Advice please

shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
Forum Member
This half somewhere to come and rant about this..half a bit of advice on what to do about something that me feel very uncomfortable..

My brother lives only a minutes walk from me..his neighbours (the ones he is joined on to..are getting on a bit and the man has incurable cancer (he is still up and about walking around and doing things..)..my brother had a good relationship with them when they loved in..then last year they got a border collie puppy..I was very surprised at the their choice of dog..number one felt getting a puppy was a bit daft but mostly their choice of breed..given that the man was ill then ,they are getting on and I know Border collies are highly intelligent..need lots of stimulation,long walks etc..even agility training or a job to do..but that is their choice..the fence at the back of their house joined onto my brother was a small netted fence with a conifer hedge that didn't keep the dog in..so last year the man next door said to my brother I am going to have to put a new fence up to keep the dog in..my brother said fine..the man had a new fence put up and that's was that..5 months later he handed my brother a bill for half of the fence including labour!!! my brother said Im not being rude but I wasn't bothered about a new fence..you had to put one because of the dog to keep him in..that is nothing to do with me...and the man has been funny with my brother ever since,.
Yesterday I was leaving my brothers house..I walked past the neighbours house and in the driveway was the woman holding the dog by its lead really tight to the floor and the man with his fist up in the air..he was shouting at the dog..it all happened quick but I saw him punch the dog bringing his hand up high and pounding it on the dogs neck..it made a loud noise as it made contact..I waswalking and couldn't help but stare and my face must have said it all..I was disgusted and upset..they saw me..I carried on walking and just went through my door and felt sick...I don't know what to so..I know what I want to say to him..fing bully..but this is an old man who is ill..but like I say has not hit that ill.ill stage yet..
The dog is walked to end of the road and back..we are talking past 8 houses!!! no wonder the dog is bored and boisterous..surely heis not correcting the dog by beating it like this..just feel like the complaint is blurred with the issue with my brother and fence..aolthough I have nothing to do with that..just don't know what to do..do I confront him,report him or leave an old man who probably isn't going to see the year through..when he does get ill he will deteriote rapidly xx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    If confront him, if not then report him, regardless of any issues your brothers had with him, you don't hit dogs.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Definitely report it to the RSPCA.

Being ill is no excuse for doing that to a dog.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I do actually agree with both of you..and know that is what I should do..I am a farmers daughter and have grown up with a farmers mentality of animals..love them ,care for them..most have jobs to do..etc..I have witnessed keeping all kinds of animals on farms but never seen anyone beat their dog like this before..it is still in my head now..I know he will deny what he was doing..but I will look him in the eye and tell him I am not stupid and know what I saw..Im not intimidated by him..even though he is old school and one of those older men who talk to the man and over the woman!!!..coward and a bully I would say ..thanks for your responses..will let you know when I have seen him x
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Report it. No excuse for holding a dog down and punching it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    I do actually agree with both of you..and know that is what I should do..I am a farmers daughter and have grown up with a farmers mentality of animals..love them ,care for them..most have jobs to do..etc..I have witnessed keeping all kinds of animals on farms but never seen anyone beat their dog like this before..it is still in my head now..I know he will deny what he was doing..but I will look him in the eye and tell him I am not stupid and know what I saw..Im not intimidated by him..even though he is old school and one of those older men who talk to the man and over the woman!!!..coward and a bully I would say ..thanks for your responses..will let you know when I have seen him x

Glad we helped you decide. Personally I'd speak to them first, even if it's just to let them know you've seen them, it might make them think twice. But then I'd report them too, maybe a follow up RSPCA visit will help.

Don't suppose you know where they got the dog from? Presume it's not a rescue? Sometimes the rescue will go out following a call to complain, we do.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Report them, if they are hitting the dog then it needs to be looked into
    Cruel git,.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I saw the lady out today..but not him..in fact his car was gone all day ..she is not the one I want to confront..I did speak to the neighbour on the other side of my brother about it today..they often take the dog out with theirs..I felt a bit funny telling tales but wanted to know if they had ever seen anything..they did say a comment he made when he first got the dog..they asked him if he was going to training classes with him and the man said no..I have had dogs before I know what to do..and failing that there is always the stick..!!! they had taken it as a jokey comment and not meant..now they are doubting he was joking..so I feel at least I have another pair of eyes watching him..and I will confront him over this..like you say hopefully a warning that he has been seen may be enough..I am holding back on reporting..but I will be looking for further evidence..if I saw anthing that made me feel uncomfortable I will not hesitateto report and I know the other neighbours feel the same