The Fleetwood Mac Appreciation Thread

SonofaBeastSonofaBeast Posts: 334
Forum Member
Let's talk about one of the greatest bands in music history. What are you favourite songs, albums, lineups, tours,etc?

I grew up listening to their music, mainly the earlier blues stuff that my mom and dad played around the house. It wasn't until I bought Rumours back in 2003 when I was 19 that I truly fell in love with them. I would kill to go back in time and see them live in the '70s as there we some truly knockout performances like these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPyk8_onO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcsYa6jFRoY

I did go and see them in concert in 2003 and 2009 and they blew me away.

My favourite lineup has to be the classic Buckingham Nicks lineup. The way they took what was going on in their personal lives and wrote often brutally honest and haunting songs and survived it all is just amazing. Also a big shout out to the underrated Bob Welch era.

Favourite songs:

Station Man
Did You Ever Love Me
Hypnotized
Heroes Are Hard to Find
Come a Little Bit Closer
Sentimental Lady
Rhiannon
World Turning
Landslide
Crystal
I'm So Afraid
The Chain
Dreams
Oh Daddy
Go Your Own Way
Gold Dust Woman
Songbird
Sara (my favourite)
Brown Eyes
Tusk
Storms
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Honey Hi
Beautiful Child
Sisters of the Moon
That's Alright
Big Love
Caroline
Isn't It Midnight
Family Man
Tango in the Night
Temporary One
Silver Springs
Illume
Steal Your Heart Away
Oh Well
Green Manalishi
Man of the World
Black Magic Woman
I Believe My Time Ain't Long
Rattlesnake Shake

Favourite album is "Tusk".

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Fleetwood Mac. I'm going to be predictable and say that Rumours is my favourite album. That's mainly because I've been listening to it a lot lately. As far as a favourite song, I adore the Chain. I'm a sucker for the harmonies on that track.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I allowed to only be appreciative of a small part, rather than most, of the band's career on an "Appreciation" thread?

I absolutely love the Peter Green incarnation of the band, but am not that keen on what came later.

Favourite tracks:-

Man of the World
    Need Your Love So Bad
    Green Manalishi
    Oh Well Part 1
    Oh Well Part 2
    Albatross
    Dragonfly
    Black Magic Woman
    Shake Your Money Maker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours is a beautiful album...i love Fleetwood Mac so much, the Buckingham era is my favourite!

Lindsay, Stevie Nicks and Chistine McVie....such powerful voices!

They are the greatest rock band in music history IMO (of course there are laos i absolutely love to death but The Mac get it!)

Cannot wait for them to make a comeback as rumoured and speculated!
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Great, great band. I love Stevie Nicks who may just be my favourite female vocalist of all time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I allowed to only be appreciative of a small part, rather than most, of the band's career on an "Appreciation" thread?

I absolutely love the Peter Green incarnation of the band, but am not that keen on what came later.

Favourite tracks:-

Man of the World
    Need Your Love So Bad
    Green Manalishi
    Oh Well Part 1
    Oh Well Part 2
    Albatross
    Dragonfly
    Black Magic Woman
    Shake Your Money Maker

The Peter Green era was terrific. Need Your Love So Bad is probably my favourite song after The Chain.

I think the fact that they were so prolific is one of the great things about the band although of course each era wasn't for everyone like in your case. Personally, I tend to go through phases of listening to the Green era a lot and then swinging to the Buckingham/Nicks era depending on my listening moods.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Only just discovered them and I think they're amazing. Fallen in love with Stevie Nicks, what a fantastic woman! As is Chrissie and then the guys, loved all songs I've heard so far which is the 1988 greatest hits album, will spend longer listening to them tomorrow, but my life has new meaning now :cry::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Only just discovered them and I think they're amazing. Fallen in love with Stevie Nicks, what a fantastic woman! As is Chrissie and then the guys, loved all songs I've heard so far which is the 1988 greatest hits album, will spend longer listening to them tomorrow, but my life has new meaning now :cry::D

Madonna

Kate Bush

grace Jones

THE MAC

Marvin gaye

theyre all i need in life tbh....my ALL TIMES

so glad that you have found the love (geddit...lookin out for love! :D ) for them :)

Lindsay is a phenomenal male vocalist!

Christine is so enchanting and husky

Stevie is otherworldly!
    Forum Member
    Madonna

Kate Bush

grace Jones

THE MAC

Marvin gaye

theyre all i need in life tbh....my ALL TIMES

so glad that you have found the love (geddit...lookin out for love! :D ) for them :)

Lindsay is a phenomenal male vocalist!

Christine is so enchanting and husky

Stevie is otherworldly!

The MAC are becoming one of mine without a doubt really wanna go through their albums over the next week and discover. Oh I like Albatross too, though I think everyone does! Same with Go Your Own Way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MAC are becoming one of mine without a doubt really wanna go through their albums over the next week and discover. Oh I like Albatross too, though I think everyone does! Same with Go Your Own Way

Yeah go your own way is CLASSSS!!!!!

And yes explore the unexplorable! :D
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my faves is the B side of Big Love - 'You & I Part 1'
    Also 'Oh Diane' 'Sara' and the Tango In The Night LP

Can't forget 'Albatross' of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gonna blast some MAC tonight before bed....ultimate dream material i always find.
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a393036/fleetwood-mac-reuniting-in-2013-says-stevie-nicks.html This is what I've wanted to hear!!! Would LOVE to go and see them!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a393036/fleetwood-mac-reuniting-in-2013-says-stevie-nicks.html This is what I've wanted to hear!!! Would LOVE to go and see them!!! :D

i actually screamed!!! :D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    i actually screamed!!! :D:D:D:D

OMG YESSS!!! WOAH this would be massive!! I would just love to go :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG YESSS!!! WOAH this would be massive!! I would just love to go :D

Yes i really would too...doesnt sound like Christine will be reuniting though...but like a poster said...she has earnt her status and the quiet life she wanted so of course...why give it up?
    Forum Member
    Yes i really would too...doesnt sound like Christine will be reuniting though...but like a poster said...she has earnt her status and the quiet life she wanted so of course...why give it up?

Yeah I know bless her, she's 70 this year too! But yeah it would be nice but she's in retirement and as it's been said, she never really wanted fame and she didn't like touring :(
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like lots of'em but 'Dreams' and 'Gypsy' are my absolute faves (the lyrics to both are amazing).
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Like lots of'em but 'Dreams' and 'Gypsy' are my absolute faves (the lyrics to both are amazing).

I really like both of them yeah, Dreams especially is such an amazing song and a well earned #1 in America; also a highlight for me of the Rumours :cool:
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I was just about to post that they are re-uniting, but somebody has beaten me to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know bless her, she's 70 this year too! But yeah it would be nice but she's in retirement and as it's been said, she never really wanted fame and she didn't like touring :(

Yeah it is sad she wont be but at the same point who can blame her....i mean the pressures of the band across the 70s and 80s mustve been psychologically and mentally damaging too really especially the drama behind the scenes of the music.
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I was just about to post that they are re-uniting, but somebody has beaten me to it.

;)

I was looking for the thread to post it in and I found a new post so I thought the same...turns out I went for gold :D
    Forum Member
    Yeah it is sad she wont be but at the same point who can blame her....i mean the pressures of the band across the 70s and 80s mustve been psychologically and mentally damaging too really especially the drama behind the scenes of the music.

I was talking to my dad about it and he said they were very strong seeing how some members knew some members "better" ;) than some others, yet they put it all behind them and got on with it, where other people may have fallen apart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking to my dad about it and he said they were very strong seeing how some members knew some members "better" ;) than some others, yet they put it all behind them and got on with it, where other people may have fallen apart

emotionally....well it created such landmarks with Rumours really...all that deep dark territory coming out!
    Forum Member
    emotionally....well it created such landmarks with Rumours really...all that deep dark territory coming out!

Suppose Rumours for Fleetwood was like what OK! Mag is for fake reality stars...just get it all out ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suppose Rumours for Fleetwood was like what OK! Mag is for fake reality stars...just get it all out ;)

well yeah it was a collage of emotions and home truths spilt out for the world to see...very clever and something they had to do...and so many artists have made work for them....that "personal era(s)" in their music where they break away from the "gossip/celeb" mould and present their own accounts.