Options

The youth speaking accents/slang that's not even localised i.e British!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the inhuman Dizzie Rascal accent. Anyone sporting it should be sent to dea- I mean, work camps.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the inhuman Dizzie Rascal accent. Anyone sporting it should be sent to dea- I mean, work camps.

Oh yes the ole immigrants-to-the-death-camps lark - where have we heard that one before? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    Oh yes the ole immigrants-to-the-death-camps lark - where have we heard that one before? :rolleyes:

Who said immigrants? :confused:

It's that bloody accent I cannot stand. White, black, pink, purple or orange, it doesn't matter. That accent is a disease.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's that bloody accent I cannot stand. White, black, pink, purple or orange, it doesn't matter. That accent is a disease.
    I'm still not getting to grips with how people can feel so strongly about this. It's an accent fgs. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand how some of them go, and what is it with the way they prounounce words with "th" on end, it comes out as "trueffff" "youffff" etc.
    Also what is it with girls, who in a row do that "Walk like an egyptian" thing with their necks and arms?
  • Options
    SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A remember a great thread on this very same subject here.

Some hot-headed people in there, too! Especially on the last page.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is utterly ridiculous.

White kids (generally chavs) wearing lots of Rebok, gold and going around talking like Dizzee Rascal.

Please :rolleyes:

It's white kids from all backgrounds around where I live who talk in "cool" slang. I've long said the only reality tv show I'd like to see , is where these youngsters are dumped in the neighbourhoods overseas where this patter developed and then we see how long they last. To be honest , a lot of it does grow out of the tv youngsters watch and the music to which they listen.
  • Options
    FlyBoyI52FlyBoyI52 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    They're just talking like their mates. If you think doing anything that's slightly more 'black' is lowering yourself, then you're a racist fool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    I'm still not getting to grips with how people can feel so strongly about this. It's an accent fgs. :rolleyes:

Check out post #11. Clue's in the last line.

It's foreign. And we all know Britain should be a local land ferr local people. Can't have any of this foreign riff-raff bastardising the mother-tongue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remembered, I got talking to a girl at a college I go to who talks with the accent and acts like Kevin & Perry.
    She was actually Scotish then moved to Southend, I asked why she talked like that, and she replied it was to come across as hard and avoid being bullied. I said "surely though as being plastic you were doing yourself no favours?", and to be honest she wasn't, most people around got seriously fooked off with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've grown up in North London for much of my life and generally come across the 'cockney' and Essex accents.

Over the last 5-10 years some youth/teenagers have developed how can I describe faux-Jamaican, urban ghetto speak slang, alog with wearing pyjamas and baseball caps

Most of these kids are of white origin born and raised in London. So WHY speak in an alien tone? WHY attach themselves to an alien way of life?

Is it THAT BAD to be proud of our culture and history here?

I'm fairly young myself but I find it disgusting.

How do you feel?

This sort of post irritates because it has no basis in reality.
    I have a Jamaican parent and having lived with their accent for years I can assure you that the accent / dialect you dislike couldn't be further from a Jamaican accent if you tried.

Do you even know what a Jamaican accent sounds like? English slang like "innit" etc is defintely not part of it. I don't know where it's come from, but please stop with blaming Jamaicans.
  • Options
    FlyBoyI52FlyBoyI52 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Jamaican Patois/Creole isn't an accent - its a language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dizzie's parents were born in Africa. The thread is complaining about non-native accents. Linking a non-white to the words 'inhuman' + 'death camps' is seriously dodgy ground...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    News just in: accents develop. The distinctive Liverpool accent, so different to the rest of Lancashire, is attributed to influx of immigrants, particularly large numbers of Irish. The Australian accent developed as a fusion of all British regional accents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obadia wrote: »
    I have a Jamaican parent and having lived with their accent for years I can assure you that the accent / dialect you dislike couldn't be further from a Jamaican accent if you tried.

Do you even know what a Jamaican accent sounds like? English slang like "innit" etc is defintely not part of it. I don't know where it's come from, but please stop with blaming Jamaicans.

It's nothing to DO with Jamaicans or Jamaica. That's the whole entire point. It's white kids living in predominantly "white areas" going around with their white mates in their white gangs talking what THEY THINK is some kind of gangsta language.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, what's 'frankly pathetic' is you thinking that just because a person was born in Britain they can't naturally pick up accents, sayings, dialects, language etc from members of their own family who were born elsewhere. It's possible to dip in and out of accents.

I also don't see what's so wrong with young people adopting languagues and dialects that aren't traditionally their own.

What about the "dude", "awesome", "cool" etc that pervades DS ? I seriously doubt everyone using these words are Californian surfers.
    That's gonna knock some people on their asses.

I'm not sure about the other point, about kids picking up family accents. I grew up in Jamaica, people didn't try to speak like that, they aimed for RP. Street patois was like cant or cockney in English, it wasn't aspirational or widely used except as a kind of affectation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    Just remembered, I got talking to a girl at a college I go to who talks with the accent and acts like Kevin & Perry.
    She was actually Scotish then moved to Southend, I asked why she talked like that, and she replied it was to come across as hard and avoid being bullied. I said "surely though as being plastic you were doing yourself no favours?", and to be honest she wasn't, most people around got seriously fooked off with it.
    Just shows how intolerant people are, doesn't it. There's irony here somewhere, if you look.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First off, Jamaican creole is a language within its own right. Secondly accents are diverse things and can change dramatically according to many different factors, and thirdly - why such an uproar? Many accents are seen as less desirable than others, and I've seen them slagged off on here many a time - scouse, brummie, geordie. Maybe it's because white kids are using a 'black' accent.. a 'disease', and they need to be sent to death camps for it.

according to this thread.

It's nothing to do with not being proud of your history or culture, and the accent you speak of is not just limited to Jamaica but is widespread, so I wouldn't say it's a particular embrace of Jamaican culture. Besides, would that mean anyone with a non-typical British accent is not proud to be British?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obadia wrote: »

"Innit" seems to be quite common amongst British/Asians. At least, if Goodness Gracious Me is anything to go by... no, seriously, everyone at work finishes their sentences with "innit". Not sure about the etymology though.

What baffles me though (and I still haven't had a response to this) is why someone would say "I hate it when people talk like this." What's that all about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kids have everything! Easy exams, materialism coming out of their eye sockets, 1000000 universities to go to, food always available :mad:

That's not true. Exams aren't easy, and materialism isn't necessarily a good thing, having a lot of different universities doesn't make life better in fact it makes its harder as people aspire to go to the 'good' ones, and food isn't always avaliable - plenty of poverty around in the UK, sadly..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    Just shows how intolerant people are, doesn't it. There's irony here somewhere, if you look.

People can be intolerant, it's annoying trying to have a conversation with someone who's coming across all false.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    People can be intolerant, it's annoying trying to have a conversation with someone who's coming across all false.
    Would you say the same about Ann Robinson or Joanna Lumley, to name two off the top of my head? Maybe you are reading too much into an accent, or maybe you like hyperbole, since all they have done is adopt an accent rather than be "all false".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean999 wrote: »
    That's gonna knock some people on their asses.

I'm not sure about the other point, about kids picking up family accents. I grew up in Jamaica, people didn't try to speak like that, they aimed for RP. Street patois was like cant or cockney in English, it wasn't aspirational or widely used except as a kind of affectation.

My family's mainly from Barbados (although it's a mish-mash of other stuff too). Whilst I sound like a born and bred Brit, some of my cousins speak with a caribbean accent despite the fact that they were born here. It's interchangeable though, depends who they're with. So I know that kids can do pick up family accents and it can take them into adult life.

I have to say though, the accents, patois, languages being discussed (and 'dissed') here sound absolutely nothing like the way people from the caribbean of my mother's generation speak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the "dude", "awesome", "cool" etc that pervades DS ? I seriously doubt everyone using these words are Californian surfers.

Californian surfers? Dude is a 19th century word meaning a worthless wannabe rancher or cow handler or cowboy. I think the use of cool, in your context, is of African orgin.
    First off, Jamaican creole is a language within its own right. Secondly accents are diverse things and can change dramatically according to many different factors, and thirdly - why such an uproar? Many accents are seen as less desirable than others, and I've seen them slagged off on here many a time - scouse, brummie, geordie. Maybe it's because white kids are using a 'black' accent.. a 'disease', and they need to be sent to death camps for it.

But this isn't about languages or accents or even dialects or brogues. It's about white kids pretending to speak like black gangstas who don't exist and if they did exist wouldn't speak like that. They are taking Ali G and Tim Westwood seriously. A bit like you took someone's joke about death camps seriously :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    But this isn't about languages or accents or even dialects or brogues.
    It's about white kids pretending to speak like black gangstas

Forgive me for thinking otherwise :confused:
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    A bit like you took someone's joke about death camps seriously :)

If you read that user's comment, it doesn't sound like they're joking.