Samsung LE40R74BDX LCD Vs Hitachi 42PD7200 Plasma

Hi everyone.

I am looking at buying one of the above sets.

Could you please give me your opinions.

I really dont know which one to choose

Many thanks

Haydn

Comments

• russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're trying to compare two very different machines. If I were you I'd first decide on whether plasma or LCD was best for you, then choose your screen. Try and see one in action, to see if its right for you.

Good place to start would be http://www.plasma-vs-lcd.com/

FWIW the Samsung's a cracking set IMO, very stylish, good connectivity and I find the picture quite pleasing on SD (not seen one on HD). Don't know the Hitachi, I'm afraid. Another place worth looking for user opinions in sets would be avforums.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your advice. My brother has the hitachi and it looks great. I currently have a 32inch Samsung LE32R3 but want something a lot bigger. Exspensive mistake i know lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I had an Hitachi 42PD5200H and to be honest when I knew very little about Plasma, I thought it was great but then I realised it really wasn't, it suffered terribly with gradation problems and patches of green dots in black areas really ruined the picture.

Just got myself a Pioneer PDP-436XDE and it's far superior, an excellent set indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I have the Hitachi 7200 and it's fantastic. The PQ is amazing and I haven't noticed any problems like Andy, however I've read that the 5200 was riddled with faults.

Got it from empiredirect with a free 4 year extended warranty ( I think that offer runs out very soon )

Very very pleased with it. Just waiting for skyHD in 3 weeks.

Try the 7200 owners thread on avforums for more info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I narrowed down my choice of 40" LCD to the new Sony V2000 or the Samsung R74. They both use the same panel (made in Korea I believe by a company that's half owned each by Sony and Samsung). I eventually went for the Sony although it's about £600 more. The reason was that the Samsungs I looked at it in JL and HiSpek seemed to have a greenish cast which spoilt the picture sometimes, and I've read similar comments on other sites. It doesn't always show up and I guess it may be dependent on the input type as well as the subject matter. The problem is that the Samsung doesn't have all the adjustability of the Sony and there would be no way of remedying this colour problem, which worried me. So I forked out the extra £600 for the better user interface and electronics of the Sony. The Sony has an adjustable backlight also which I think is pretty important.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your advise guys.

I went with the Hitachi 7500 in the end as it has an added 3 year guarentee and i think the pciture rocks.

Should get it next week in time for Sky HD Install

Regards

Haydn