2006 laptop getting too slow

2»

Comments

• SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    I've just spent another 2 hours looking at laptops including open box and refurbs and outlet deals and can't find anything to touch those three I initially recommended.

When it comes to fast CPUs for laptops for normal use there isn't really much around for a 4th gen except the i5-4200M, which at CPU Mark 4153 is considerably slower than the i7s above. Fast 3rd gen i5s and i7s are thin on the ground and I couldn't find any laptops that would suit Soundbox.

Then there's finding a combination of a fast 4th gen i7 CPU and a dedicated graphics card and 8GB RAM minimum and a high res screen under £700. Anyone who can find one please post because apart from the ones I recommended they are all well over this price ceiling.

There's been a lot of flak directed at PC World over the years but speaking from personal experience only I can't find fault with buying a laptop from them.

As to Tassium's point that I am addicted to speed at the cost of useability I would respectfully disagree. When it comes to fast laptop CPUs at the £500 to 550 price point there's only the 4200M in the frame at the moment and given the needs of the OP it's probably not up to the job required, although for other users then yes fair enough it'll be great.

Also I think you have to take into account that over the years inevitably the system will slow down. The more bang per buck so to speak when you buy the better your chances are that (providing you look after it) the slowdown will be less affected. Also to some extent the more future proofed you are. That's why I picked those three laptops.

Thank you so much for taking time to do this for me - its helping a me focus on what I need a great deal. Armed with a bit more info I have been doing some research of my own - but a trip to PC World is planned for Friday afternoon. I really need to see them in action (hopefuly I'll be left alone and not pounced on).

I get the feeling that any of the mid range units will suit me but its a lot of money so I will try to choose wisely. I'll keep you posted on the model I choose:)

I'm looking forward to it!
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi Soundbox, just looking at some laptops today and found this MSI CX61 for £550. Reading your last post if you'd rather have a dual core i5 4th gen M model (the M designation is for performance, whereas the U models are efficient), then the MSI has the i5-4210M, slightly faster than the 4200M at CPU Mark 4334. It's as fast by comparison as the 3rd gen quad core i7-3520M: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4210M-Notebook-Processor.115116.0.html

The rest of the spec is up there though, with 8GB RAM, the GT820M graphics card, Full HD and 2 x USB 3.0 ports, (USB 3.0 is much faster than 2.0). I read as well that you can get a Blu-ray drive for this model for an extra £50, so it would be worth asking the retailer if they could do this for you. Even without the BD drive, it still sounds like a good buy. MSI make first rate laptops: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CX61-2PC-685UK-MSI-CX61-Haswell_1620397.html
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Thanks evil c - that looks like a nice multi task machine. What do you reckon - take a punt and order the MSI or would you go for one of the ones you pointed out at PC World?

I don't suppose that they differ that greatly but I would value your personal opinion.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it ever comes down to a toss off on price over a few parts then spend the money on those that can't be as easily upgraded like cpu as you normally can just undo a few screws and pop in some extra ram/larger hdd(ssd) as prices fall enough to become affordable.

something like an external burner would cost more but you'll keep it probably many more years than the laptop so would balance out
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would seriously recommend placing CPU/memory/HDD specs in 2nd place and concentrate on screen/build quality/keyboard/noise/warranty and the general usability.

Amazon have reviews from the public and I find this very useful. You don't have to buy it from Amazon.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Jeez, you're putting me on the spot. I don't know, it's up to you. All I'm doing is finding what's available now to buy, helping you out with the specs and empowering you so you can make an informed decision, based on your computing needs. It's your hard earned money that's being spent so it has to be your responsibility.

I'd go and have a butchers at PC World anyway. It might be worth 'phoning in advance to see if they have the models in stock, but even if they don't you can test out the main manufacturers keyboard layouts and see how much give there is when you press on the keys and what the typing experience is like. You can see how the touchpads feel and where the USB ports are located. Nothing like hands on. If the sales people think you know more than them, they'll avoid you like the plague.

Re the MSI, with the new consumer contract regs since June 13th you have 14 days to reject and return (both laptop and packaging in perfect condition so they can resell the product as new) and they have to give you your money back within 14 days, although you'd have to pay the return postage which would cost a few bob with the insurance (see Cooling off period and Responsibility for returning goods on cancellation): http://sites.edechert.com/10/3274/may-2014/impact-of-new-consumer-contracts-regulation-in-the-united-kingdom-on-internet-sales.asp?sid=05b91269-4474-4c2d-b988-2503ddd7d83cFor

I bought all my laptops sight unseen and via mail order and for me it's worked out well in the end, although there were 3 faulty ones along the way before I got the Full HD i7 one I have now, with a BD drive, that's worked perfectly since Nov 2010.

All I would say is that I'd go for a Full HD 17.3 inch screen if it was me, because video looks better on a bigger screen to me. I'd decide on the spec and then I'd look every day and wait for the right machine, and as soon as I saw it I'd buy it, and hope for the best. Something else...hyper-threaded CPUs are excellent for video editing.