Options

The Big HMV On Oxford Street

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's closing down! I was there today and it has big 'store closing' signs all over the store. I am not that surprised since HMV is terribly out of touch now with its expensive pricing, but i am slightly surprised that the big oxford street one would close. I always thought that one would stay safe with tourists and whatnot. i must admit that HMV was the main reason i would visit the dreadful oxford street.

Now that the oxford street one is going i reckon this must be it for HMV. The end is nigh,

Comments

• Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there a sale? They've had some great sales over the years when it werent closing, I might have to get down there
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't they moving to a smaller premises on Oxford Street?
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've opened another one nearby but it's not as big. I wonder what store will be going there once it's closed down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there a sale? They've had some great sales over the years when it werent closing, I might have to get down there

Yes i spotted a lot of '2 for £10' stickers etc and if you're a porridge fan you can get the entire collection boxset for £9.99 :D
  • Options
    Sesay2000Sesay2000 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's simply a store relocation sale. The lease must be expiring and the company want rid of it. Makes sense really, considering they've moved back to their original location by Bond Street station and the big store hasn't been changed since HMV moved in all those years ago.

It's being replaced by Sports Direct so I don't expect the layout of the store to change much. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10144651/HMVs-Oxford-Street-flagship-to-become-a-Sports-Direct.html
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a shame...I liked that big old store...they were large enough so that they could stock pretty much everything you wanted, it was always my go-to place for music and films.

I don't think the new store is the original location, it is on the opposite side of the road.

However...went in there on Friday looking for the Gravity soundtrack...not a single copy...
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been going on since early summer.

http://www.hmv.co.uk/music/363-oxford-street-hmv-comes-home

They re-opened their original store at the other end of Oxford Street and still have a mini store in Selfridges.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sesay2000 wrote: »
    It's simply a store relocation sale. The lease must be expiring and the company want rid of it. Makes sense really, considering they've moved back to their original location by Bond Street station and the big store hasn't been changed since HMV moved in all those years ago.

It's being replaced by Sports Direct so I don't expect the layout of the store to change much. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10144651/HMVs-Oxford-Street-flagship-to-become-a-Sports-Direct.html

Sports Direct are going into that site are they? Another nail in the coffin for Oxford Street then. I thought they were trying to keep the fire sale type stores down the east of Oxford Circus strip of shops.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    It is a shame...I liked that big old store...they were large enough so that they could stock pretty much everything you wanted, it was always my go-to place for music and films.

I don't think the new store is the original location, it is on the opposite side of the road.

The new store is in exactly the same location as where HMV were based for many decades - they had another store across the road for a few years. The big store nearer Tottenham Court Road used to be wonderful but it's obviously far too large for the range of product sold now - far fewer music CDs are sold now and the store opened in the days of the LP and video tapes which took up a lot of space.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news. I used to make special trips there when I went to London as a teen/twentysomething. It's an iconic place to me even though I no longer support the music industry financially and find the internet a far better source for finding rare music easily. I feel the loss of this store all the same though, just because I did used to buy from them and spent many happy hours browsing and loving it.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    It's being replaced by Sports Direct so I don't expect the layout of the store to change much. [url][/url]

So the Eastern half of Oxford Street is going to get even more tedious. That will be why I hardly go to Oxford Street these days.

:(
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The selection of stock in the Bond Street station store is quite poor. A shame but these are tough times.

HMV also have a store in Selfridge's basement.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The selection of stock in the Bond Street station store is quite poor. A shame but these are tough times.

I made the mistake of going in there last week. It`s like Satan`s waiting room. You`re practically assaulted by floorwalker sales assistants (a repellant American practice) as soon as you walk through the door. Everything is crammed into a small space, shit music blares out and the place is uncomfortably full due to it`s small size. Who the **** wants to walk up to Bond Street anyway? Unless you`re already going to John Lewis or Selfridges - NOBODY!

Even the Selfridges branch is halved in size now and nothing is racked properly. The staff seem even more surly and disinterested as a result whereas the Oxford Circus lot (the old-timers anyway) are genuinely gutted, as am I, that their landmark store is closing. Decades of my life and many thousands of pounds spent in that hallowed place. Feels like an old friend is in the terminal stages, only days left to go....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    It`s like Satan`s waiting room. You`re practically assaulted by floorwalker sales assistants (a repellant American practice) as soon as you walk through the door. Everything is crammed into a small space, shit music blares out and the place is uncomfortably full due to it`s small size.

Yes, i noticed all these things too when i visited the bond street one.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    They don't even have the individual prices for chart blurays and dvd's up when I went just before Christmas. And not opening until 12 on a Sunday? They lost a lot of customers that day.
    It's awful. Far too small, much more like what you'd expect to find in a regional shopping centre.
    If they're not going to bother they only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member

As I recall, I posted a similar thread on Sunday but what my source of information didn't tell me was that the big one in Manchester City centre's being relocated to another close location. It's probably going on with other HMVs No doubt it'll be taken over by another supermarket or clothes shop.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The one in Newport is closing down on 11th January. May pay it a visit in the next few days to see if I can grab any bargains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    And not opening until 12 on a Sunday? They lost a lot of customers that day.

Sunday trading laws only allow them to open for 6 hours.
    Was there a sale?

A helluva sale - Started out at 4 for £10, then 3 for £5 and finally 6 for £9 with all manner of blu-ray (box-sets included), steelbooks and special editions included. The last day saw other floors go mad with the yellow 80% off stickers resulting in some blu-rays for as little as ONE pound! T-shirts (Marvel, 2000AD etc) for £3 as well as lots of games (which I wasn`t at all interested in so I couldn`t say if they were good buys but I did see lots of people grabbing armfuls so I guess they were).
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    ..but i am slightly surprised that the big oxford street one would close.

Apparently Hilco were looking for offers of 6-9m for the Oxford Circus branch. No idea if they got that from Sports Direct but the last thing that street needs is another bloody trainer shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one in Newport is closing down on 11th January. May pay it a visit in the next few days to see if I can grab any bargains.

Did you go? According to the local rag they had some cheap stuff on offer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you go? According to the local rag they had some cheap stuff on offer.

I did, it was a disappointment to be honest. They were advertising up to 70% off in the shop window, but I didn't see anything of worth (or at all really) with more than 10% discounted. I might as well have gone to the Cwmbran store and saved myself a bus journey. Maybe it was just the DVD section though. Still, I thought I would pick up The Likely Lads box set while I was there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did, it was a disappointment to be honest. They were advertising up to 70% off in the shop window, but I didn't see anything of worth (or at all really) with more than 10% discounted.

Sounds very much like the kind of scam they`re running in the smaller stores. Signage gives the impression of deep discounts but the actuality is virtually everything is a measly 10% off only.

Hilco seemed to have had no intention of rebuilding the brand, contradicting their statements from less than a year ago.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    It's closing down! I was there today and it has big 'store closing' signs all over the store. I am not that surprised since HMV is terribly out of touch now with its expensive pricing, but i am slightly surprised that the big oxford street one would close. I always thought that one would stay safe with tourists and whatnot. i must admit that HMV was the main reason i would visit the dreadful oxford street.

Now that the oxford street one is going i reckon this must be it for HMV. The end is nigh,

they are moving to a smaller shop - ironically the same shop that HMV was in when it first started.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are moving to a smaller shop - ironically the same shop that HMV was in when it first started.

They`re already open at Bond St, and a horrible, small poxy place it is too. The irony is their other Bond Street location near The Disney Store was a much better shop, being like a smaller version of Oxford Circus and still over 3 floors. Any fanfare associated with re-opening their original location is soon rendered moot when you have the misfortune to visit the actual shop. Put it this way, I won`t be making a repeat visit. I had a lengthy chat with one of the staff (mid-fifties from the look of him so I am sure he`ll be edged out soon in favour of a Yoof) and we found ourselves nodding in agreement at the reasons for the gradual destruction of the HMV brand both at the hands of downloaders and Hilco - A deadly combination!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds very much like the kind of scam they`re running in the smaller stores. Signage gives the impression of deep discounts but the actuality is virtually everything is a measly 10% off only.

Hilco seemed to have had no intention of rebuilding the brand, contradicting their statements from less than a year ago.

Indeed. I can see them going into administration again soon, with further store closures. It's a shame but I think HMV's days are numbered.

On the flip side if and when they do disappear altogether maybe we will see more independant entertainment stores crop up?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    They`re already open at Bond St, and a horrible, small poxy place it is too. The irony is their other Bond Street location near The Disney Store was a much better shop, being like a smaller version of Oxford Circus and still over 3 floors. Any fanfare associated with re-opening their original location is soon rendered moot when you have the misfortune to visit the actual shop. Put it this way, I won`t be making a repeat visit. I had a lengthy chat with one of the staff (mid-fifties from the look of him so I am sure he`ll be edged out soon in favour of a Yoof) and we found ourselves nodding in agreement at the reasons for the gradual destruction of the HMV brand both at the hands of downloaders and Hilco - A deadly combination!

Oh I assumed they were staying at the above site- so they're moving from there, then?
    Such a shame the flagship store has closed but HMV have only themselves to blame. Sat there thinking they were so well-known, they didn't need to keep up with the times. Idiots.