Options

Can Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke Salvage their music careers?

Comments

• Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Pop music is about good songs. And to succeed you need as many of them as you can get or, preferably, write. The vast majority of artists are not superstars and the X Factor sets its aspirations too high.

There are some here suggesting that Leona and Alexandra should leave Syco, make their own albums and play smaller gigs and rebuild an audience. There are lots of artists who have done that all along, why not go and listen to some of them? Instead of worrying whether those who wanted the quick route to stardom and it hasn't quite worked out the way they thought it would.
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Also what makes you think we don't listen to new and upcoming singers? Just because you like a couple singers who happened to come through X Factor doesn't mean we don't discover music any other way. :rolleyes:

I thought that was a fair point (the bit in bold) that you were responding to but rolling eyes at it. Maybe you do listen to other, less established singers but after a quick glance you seem to post mostly on a Leona Lewis appreciation thread and an Alexandra Burke appreciation thread so I didn't see any evidence of such support.

I don't see why all the fuss is made of certain artists careers flagging, other than that the people making the fuss are blissfully unaware of all the other great artists out there working in similar genres, who they've never heard of because they are not on Radio 1, X-Factor, MTV (etc.) all the flipping time!

People who have never sold singles or albums in anything like the numbers that Leona or Alexandra have, yet whose output is far better.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    scrilla wrote: »
    I thought that was a fair point (the bit in bold) that you were responding to but rolling eyes at it. Maybe you do listen to other, less established singers but after a quick glance you seem to post mostly on a Leona Lewis appreciation thread and an Alexandra Burke appreciation thread so I didn't see any evidence of such support.

I don't see why all the fuss is made of certain artists careers flagging, other than that the people making the fuss are blissfully unaware of all the other great artists out there working in similar genres, who they've never heard of because they are not on Radio 1, X-Factor, MTV (etc.) all the flipping time!

People who have never sold singles or albums in anything like the numbers that Leona or Alexandra have, yet whose output is far better.

I post a lot in them, as I like talking about their careers, mostly because they felt far more accessible than Rihanna or Beyonce. You can say the same in terms of sales v quality for over half the industry though. Well said about genres too!
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »

I post in the Leona and Alex threads because I am big fans of them and they have dedicated threads to them, with plenty other people posting about them too, so there is always conversation.

Yeah I suppose I tend to stick to the same threads about certain singers, doesn't mean I don't listen to new and less well known singers. I am a fans of Jernade Miah, Bebe Black(who I am pretty sure I discovered from some thread on this forum) and Gin Wigmore, none of whom I would say are that well known in the UK.

And seeing as you so badly need evidence, this thread was posted a couple years ago about new and exciting artists, and look I was first to post in it. :eek:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1498090&highlight=jernade+miah
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Not without reinventing themselves.
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH Alexandra has more of a chance than Leona. Nowadays big singers like Mariah aren't selling as much back as they did back the early years. Today's music is very quick and you need to catch peoples attention. Leona has a really bad personality - she is an absolute bore and her stint on that international version of the X Factor made her come across as if she was better than everyone. She is practically burying her career releasing a Christmas album. Were as Alexandra can revert back to her old style that she used during the Overcome era and have a fresh start in the US.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they can, both of them. All they need is good material that fit in with the current sound. If they have that, radio will play them, if radio play them and the song is good enough they'll have a hit. Then they just need to follow that up with more radio friendly singles. Nobody cares how Leona or Alexandra come across, if they release a decent song people will buy it regardless because it's catchy. I doubt many people would say "oh I like that Leona song but I won't buy it because she's boring". And if they start consistently releasing good music then their albums will sell too.
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both have vocal talent (particularly Alex) but it's not enough. Those soul divas are really ten a penny. Neither have much of the elusive XFactor (for want of a better word :rolleyes:)
    I wouldn't go out of my way to see either of them perform-they just don't excite me as artists.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just popping in. I'm surprised to find that Alexandra Burke has had the more interesting career. I thought Leona lewis would be a major diva by now. There IS still time.

Alexandra seems to have had the consistent career, garnering song-writers and production staff to make her credible in the UK, at least, years later.

Personally I think Leona is better at singing, but Alexandra is the better singer. I said that from the long time ago.

I wish them both all the luck in the world. I really like Alexandra Burke's new material. I really hope we'll see more from Leona soon.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I think Leona is better at singing, but Alexandra is the better singer. I said that from the long time ago.

Umm, what? :confused:

Do you mean Leona is a better singer but Alexandra is a better popstar? Cos in that case, I agree.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just popping in. I'm surprised to find that Alexandra Burke has had the more interesting career. I thought Leona lewis would be a major diva by now. There IS still time.

Alexandra seems to have had the consistent career, garnering song-writers and production staff to make her credible in the UK, at least, years later.

I wish them both all the luck in the world. I really like Alexandra Burke's new material. I really hope we'll see more from Leona soon.

Alexandra Burke is undergoing a rebirth as an artist at the moment. Her new EP is slightly progressive in my view, but she has as clean slate and is signed to a very big management company in America. She has a lot of space to come into her own as an artist now, but it will be a long transformation coming from a career born from the Syco machine.

Leona is a bit more tricky, I think she is where Alex would have been had she stayed at Syco. I have hope for Leona's upcoming Christmas album, but it's clear she needs to make major changes regarding her career.

I think they are vocally the best contestants the show will probably ever find, so I hope they rejuvenate their careers. Alex already getting there. I think they can both really have staying power in the industry if they play their cards right.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that Leona has the right material, but releases the wrong singles. So, it's not a case of her career being salvaged, but a case of good management.

However, Alexandra Burke is well past it. She comes across cocky and annoying. Ever since her appearance on X Factor she lost all credibility. I don't think there is any coming back for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You think Alexandra is credible? I think the public - as much as I disagree with this - have thrown all her 'credebility' away when she was on X Factor. There still seems to be at least SOME buzz for Leona Lewis. She will always have the fact that SHE is the X Factor. Alexandra is just "That girl that won after Leona Lewis" and has been since 2008. Leona's 3rd album sold a lot better than Alex's 2nd.

I had high hopes for this EP of hers, but in all honesty. It's...crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think Alexandra is credible? I think the public - as much as I disagree with this - have thrown all her 'credebility' away when she was on X Factor. There still seems to be at least SOME buzz for Leona Lewis. She will always have the fact that SHE is the X Factor. Alexandra is just "That girl that won after Leona Lewis" and has been since 2008. Leona's 3rd album sold a lot better than Alex's 2nd.

No, she's the first British girl to sell a million copies of a single in the UK. I'm a Leona fan but let's not pretend here, her 3rd album didn't do well, and Alex's 2nd single didn't miss the top 200 like Leona's did.

I'm sure I remember you writing Alex off after her 2nd album, yet here we are and she's still releasing new music under brand new (and high profile) management.

Writing her off is a mistake people often make with Alex. :)
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

What buzz? They're both in the same boat pretty much. Leona's 3rd album had X Factor promotion, which without would be exactly the same as Alex's 2nd. Trouble was in the top 30 of itunes without X Factor, I was actually scared for her. Alex's EP could be a lot better, but it was recorded when she had no record deal. It's not surprising. Credibility is built on experience, talent and music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that Leona has the right material, but releases the wrong singles. So, it's not a case of her career being salvaged, but a case of good management.

It's a shame, she had a few songs on her last album that could have been hits worldwide, but she and the label picked the worst songs as singles.

How they could choose to ignore these songs, I will never understand.

Glassheart
    Come Alive

And I am not one of those fans who thinks its all the labels fault, Leona lost out on We Found Love because she wanted Trouble as the lead and Calvin didn't want to wait, she also lost out on Burn. which has now spent two weeks I think at number 1 for Ellie Goulding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    What buzz? They're both in the same boat pretty much. Leona's 3rd album had X Factor promotion, which without would be exactly the same as Alex's 2nd. Trouble was in the top 30 of itunes without X Factor, I was actually scared for her. Alex's EP could be a lot better, but it was recorded when she had no record deal. It's not surprising. Credibility is built on experience, talent and music.

I would say Leona is still in the stronger position though, she was still able to do 20 tours dates last year, even if her album underperformed big time.

Alex is on the right track though, she realised she couldn't stick at RCA and release another HOH type album and left and managed to bag herself brilliant American management, hopefully she will be able to secure a decent label too though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    No, she's the first British girl to sell a million copies of a single in the UK. I'm a Leona fan but let's not pretend here, her 3rd album didn't do well, and Alex's 2nd single didn't miss the top 200 like Leona's did.

I'm sure I remember you writing Alex off after her 2nd album, yet here we are and she's still releasing new music under brand new (and high profile) management.

Yet she's been irrelevant for years now and that EP of covers sounds awful (most agree) you sound incredibly bias talking about Alex so it doesn't sound like you can come up with a reasoned response, but until there is a glimmer that she is re surging then it's best to assume she's going further into nonexistence.

Please don't spout the US line either, dozens do that and get nowhere.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    TBH Alexandra has more of a chance than Leona. Nowadays big singers like Mariah aren't selling as much back as they did back the early years. Today's music is very quick and you need to catch peoples attention. Leona has a really bad personality - she is an absolute bore and her stint on that international version of the X Factor made her come across as if she was better than everyone. She is practically burying her career releasing a Christmas album. Were as Alexandra can revert back to her old style that she used during the Overcome era and have a fresh start in the US.

That's a bit harsh! She seems quiet and not a wacky 'look at me' type but has always seemed nice to me and not nasty at all.

I think I posted in another thread on here that Leona (imo) wants to be a singer but isn't bothered about being famous. She seems to do the minimum amount of publicity for her songs/albums and doesn't come across as desperate or wanting to stay in the limelight. If this all ended for her tomorrow, I honestly think she wouldn't be that fussed, and would certainly find it easier to take than others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aj_Whiles wrote: »
    Yet she's been irrelevant for years now and that EP of covers sounds awful (most agree) you sound incredibly bias talking about Alex so it doesn't sound like you can come up with a reasoned response, but until there is a glimmer that she is re surging then it's best to assume she's going further into nonexistence.

Please don't spout the US line either, dozens do that and get nowhere.

I think you sound like the biased one here. I fail to see how she's been "irrelevant for years now", when she scored a top 3 single with minimal airplay just last year and recently sold out a tour a few months ago.

And it's embarrassing for you to call it "an EP of covers" when there's only one cover on it. Next time at least try to get the facts right. :o
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its weird but I think the X Factor guest stint ruined Alex. I genuine have no idea what happened as I also believe Alex had more potential than Leona did..

As for Leona herself she is done. Its possible she might get another hit but she will never be mainstream again no matter how hard her fans want to believe she will be. Syco ****ed her over. Its too small a label to handle major talents as they have to focus on one act at a time. Leona was sidelined at a crucial point in her career when she shouldn't have been. That's the simple truth of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Writing her off is not a mistake. This EP was made out to be this huge come back and half the forum were peeing themselves with excitement saying how good it would be and now it's "It was recorded when she had no label" :rolleyes:

Again, Alexandra has nothing going for her right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you sound like the biased one here. I fail to see how she's been "irrelevant for years now", when she scored a top 3 single with minimal airplay just last year and recently sold out a tour a few months ago.

And it's embarrassing for you to call it "an EP of covers" when there's only one cover on it. Next time at least try to get the facts right. :o

With all due respect Zack, when Alexandra is discussed you come across biased all the time.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Writing her off is not a mistake. This EP was made out to be this huge come back and half the forum were peeing themselves with excitement saying how good it would be and now it's "It was recorded when she had no label" :rolleyes:

Again, Alexandra has nothing going for her right now.

Neither has Misha B or Amelia Lily but they're still trying. It is far from over for Alexandra. The whole point of the EP was to remind people of the voice, and it's nice to see that with Album 3 she'll be taking it up a notch vocally...:)
  • Options
    ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Misha has less going for her... she hasn't even got a fanbase hardly lol
    She's fat aswell... Say that doesn't matter but it does lol She ain't going nowhere with that image.
    So WhyHelloWord can keep shading Alex cos I'm sure IT was arselicking HOH when it first came out then when it uderperformed he was shading it.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Shoed wrote: »
    Misha has less going for her... she hasn't even got a fanbase hardly lol
    She's fat aswell... Say that doesn't matter but it does lol She ain't going nowhere with that image.

So WhyHelloWord can keep shading Alex cos I'm sure IT was arselicking HOH when it first came out then when it uderperformed he was shading it.

:eek::eek: SCREAMING. But sadly the truth...
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnimsa6xxI1qkmpj8o1_500.gif