounds shocking!

no crumpets no ham no limes it was a nightmare :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We've had one accident already at the top of the lane, someone ended up head first in the field! They all drive too fast round here and there's a fair bit of black ice :eek:

There's always someone who overtakes all the people driving sensibly races off then you catch up and find them in the ditch. :(

We are lucky round here (I assume the same where tk is) in that because they are used to ice and snow they grit the roads regularly, i don't remember gritting when i lived down south unless it was after the event which sort of defeats the purpose! What's it like round yours? (i know you will have tractors to clear snow ;-) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's always someone who overtakes all the people driving sensibly races off then you catch up and find them in the ditch. :(

We are lucky round here (I assume the same where tk is) in that because they are used to ice and snow they grit the roads regularly, i don't remember gritting when i lived down south unless it was after the event which sort of defeats the purpose! What's it like round yours? (i know you will have tractors to clear snow ;-) )

I live in the back of beyond, no gritters do these narrow lanes :eek: I've been driving very carefully indeed and mostly leaving it til midday for the maximum thaw. Which hasn't been much!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I live in the back of beyond, no gritters do these narrow lanes :eek: I've been driving very carefully indeed and mostly leaving it til midday for the maximum thaw. Which hasn't been much!

Very sensible Twass. I'm really lucky they grit all the B roads round here. There are obviously roads that don't get done but I can pretty much get to shops doctors hospitals and my mums on B road routes it makes a massive difference. Driving on ice is well scary :(

I was saying before about facebook reminders, there was one the other day where my car had frozen up and i could only open the boot and had to climb in via there!!! then the car wouldn't start and i couldn't get out :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sensible Twass. I'm really lucky they grit all the B roads round here. There are obviously roads that don't get done but I can pretty much get to shops doctors hospitals and my mums on B road routes it makes a massive difference. Driving on ice is well scary :(

I was saying before about facebook reminders, there was one the other day where my car had frozen up and i could only open the boot and had to climb in via there!!! then the car wouldn't start and i couldn't get out :D

My son had to get in via the back passenger door on Friday due to the front ones being iced solid! One of his work mates couldn't get in to work at all as his brakes had frozen! My little Toyota Aygo has only once coughed a bit before starting so I'm doing well so far :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My son had to get in via the back passenger door on Friday due to the front ones being iced solid! One of his work mates couldn't get in to work at all as his brakes had frozen! My little Toyota Aygo has only once coughed a bit before starting so I'm doing well so far :)

Ho are you doing today did you manage to defrost at all before night (and temperatures) fell?

It's taken me ages to do all the things i hate doing today :blush:
    I do feel virtuous though having angelically smiled my way through meditation, porridge, apples and an endless shuffle up to spar to get milk!! :D

Random Rant of the Day
    A pint of milk used to last me a week with this porridge malarkey i'm getting through a litre every couple of days :o

I wonder if tk has decided to live fulltime in Birthday PamperWorld? :D Maybe we should join her?
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For mid January it's very mild, frosty in the morning but sunny. The very cold snap a couple of years ago it got to -17° and killed my aunt Griselda! :(

:eek:

Poor, poor Griselda! :(
This discussion has been closed.