Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    They got the final name correct which is all that matters.
    Apparently not after last week. You can make up your own sequence now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they weren't the first, certainly not in the case of Hirst and Hitzlsperger, Ian Roberts in the NRL came out years previously, and I would have thought Justin Fashanu would have been the first in football.

Not while he was still playing.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    In the "Mels" question last night did anybody else think, when just Carl Reiner and Griff Rhys Jones came up, of the old Holsten Pils movie spoof TV commercials (Carl Reiner having directed the film Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid which they were based on, and GRJ obviously having featured in them)?

I assume this was simply a coincidence as opposed to a deliberate trip-up, since I guess they wouldn't use a brand name so overtly, plus it's more the wall rounds that have red herrings. It amused me, anyway :)
  • Options
    Clem FandangoClem Fandango Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    Not while he was still playing.

Hitzlsperger had also retired before he came out as gay
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    In the "Mels" question last night did anybody else think, when just Carl Reiner and Griff Rhys Jones came up, of the old Holsten Pils movie spoof TV commercials (Carl Reiner having directed the film Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid which they were based on, and GRJ obviously having featured in them)?

I assume this was simply a coincidence as opposed to a deliberate trip-up, since I guess they wouldn't use a brand name so overtly, plus it's more the wall rounds that have red herrings. It amused me, anyway :)
    Well that's you shot - it's "on which they were based":D.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »

I wasn't a contestant.
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    So, I really, like, can't stand people who, like, use so, to start any, like sentence, you know!:)

My other gripe, in case you hadn't noticed, is the ridiculous over use of the word "like" where what they are talking about isn't like anything!! Why are English speakers so scared of a fraction of a second silence while they collect their thoughts, instead of filling it with pointless sounds, such as like or so, or you know.

There's a much more annoying habit that has crept into the media (mostly newspapers, but increasingly telly) and it is people referring to the people of Britain as "us Brits".

It's not just annoying, it's wrong. Try it with something other than 'Brits' and it reveals itself as ungrammatical nonsense: 'Us Scots', 'Us Germans', Us dog-lovers' etc.

It's "WE BRITS"...and even then who the hell says 'Brits' apart from bloody Americans?
  • Options
    SpasmSpasm Posts: 142
    Forum Member

It's "WE BRITS"...and even then who the hell says 'Brits' apart from bloody Americans?

The Republicans in Northern Ireland during the " Troubles ", it's where I first heard the term.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't a contestant.

I think Janet was referring to the clip in post #4247 :)
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spasm wrote: »
    Got the WW1 name changing thing after Alsatian came up.

I wonder if that's when Rubella became the preferred name rather than German Measles.

No. Rubella is the "new" name. If you go back to the 1960s, nobody had Rubella, it was very much German measles. Possibly because it's a "bad" thing, so the German context would have been apt?
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    No. Rubella is the "new" name. If you go back to the 1960s, nobody had Rubella, it was very much German measles. Possibly because it's a "bad" thing, so the German context would have been apt?

Makes me wonder why they renamed Sauerkraut then ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me wonder why they renamed Sauerkraut then ;-)

I didn't know they had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't know they had.

Did you even watch the program in question?
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, that's all well and good but can you describe the South Sea Bubble and it's effects on investment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you even watch the program in question?

Sauerkraut?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

New?

OED
    1866 H. Veale in Edinb. Med. Jrnl. (1867) 12 i. 414, I therefore venture to propose Rubella as a substitute for Rötheln, or, at any rate, as a name for the disease which it has been my object in this paper to describe.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Spasm wrote: »
    Got the WW1 name changing thing after Alsatian came up.

I wonder if that's when Rubella became the preferred name rather than German Measles.

I might have got that one if they'd included Empire Biscuits (= German Biscuits).
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Yes, that's all well and good but can you describe the South Sea Bubble and it's effects on investment?
    Oh dear, another shooting offence!
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Corruption of "germane". Like measles in other words.
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was Gordon Jackson :)

That was mine too!
  • Options
    gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »

Outstanding Not the Nine O'Clock News reference.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    gopher_uk1 wrote: »

I just noticed that! :D
  • Options
    MarrooMarroo Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Odd name for a goldfish , wasn't it ? :D
  • Options
    SpasmSpasm Posts: 142
    Forum Member

For those who don't have memories, explain ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sauerkraut?

Correct.