Apple hacked - iOS Beta 4 might not appear today

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I also have 5 solid network spots - which never happens at my house. I wonder if it's a bug?

Not sure if this is new to beta 4 but on the messages app if you swipe to the left you can see the timestamps for each individual message.

Perhaps Apple have fudged the numbers again - my phone likes to display 5 spots rather more often than before. In fact looking at now it has gone 5-4-3-5 spots, without the phone or anything moving.

Field Test reports -105dBm and 5 spots. That seems like quite a low signal strength to report that.

It's hard to say for me as I'm pretty sure EE have actually improved coverage where I am recently.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Remember it also has a different carrier update which should make mast selection more sensible.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember it also has a different carrier update which should make mast selection more sensible.

I suppose that would make sense. I'm certainly chuffed though. I've always struggled for 3G reception where I live.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    ....my phone likes to display 5 spots rather more often than before.....

I have long been wondering if the upcoming plastic iPhone might receive better. A conspiracy theory would create a need for the return of those 'bigger bars'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I have long been wondering if the upcoming plastic iPhone might receive better. A conspiracy theory would create a need for the return of those 'bigger bars'.

Well, you're the master of conspiracy theories so I'm sure you'll be able to come up with one!
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's one thing that can ever explain anything about Apple its a good conspiracy theory!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you're the master of conspiracy theories so I'm sure you'll be able to come up with one!
    I just did.

The other sane reason is that it is just an OS beta bug.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Since the OS updates are specific to each phone I can't see why they would need to change that for all models. If it was necessary they would simply have to change it for the new phone.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since they made the home screen font slightly bigger - my carrier name doesn't fit in the space properly anymore and it overlaps on the network dots and the 3G indicator.
    http://i.imgur.com/odeWEng.png

Whilst it's not major in the grand scheme of things I hope it is rectified soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since they made the home screen font slightly bigger - my carrier name doesn't fit in the space properly anymore and it overlaps on the network dots and the 3G indicator.

Whilst it's not major in the grand scheme of things I hope it is rectified soon.

Ugh, that looks awful.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, that looks awful.

I know. They must've realised before the release. Unless they didn't test the release with an 11 character operator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was necessary they would simply have to change it for the new phone.
    If -105db is to be 5 dots, then the cheap plastic iPhone would less often have more dots.

Yes,it is too much a conspiracy theory.I'm sure they will move your -105gb dots back to how they were.
    They might have just accidentally used the old algorithm that gave the 'bigger bars'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone's battery running hot with B4?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Eek!

Those dots are horrific!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

iPhone 4S and nope.

It has been the best beta yet, although some of my apps are still a bit iffy. Spotify crashes frequently and iSSH doesn't work properly with a bluetooth keyboard.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that I've noticed on my iPhone 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It appears to have sorted itself out.

It now appears as "vodafon..." with no overlapping of the 3G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Eek!

Those dots are horrific!

They are ok.

However, I would be lying if I said I preferred them over the network bars.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    No battery issues here (4S).. roughly lasting the same time as my iPhone 5 (using 4G) on iOS6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Not that I've noticed on my iPhone 5.
    iPhone 4S and nope

Cheers. Probably just me, but it's just felt a bit hot sometimes over the past few days. I do seem to primarily use it as a music player as well with a bit of surfing if i'm on the bus, so maybe that and the weather ?

Who knows - runs like a charm otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hhmmmm .. phone seems to be getting stuck in sync since i've upgraded to Windows 8. Re-authorised the phone and 'trusted' it as well but it's currently "waiting for changes to be applied" .. still ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It appears to have sorted itself out.

It now appears as "vodafon..." with no overlapping of the 3G.

In response to these posts - in Beta 5 the carrier name now scrolls from right to left and left to right without any overlap.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to these posts - in Beta 5 the carrier name now scrolls from right to left and left to right without any overlap.

That in itself could annoy me, things that scroll distract the eye. I think the dots make the OS look even more silly. "How many dots do you have, I have 3"

You know when toy makers mock up phones for kids to play with but they've always badly mocked up the interface using all the wrong colours and a cheaper look? That's IOS7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    That in itself could annoy me, things that scroll distract the eye.

It scrolls now, in iOS 6, if the network ID is too long. It just scrolls once and then displays part of the network name with an ellipsis after it. Not sure if this is how it works in iOS 7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

As for the rest of your post, I have to confess that I do worry about some of the design choices and how they affect usability. On the screenshots I've seen from the Messages app, the keyboard takes up more than half the screen of an iPhone 4S, and the text bubbles are so big that you can only see about four lines of text.