Tomb Raider HD Collection

The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
Forum Member
✭✭
Just picked up the HD collection to play through before the new game comes down in price.

Is there any order in which I should play them?

Which game is the better?

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember rightly the order of play for this trilogy is Anniversary > Legend > Underworld.

As for the which is better in my opinion its

Anniversary > Underworld > Legend.

Legend has way too much shooting, Anniversary is very puzzle based and Underworld probably has the best balance between puzzles and action. I enjoyed both Anniversary (Maybe helped by a bit of nostalgia as its a remake of TR1) and Underworld but found Legend to be a bit of a chore.
  • rehmanmohamedrehmanmohamed Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just picked up the HD collection to play through before the new game comes down in price.

Is there any order in which I should play them?

Which game is the better?

new game is available for download on PSN for £20 just now as a special Easter offer. I think it expires tomorrow
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    new game is available for download on PSN for £20 just now as a special Easter offer. I think it expires tomorrow

Thanks for that, but I was waiting to get it on Xbox.

Is anniversary exactly the same as TR1 just with better graphics or have they changed the levels?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, but I was waiting to get it on Xbox.

Is anniversary exactly the same as TR1 just with better graphics or have they changed the levels?

It's generally the same game but some things have been switched up so if you are very familiar with the game it will still offer a challenge but if you want nostalgia it will still give you that too.

As for the topic I think Anniversary is a great game, Underworld for me is the best in the series, quite stunning in all areas, beautiful to look at, huge areas to explore, really clever puzzles and fun combat, it takes the TR formula to it's very heights. Legends is ok but it focuses on action over exploration and the combat isn't too hot so it's the weakest in the collection.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I picked this up for £10 about 6 months ago but never got too far into it. Shame, I do enjoy them.
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this as a present a while back, it's still in its wrapper. Legend is fun for what it is (but a terrible TR game), Anni is better, but still weaker than the game it's was honouring (and still a terrible TR game) and Underworld is basically unplayable. I really didn't want to replay them again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctorb wrote: »
    Underworld is basically unplayable.

If you have played and compare it to something like Uncharted than Underworld is seriously clunky and has some horrible controls, but if you can get past that there is a reasonable game underneath. Its the best of the recent Tomb Raider games before the reboot.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    If you have played and compare it to something like Uncharted than Underworld is seriously clunky and has some horrible controls, but if you can get past that there is a reasonable game underneath. Its the best of the recent Tomb Raider games before the reboot.

I would even say that's unfair, Underworld controls apart from the occasional camera angle were just fine, not as fluid as Uncharted but nothing that should cause anyone problems.
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Playing U3 now, played Underworld before and gave up on it. Just terrible controls. Personally, I really don't count those 3 games as TR games, they're too different from the originals.
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, just finished all 3 games and I really enjoyed them. I think the most enjoyable one for me was legend, just because there seemed to be a bit more variety in the gameplay.

I liked the way the stories were linked together too, I didnt realise there was a timeline involved in the Tomb Raider games.
    Forum Member

Personal preference and all but I honestly think Underworld is a better game than Uncharted 3. I had no issues at all with the controls, very fluid with some incredible graphics/animation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personal preference and all but I honestly think Underworld is a better game than Uncharted 3. I had no issues at all with the controls, very fluid with some incredible graphics/animation.

I really enjoyed Underworld and I do think Uncharted 3 is the weakest of the trilogy but surely your joking that Underworld is the better game of the two :eek:
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed Underworld and I do think Uncharted 3 is the weakest of the trilogy but surely your joking that Underworld is the better game of the two :eek:

Well they are quite different games.. Uncharted is cool, I especially enjoyed UC2 but it's a straight up switch-your-brain-off action game compared to TR Underworld. I think Underworld is in a class of it's own tbh and a better game than the latest TR too.

I personally found the original Uncharted Drake's Fortune to be the weakest of the trilogy.