Problems retuning A Humax

DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had pixelation and freezing problems with my Humax HDR-FOX T2 after doing an Autotune on 10th April. So, after first doing a Factory Reset, I did a manual retune and, when it had finished, I deleted, one by one, each of the channels, like Gay Rabbit, QVC and Sky Sports etc., that I don't need. I thought the retune had been successful because all the channels I wanted were all obtainable via my remote control. but......

When I switched on this morning, I got an onscreen warning that I would need to do a retune if I wanted all the channels available on Freeview then, without warning, the Humax went into Autotune mode and I was given two options, either continue with the autotune or leave the retune and lose all those stations I had already manually saved. I managed to get out of the retune by switching OFF (it seems the only way available) then ON again, an info box said there were no stations saved.

This particular Humax has two built in Freeview tuners. Could it be that each tuner needs to be retuned (in other words, do a manual retune twice, one for each Humax tuner), or does ONE retune procedure install the channels into BOTH tuners.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    I had pixelation and freezing problems with my Humax HDR-FOX T2 after doing an Autotune on 10th April. So, after first doing a Factory Reset, I did a manual retune and, when it had finished, I deleted, one by one, each of the channels, like Gay Rabbit, QVC and Sky Sports etc., that I don't need. I thought the retune had been successful because all the channels I wanted were all obtainable via my remote control. but......

When I switched on this morning, I got an onscreen warning that I would need to do a retune if I wanted all the channels available on Freeview then, without warning, the Humax went into Autotune mode and I was given two options, either continue with the autotune or leave the retune and lose all those stations I had already manually saved. I managed to get out of the retune by switching OFF (it seems the only way available) then ON again, an info box said there were no stations saved.

This particular Humax has two built in Freeview tuners. Could it be that each tuner needs to be retuned (in other words, do a manual retune twice, one for each Humax tuner), or does ONE retune procedure install the channels into BOTH tuners.

No, tuning is a single affair.

Your problem was because you didn't let it auto-tune, best to let it do that - then manually tune afterwards if you really want to.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pixelation and freezing problems will be more to do with the quality of the RF signals you are receiving.
  • DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, tuning is a single affair.

Your problem was because you didn't let it auto-tune, best to let it do that - then manually tune afterwards if you really want to.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. If Autotune is compulsory, why have Manual Tune as an alternative option. Also, if I have installed all the channels by Autotune, why would I manually install them as well, they would already be installed. I would have thought Manual tuning was to allow one to install only the channels wanted and to not install those that were not wanted.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand. If Autotune is compulsory, why have Manual Tune as an alternative option. Also, if I have installed all the channels by Autotune, why would I manually install them as well, they would already be installed. I would have thought Manual tuning was to allow one to install only the channels wanted and to not install those that were not wanted.
    Manual tune is where you tell the box what UHF channels to scan for the digital multiplexes. Auto Tune just lets the box do it by itself. In many case the two operations achieve identical results.

This is an entirely separate operation from pruning those channels you do not wish to view. A manual tune cannot give you ITV1 and omit Channel 4 (should you want that) as both are on the same multiplex and both will be selected regardless of how you tune the box. Unless you omit an entire multiplex and all the channels on it of course.

A manual tune is most useful if you live in an area where you receive more than one transmitter. An Auto tune may select the "wrong" transmitter's signals and place them on the normal channel numbers while the "correct" transmitter's services get relegated to channel numbers up in the 800's. In that instance doing a manual tune can force the box to select only the "correct" transmitter's signals and ignore the "wrong" transmitter.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I find it best to use favourites and sort them in the order I want rather than delete useless channels from the main EPG.
    Auto Tune.....Choose favourites....Set favourites as the EPG.....Enjoy...Much less hassle and you have power over the order of the channels...
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member

Manual tuning is to allow you to tune to the transmitter you want, and not the one the receiver decides on.

If the receiver is instructed that it needs a retune then it most likely has to do an Autotune in order to cancel that instruction.