CDs you never see in charity shops

LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
A companion thread to the CDs you are always guaranteed to see in charity shops thread ....

Whose CDs have you never found in a charity shop? To start it off, I've never seen anything by Bruce Springsteen.

Comments

• Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never seen any Aretha Franklin
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Siobhan Doughty's Ghosts. I've lost the CD and have been looking for ages for it to pop up in a local charity shop. Not seen one yet. :p

Never seen a Girls Aloud CD or a Duran Duran one locally (I was looking for both)
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Siobhan Doughty's Ghosts. I've lost the CD and have been looking for ages for it to pop up in a local charity shop. Not seen one yet. :p

Never seen a Girls Aloud CD or a Duran Duran one locally (I was looking for both)

Really? I've seen their second album quite a few times.
  • aclevernameaclevername Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NIck Cave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead or Alive.
    Boy George.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    'Now That's What I Call Music' before Volume 29.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always see Kate Bush Vinyl but never any Cd's not even The Red Shoes.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I've seen their second album quite a few times.

Maybe no one in my home town bought it originally and that's why it hasn't shown up in a charity shop :p:p;)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »

Same

I've never seen any other legendary artists like Billie Holiday and all that.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cds by every artist i like.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    DEVO lol
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembering that I volunteer in one of my local shops and look after cd's/dvd's, in order............
    Whose CDs have you never found in a charity shop? To start it off, I've never seen anything by Bruce Springsteen.

Not a bad one to start actually, think the only ones I can remember coming in are Born To Run and The Essential Bruce, both once each, pretty sure I've never had the others. Our records man has the odd copy of the Live 75-85 vinyl box come in and a few weeks ago the cassette version came in, as a rule we don't generally put music cassettes out for sale anymore, only talking books, but I decided to put it out and sold it for £3.
    Barney06 wrote: »

The odd one of hers does come in occasionally
    PJ1893 wrote: »

NIck Cave
    Dead or Alive.
    Boy George.

Girls Aloud stuff is coming in regularly now but you're right, not seen any of these others in my shop.
    'Now That's What I Call Music' before Volume 29.

Again you're right here, the later ones come in more often but we did have a copy of Vol 4 which we sent to Ebay.......
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I always see Kate Bush Vinyl but never any Cd's not even The Red Shoes.

Yep, can't recall any KB coming in

I've never seen any other legendary artists like Billie Holiday and all that.

As with Aretha, Billie Holiday cds will come in occasionally.
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    DEVO lol

Yep, never seen any Devo come in that I can recall.

Heavy metal and hard rock doesn't seem to come in much either, had one copy of Metallica's black album and one of Iron Maiden Dance Of Death but bands like Rush, Judas Priest, Rainbow, etc, very rare to see their stuff coming in. Have had one Gary Moore and one Deep Purple recently.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's all interesting, Phil. Do you make any effort to sort them for display? I find most shops just display CDs unsorted and I'm sure sales must suffer as a result. If I'm looking for a particular artist or album, I want to see straight away if it's there. I'll then probably have a quick glance through the rest, but if the CDs are just piled in a random manner, it's too daunting or time-consuming to look through them all and I won't bother.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The Saturdays
    Britney Spears' later albums
    Lady Gaga
    Roisin Murphy
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A companion thread to the CDs you are always guaranteed to see in charity shops thread ....

I used to work in a charity shop, and one day we had some donations of some really cool stuff like Bob Dylan and Springsteen and among them was Springsteen's Magic album which had only been out for a few weeks, I couldn't believe it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few I don't seem to notice being sold in any charity shops:

Madonna - American Life, Erotica and Bedtime Stories.
    Britney Spears - Blackout.
    Christina Aguilera - Bionic and Lotus.
    Mariah Carey - Glitter, Rainbow and Charmbracelet.
    Kylie Minogue - Impossible Princess.
    Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape.

This is based on my experiences though, which may be a bit different since I don't live in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays
    Lady Gaga
    Roisin Murphy

That's because they're in the bin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a charity shop? Like a thrift shop?
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see Manowar albums quite often.

Picked up Kings of Metal in one a while ago
    It was not very good
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    The Saturdays
    Lady Gaga
    Roisin Murphy

See i don't see Britney's older albums. I've seen FF & Circus.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're always out of Cradle of Filth whenever I go in.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    What's a charity shop? Like a thrift shop?

A charity shop is a shop selling donated unwanted goods, the proceeds from which go to a specific charity. eg Oxfam, Save The Children, Cancer Research or a local hospice.

I'm not familiar with the term 'thrift shop', is that the same sort of thing?
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy Spanier, Lee Wiley, or Bunny Berigan.

Be nice if I did find some of their CDs in a charity shop, mind, especially Lee's stuff.:)
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's all interesting, Phil. Do you make any effort to sort them for display? I find most shops just display CDs unsorted and I'm sure sales must suffer as a result. If I'm looking for a particular artist or album, I want to see straight away if it's there. I'll then probably have a quick glance through the rest, but if the CDs are just piled in a random manner, it's too daunting or time-consuming to look through them all and I won't bother.

I know what you mean, I look in some of the other shops and just see a line of cds on a shelf in no particular order. The branch I work in is one of the larger stores so we have a big gondola display. One side is pop cd's and the other is subdivided into Compilations, Nostalgia, World And Easy, Soundtracks, Childrens Audio, Religion and Classical & Opera. Half the fun is deciding which category to put a particulat cd under, most of the time it's fairly straightforward but sometimes it's a judement call as to whether to put something under nostalgia or world and easy when, in fairness, it would sit equally well in either section. One regular customer remarked that he was surprised to find a Trivium album under pop! When I asked which category he'd have me put it under he said none of them as he was buying it. We get occasional big batches of cds by the same artist in, had a hugh pile of Hanson stuff come in once and Ive currently got about 80% of REM's back catalogue sitting in the stockroom waiting to be priced and put out.

One problem of course is that of theft, the majority of the time the boxes are put out with the discs in them since, given the number of cd's we have on display at any one time, we have neither the time nor the storage space to have them in numbered sleeves at the counter, plus it would take too long to find each individual disc if a customer was buying a fair number of them, and we'd probably end up with loads of discs with lost boxes through customers stealing the empty box (more on that in a mo). Having said that, I will mark anything rarer or unusual as a box set and have the discs at the counter and I've recently started adding multi-disc boxes (three or more) to that section as well. We've had several occasions where someone has come to the till with a three or four-disc box that should be £2.99 or £3.49, etc, with a 99p label on it that they've taken off of a single album, and sometimes I'll go to tidy up the display and find an empty box left behind where the disc has been stolen or otherwise gone missing-today I found an empty box for a Des O'Connor cd, someone must have been really desperate to nick that rather than pay 99p for it :D Plus I'll get the occasional special edition version of a cd+dvd where a customer has nicked the dvd disc.
    As to theft of empty boxes that I mentioned, with dvd's we do have the discs in paper sleeves at the counter but we still end up with discs that have lost the box, if we did the same for cd's the problem would probably be worse as people would just nick the empty box to put their home-burnt copy in.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I look in some of the other shops and just see a line of cds on a shelf in no particular order. The branch I work in is one of the larger stores so we have a big gondola display. One side is pop cd's and the other is subdivided into Compilations, Nostalgia, World And Easy, Soundtracks, Childrens Audio, Religion and Classical & Opera. Half the fun is deciding which category to put a particulat cd under, most of the time it's fairly straightforward but sometimes it's a judement call as to whether to put something under nostalgia or world and easy when, in fairness, it would sit equally well in either section. One regular customer remarked that he was surprised to find a Trivium album under pop! When I asked which category he'd have me put it under he said none of them as he was buying it. We get occasional big batches of cds by the same artist in, had a hugh pile of Hanson stuff come in once and Ive currently got about 80% of REM's back catalogue sitting in the stockroom waiting to be priced and put out.

One problem of course is that of theft, the majority of the time the boxes are put out with the discs in them since, given the number of cd's we have on display at any one time, we have neither the time nor the storage space to have them in numbered sleeves at the counter, plus it would take too long to find each individual disc if a customer was buying a fair number of them, and we'd probably end up with loads of discs with lost boxes through customers stealing the empty box (more on that in a mo). Having said that, I will mark anything rarer or unusual as a box set and have the discs at the counter and I've recently started adding multi-disc boxes (three or more) to that section as well. We've had several occasions where someone has come to the till with a three or four-disc box that should be £2.99 or £3.49, etc, with a 99p label on it that they've taken off of a single album, and sometimes I'll go to tidy up the display and find an empty box left behind where the disc has been stolen or otherwise gone missing-today I found an empty box for a Des O'Connor cd, someone must have been really desperate to nick that rather than pay 99p for it :D Plus I'll get the occasional special edition version of a cd+dvd where a customer has nicked the dvd disc.
    As to theft of empty boxes that I mentioned, with dvd's we do have the discs in paper sleeves at the counter but we still end up with discs that have lost the box, if we did the same for cd's the problem would probably be worse as people would just nick the empty box to put their home-burnt copy in.

Thanks for that Phil , Do you see much early stuff from Motown , Stevie Wonder , Four Tops , Jackson 5 , The Supremes , Temptations etc ?