Lorraine upset by news stories

Comments

• TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again you don't have a point.

Oh dear.

You seem to think that repeating yourself over and over again is going to change something.

As you cannot seem to grasp the obvious by examining you past posts let me make it sufficiently easy that even a child of five could understand.

Talking about Lorraine's upset:

You said:

"She should not be so sensitive to criticism."

to which I responded:

"Ahh, the 'blame the victim' mentality. "

If you still cannot see the point you are beyond help. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tern, there's no need to be quite so nasty

please, can we all just stop with all the nastiness?
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Suziechan. Tern, you're entitled to your own opinion and to support Lorraine as much as you want but please can you stop forcing her down everyone else's throats? I quite like Lorraine but you're turning me against her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to topic:

IMO Lorraine should not be sensitive to criticism as I beleive she is in the same situation as all other candidates. Most of them have been heavily criticised by the audience and the media.

If the "Swinger" article is fabricated, then whoever responsible must not get away with it. Lorraine has a partner and children and their family should not suffer because someone wants to make extra profit.
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to topic:

IMO Lorraine should not be sensitive to criticism as I beleive she is in the same situation as all other candidates. Most of them have been heavily criticised by the audience and the media.

If the "Swinger" article is fabricated, then whoever responsible must not get away with it. Lorraine has a partner and children and their family should not suffer because someone wants to make extra profit.

I think she is entitled to be upset, but at the same time I don't think her upset is any worse than others who have suffered the same type of exposure. It must be especially difficult wh they are out and can't respond. Even smaller articles can have an impact on relationships etc... Ben and the goldfish, Debra s*x stories, stories about Kate/Phil (including other contestants saying he was after them).

But there is another side whereby they put themselves into these situations, which has shown year after year what happens. I think anyone who isn't thickskinned should think carefully about entering these programmes as 9/10 there will be at least one story that will do damage and any wrongdoings suddenly become public. For Lorraine; this could impact on her kids. For Ben and Phil; any moment they screw up or even talk to another woman could lead to the papers advertising that or affair mentionned, putting huge pressure on their relationships. It's a good job Ben has been with his girlfriend for 3 years and Phil/Kate have had 6 months of the quiet life. Lorraine has only had 2 stories; imagine some ex contestants who have half a dozen stories sold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she is entitled to be upset, but at the same time I don't think her upset is any worse than others who have suffered the same type of exposure. It must be especially difficult wh they are out and can't respond. Even smaller articles can have an impact on relationships etc... Ben and the goldfish, Debra s*x stories, stories about Kate/Phil (including other contestants saying he was after them).

But there is another side whereby they put themselves into these situations, which has shown year after year what

I agree a candidate should be prepared for every aspect of their life being dissected by the public and the media. Negative comments that target their business acumen, their personality, and even their looks are expected. But nothing would have prepared Lorraine for the swinger story? This is completely unacceptable.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there also some difficulties with some businesses run by her father?
    He allegedly fled to ireland to escape prosecution.

It was in the....er....papers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She looks like she's lost more weight than it says
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Disappointed to read this (especially as she is my fav contest thus far). I don't think anyone can possibly anticipate or predict this kind of outcome, irrespective of whether its reality tv or not.....

I hope she gets through this soon....:(
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree a candidate should be prepared for every aspect of their life being dissected by the public and the media. Negative comments that target their business acumen, their personality, and even their looks are expected. But nothing would have prepared Lorraine for the swinger story? This is completely unacceptable.

Definately unacceptable but I don't think stories about personal life is unexpected. Every year we see these sort of stories about candidates. It "should" be articles about their business acumen, but never is unfortunately. There are some candidates that take this stuff on the chin and some that can't. Unfortunately, there is not a lot that can be done about it. There are some horrible people and "friends" out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suziechan wrote: »
    tern, there's no need to be quite so nasty

please, can we all just stop with all the nastiness?

Sorry, Someone else says that the fact a candidate is upset is her own fault and I'm being nasty?

That is a pretty strange take. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    I agree with Suziechan. Tern, you're entitled to your own opinion and to support Lorraine as much as you want but please can you stop forcing her down everyone else's throats? I quite like Lorraine but you're turning me against her.

Quiote honestly, if you can change your opinion of a real person based on nothing more than what unrelated people say on a forum you are so out of touch with reality that, well ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    Sorry, Someone else says that the fact a candidate is upset is her own fault and I'm being nasty?

I never said that it was her fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said she should not be sensitive to criticism, i.e. she should not take it personally as she is not the only one targeted. In other words, if she is criticised, it is not necessarily because she deserves it. They should know that they are going to be criticised even if they are perfect!!!! She is entitled to be upset but it should not affect her life to the extent she considers suicide.

Lorraine should not be sensitive to criticism != It is Lorraine's fault that she is upset to be criticised.

Even if I said (wrongly) it was her fault, it was an opinion. You should not attack someone for their opinion!!!!
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I said she should not be sensitive to criticism, i.e. she should not take it personally as she is not the only one targeted. In other words, if she is criticised, it is not necessarily because she deserves it. They should know that they are going to be criticised even if they are perfect!!!! She is entitled to be upset but it should not affect her life to the extent she considers suicide.

Lorraine should not be sensitive to criticism != It is Lorraine's fault that she is upset to be criticised.

Even if I said (wrongly) it was her fault, it was an opinion. You should not attack someone for their opinion!!!!

But you are saying that it is her own fault that she is upset, that's exactly what you are saying in the part I highlighted in bold.:confused:
  • 688peterl688peterl Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG i love Lorraine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    But you are saying that it is her own fault that she is upset, that's exactly what you are saying in the part I highlighted in bold.:confused:

I used the symbol (!=) for "not equal to". Sorry I should have been clearer.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used the symbol (!=) for "not equal to". Sorry I should have been clearer.

mmm okay.:)

You are right that people who enter the show should not be overly-sensitive to criticism, but that is easier said than done and everyone has limits.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that she should not take it so personally, but some people are just more sensitive than others. I think she's maybe had a bit more negative press than some of them and also been depicted as someone who alienates other people.

She's my favourite candidate this year so I'm sorry to hear she's having a bad time of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    mmm okay.:)

You are right that people who enter the show should not be overly-sensitive to criticism, but that is easier said than done and everyone has limits.

I don't believe that Lorraine is really overly sensitive to criticism. She seems to me a strong woman and she certainly can stand up for herself.

As I indicated in my original post the media interest in her personal life is a much bigger problem than the criticism IMO. Especially that swinger story - how could she have prepared herself for that if it is entirely fabricated?!!!! Even if she can take it, nothing would have prepared her children for it :(!!!
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    Wasn't there also some difficulties with some businesses run by her father?
    He allegedly fled to ireland to escape prosecution.

It was in the....er....papers.

That story is undoubtedly true. The Beeb fielded a spokesman to deal with it as they were coming under criticism for selecting a candidate for the show who had recently been under investigation by the Revenue.
    Have to ask, as well, if the 'swinger' stories are totally unfounded why she told other candidates those stories and why her ex boyfriend is still jabbering to the press? Of course, it might be that she will shortly be 'fired' and contractually free to sell her own stories, so it's a good time to drum up press interest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    That story is undoubtedly true. The Beeb fielded a spokesman to deal with it as they were coming under criticism for selecting a candidate for the show who had recently been under investigation by the Revenue.
    Have to ask, as well, if the 'swinger' stories are totally unfounded why she told other candidates those stories and why her ex boyfriend is still jabbering to the press? Of course, it might be that she will shortly be 'fired' and contractually free to sell her own stories, so it's a good time to drum up press interest.

She didn't sell the story to the paper and how do you know she told other candidates? there is no reason to believe that that wasn't fabricated as well.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't sell the story to the paper and how do you know she told other candidates? there is no reason to believe that that wasn't fabricated as well.

Well maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Either way, I don't see the swinger story as a big deal but she has every right to be upset that her personal life is being exposed in the tabs. And by people who plainly did it for the cash. That, combined with the 'hate' sites on Facebook would be enough to make any rational person extremely upset. Yes, she should have known that once she appears on a reality show, her life is a free-for-all as far as the tabs are concerned, but I can see why the combination of all the negativity would upset her. It would upset any normal person. Hope she manages to ride it out and see it for the nonsense it is and not let it affect her long term.

I'm not a fan btw, just looking at it from the perspective of how I would feel in a similar situation. But then I have more sense than to go on a reality tv show. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »

i'm not talking about who is right or wrong...

i'm talking about the way you write things.

there are better ways of getting your argument across than personal insults...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suziechan wrote: »
    there are better ways of getting your argument across than personal insults...

What did you see as an insult?