ITV Hub player availability in ITV Border area

28.228.2 Posts: 8
Forum Member
Hi,

This is a Freesat problem, but I'm looking for assistance from any Sky users.

I live on the Scottish side of the ITV Border region (I should stress I am NOT in an STV postcode area, nor am I in what could be described as an ambiguous area).

On my Freesat Humax Foxsat HD, channel 903 is allocated to the ITV Hub Player, which is great. This lets me watch the ITV Hub player on-demand service.

I also have a Humax Freesat HDR-1100S, using the same (my own) postcode, starting DG, as with the Foxsat, there is no service allocated to channel 903. This means that on the HDR-1100S, I am not able to watch the ITV Hub player.

I've been in contact with ITV and Humax and Freesat and it's surprising how none of the parties seem to understand what's going on, or seem to want to communicate about it.

I really do think this must be a mistake somewhere with ITV's postcode database they're using these 2nd generation boxes (if that's how it works). At first they told me that because I was in Scotland, I shouldn't be able to receive the ITV Hub player as I should be watching STV. I'm in the ITV Border area, which their support people couldn't seem to grasp - strangely. Now they've figured that out, they're telling me they've whitelisted my postcode, however it still doesn't work, and I've realised that it's because I don't have the ITV Hub service allocated to channel 903.

I should've said before, it works perfectly well if I use an English postcode, which is still associated with the ITV Border region.

I'm just wondering if this is solely a Freesat issue. Someone in another forum has suggested finding out whether the ITV Hub player works on Sky receivers which are set to have a DG or TD postcode - in the Scottish Borders or Dumfries & Galloway. Could anyone on here let me know, or set their receiver to a TD or DG postcode as an experiment and let me know the result? I don't know if the Sky receivers work in the same way, but if you are able to receive the ITV Hub service in that area, then clearly if you are able to get it on Sky in this way, then that adds more credence to the idea that this in an error with ITV's postcode database.

It seems completely bizarre that ITV would be using a different database of postcodes for the 2nd Generation Freesat boxes, and that for some reason they would apply the ITV Hub channel 903 allocation to boxes located in every part of the UK they broadcast to, except those with postcodes starting DG and TD. It really does seem to me like a mistake. I don't think it's anything to do with broadcast rights to broadcast programming in Scotland for example. Particularly because the same service is available on the 1st Generation Freesat box (Foxsat HD), and that it's available on my smart TV, which although unaware of my postcode, will be aware of which ITV region I'm watching.

I should stress that this issue has nothing to do with IP addresses or ISPs. All of the evidence suggests that this is solely down to the postcode used when the Freesat receiver is set up.

Hopefully someone here can help as I'd like to contact ITV again, but I want to investigate a bit more first.

Thanks!