Options

On Demand, can't play back until 100% downloaded

kylie_madonnakylie_madonna Posts: 405
Forum Member
Anyone ever had this issue I've never had it before where since last night everything I try and download on catch up and on demand won't let me playback the download till 100% downloaded the program. Usually I'm able to view a download after like 2% complete. What's going wrong? I've checked network and signal strength and they all seem fine.

Comments

• Options
    Vertigo1Vertigo1 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Yep I had the same. Reboot of main box will fix it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vertigo1 wrote: »
    Yep I had the same. Reboot of main box will fix it

Will do that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tried reboot still issues
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Working now so odd
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I noticed it did this when the connection was too slow, so that you couldn't play it faster than it could download which the Sky box responded to by not making it AVAILABLE until nearly 100% had been completed!
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had this before. My connection is fine, it's with an ISP that isn't Sky but is much better regarded.

No other service like iPlayer, Amazon, Netflix or YouTube had problems.

But my Sky box insisted on downloading the full programme before I could use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I have had this before. My connection is fine, it's with an ISP that isn't Sky but is much better regarded.

No other service like iPlayer, Amazon, Netflix or YouTube had problems.

But my Sky box insisted on downloading the full programme before I could use it.

It happened again and is still happening again today I'm hoping the problem goes away and fixes itself again I've even unplugged and restarted the sky again its so very odd as the internet connection is perfect it says as like you internet everywhere else is ok too.

What's best do you suggest I call sky, or is it not them but my internet I dunno what too do?
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's best do you suggest I call sky, or is it not them but my internet I dunno what too do?

Is it under warranty? If so, get Sky to fix it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just come across this website http://www.speedtest.net/ and I'm not really tech minded but it says my download speed is 2.21 mph. Is this very slow for downloading from catch up and demand for people who are a bit more knowledgeable then me on internet speed etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just come across this website http://www.speedtest.net/ and I'm not really tech minded but it says my download speed is 2.21 mph. Is this very slow for downloading from catch up and demand for people who are a bit more knowledgeable then me on internet speed etc?

I very much doubt that it's 2.21 miles per hour. If it's 2.21 Megabits per second (Mbps) then that's a tad too slow for real-time streaming. I think the minimum usable download speed would be 3 Mbps and probably a little more to avoid the dreaded "buffering". More still if it's HD.

And you didn't answer my question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I very much doubt that it's 2.21 miles per hour. If it's 2.21 Megabits per second (Mbps) then that's a tad too slow for real-time streaming. I think the minimum usable download speed would be 3 Mbps and probably a little more to avoid the dreaded "buffering". More still if it's HD.

And you didn't answer my question.

Think it is under warranty I'm trying to check. What's the best way too improve this internet speed for on demand its so annoying? How can it work so well fine up to the last week or so but not now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure that your router is as close to the incoming phone line socket (master socket) as possible so the cable run is short. If it's a long run, make sure the connecting cable is "twisted pair" not flat. Make sure you are using a good type of ADSL splitter. Disconnect any phones to see if that helps. Once you are certain that your setup is as good as it can be, you can phone your provider and ask for a line check. If there's an external fault, they should fix it. If they say the fault is inside your property, don't let them come because it will be expensive.

Of course you might simply be too far from the exchange to get a decent speed. Check with neighbours to see what speed they get.

Apart from that, it would be better to discuss ADSL in the "Broadband Internet" section. You might get better advice there.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think it is under warranty I'm trying to check. What's the best way too improve this internet speed for on demand its so annoying? How can it work so well fine up to the last week or so but not now?

A min download speed of at lest 3mb is always recommended for streaming anything in HD.
    70% of what I watch is in HD and I also use Netflix at lest 2 or 3 times a week and a lot of that is in HD.
    I'm on BT Infinity and 98% of the time I get download speeds of at lest 68.5mb.
    Do you have fibre or ADSL.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I already pointed out, download speed is measured in Mbps (Megabits per second.) It only causes confusion if you use other units.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go here and see what sort of speeds BT think you should get:

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Put in your phone number, or use the address checker below it.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    A min download speed of at lest 3mb is always recommended for streaming anything in HD.

3mbps would be pretty crappy for HD, and not even very good for SD - Netflix would work fine though, as they lower quality until it works.

In the case of Sky though, as in this thread, you need considerably more bandwidth, as the downloaded content is the same quality as they broadcast it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    70% of what I watch is in HD and I also use Netflix at lest 2 or 3 times a week and a lot of that is in HD.
    I'm on BT Infinity and 98% of the time I get download speeds of at lest 68.5mb.
    Do you have fibre or ADSL.

Darren

We on virgin media fibre optic. One reason why we may have been having problems could be due to the fact I've missed an email to increase our Internet speed which virgin media are offering. It may have slowed down due to me missing this from virgin media as it worked fine before. My order with virgin media has gone through and they say they will get back to us this week for increased speed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well virgin media got back internet and sky on demand and catch up downloads working like a dream. Lets hope it stays that way :)
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See if it slows down at peak times (approx. 7pm-11pm) if so you may be in an area where Virgin Media suffers from congestion problems.

It could be that your Virgin hub just needed a reboot, and accepting the speed upgrade will have triggered that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See if it slows down at peak times (approx. 7pm-11pm) if so you may be in an area where Virgin Media suffers from congestion problems.

It could be that your Virgin hub just needed a reboot, and accepting the speed upgrade will have triggered that.

Yeah will check it after 7 to check the congestion you say. Yes I'm thinking that too! That accepting the upgrade helped. As soon as upgrade happened it sped up right away
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is a tiny bit slower in peak time :(
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a tiny bit slower in peak time :(

If it's only a bit slower, that's fine. You aren't guaranteed to get the speed you pay for and if it's roughly up there it's fine.

Some people "pay for" 100Mbit but only get like 5Mbit at peak times, which is totally unacceptable