Options

Sky Sports Mix - any update?

Comments

• Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dopple wrote: »
    Does anyone know if SSM listings are in the new TV mags today?

Yes, all of them.
  • Options
    Glob_blobGlob_blob Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I thought sky sports mix was only going to be on sky and not virgin media
  • Options
    Rich1977Rich1977 Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glob_blob wrote: »
    I thought sky sports mix was only going to be on sky and not virgin media

As a Virgin customer I have to say I'm (presently) surprised by the news considering we still don't have Sky Atlantic. I imagine the main aim of the channel is promotional so to encourage people to take up the full Sky sports package.

I would also guess that they won't let BT have it for youview.
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a teaser channel to get people to subscribe to the full Sports pack, they would want it on as many platforms as possible. The VM placeholder is on the same transponder as some BBC Olympic HD channels, so I guess the full tests will start on VM after the Olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lincsat wrote: »
    It's a teaser channel to get people to subscribe to the full Sports pack, they would want it on as many platforms as possible. The VM placeholder is on the same transponder as some BBC Olympic HD channels, so I guess the full tests will start on VM after the Olympics.

Any platform apart from Freeview and BT I would guess.

While it will still not encourage me to pay out a penny to Murdoch and Co I will appreciate any extra content that tops up to the sport I already enjoy as a Virgin Media XL subscriber.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kriZbii wrote: »
    Yes, all of them.

Not in tv choice they aren't.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another week of Sky Sports Mix schedules are out.

(NB. See posts 15 and 39 for the first 10 days)

Live sport is as follows:

Sat 3 Sep:
    12pm – Live F1 Italian GP Qualifying
    12am – Live MLS – Vancouver v New York

Sun 4 Sep:
    11.30am – Live F1 Italian GP – Build-up only – Race NOT SHOWN
    2.30pm – Live GAA – Hurling Final
    8pm – Live LPGA Tour Golf – Manulife Final Round

Mon 5 Sep:
    7.30pm – Live World Cup Qualifier – Serbia v Republic of Ireland

Wed 7 Sep:
    7.30pm – Live Elite League Speedway (Teams TBA)

Thur 8 Sep:
    7.30pm – Live Super League (Teams TBA)
    1am – Live NFL – Carolina @ Denver

Fri 9 Sep:
    7pm – Live EFL – Reading v Ipswich

So I think we’re starting to see a familiar pattern – weekends having a decent amount of content and then something on most, though not all weekdays.

Wide variety of content with not much being shown more than once – and events generally only being shown a second time after gaps.

Two live EFL games, but no live PL games so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some pretty decent content so far.

Nice to get opening game of NFL
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun 4 Sep:
    Mon 5 Sep:

most of Ireland can watch these live content on rte2 for free on saorview or basic sky subscription
  • Options
    dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This page: http://www.skysports.com/watch/tennis-on-sky
    shows Tokyo 500 and Shanghai Masters tennis in October simulcast on Sky Sports Mix and then the Vienna 500 on Sky Sports Mix only.

These are the first tennis tournaments that Sky have the rights for following the channel's launch.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    Rich1977 wrote: »
    Some pretty decent content so far.

Nice to get opening game of NFL

Was surprised to see this as that's an NBC game with the Super Bowl match up. So a popular game and worth recording.

Expecting the next 8 Thursday games to be on Mix as those are the ones you can watch for free globally on Twitter as a stream. Could well show the London games and Super Bowl as well given they are also on BBC.
  • Options
    scardisscardis Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    ftakeith wrote: »
    Sun 4 Sep:
    Mon 5 Sep:

most of Ireland can watch these live content on rte2 for free on saorview or basic sky subscription
    Yes, but we now get the choice as to who to listen to analyse and commentate.
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich1977 wrote: »
    As a Virgin customer I have to say I'm (presently) surprised by the news considering we still don't have Sky Atlantic. I imagine the main aim of the channel is promotional so to encourage people to take up the full Sky sports package.

I would also guess that they won't let BT have it for youview.

Yep, spot on mate, this is a pure bait FTA channel by Sky, just like when they show the odd NFL game on Sky Two or Pick.

Funny thing is, the more you see of Sky, the less appealing it is, their NFL coverage is awful and I remember I once had Sky Movies free for a week, years ago, and wondered how anyone was dumb enough to pay a sub for the same movies repeated on a loop for a whole week.

Maybe Sky customers are brainwashed, who knows.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Yep, spot on mate, this is a pure bait FTA channel by Sky, just like when they show the odd NFL game on Sky Two or Pick.

Funny thing is, the more you see of Sky, the less appealing it is, their NFL coverage is awful and I remember I once had Sky Movies free for a week, years ago, and wondered how anyone was dumb enough to pay a sub for the same movies repeated on a loop for a whole week.

Maybe Sky customers are brainwashed, who knows.

Sky Cinema has the biggest library of on demand movies by a long distance in the UK. They also screen almost all the latest Hollywood blockbusters many, many months before you'll see them anywhere else (unless you rent or buy the titles individually) - sometimes years before anyone else. And we now get a new movie premiere every day. They've also been working to improve the video and sound quality for all HD viewers by reacquiring the source material and making significant improvements to the way they process it for viewers. And the movies they currently offer in UHD are absolutely stunning to watch.

These are the facts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scardis wrote: »
    Yes, but we now get the choice as to who to listen to analyse and commentate.

Good point

If Ronnie Whelan is commentating on serbia v ROI on rte2, its SSMix
  • Options
    steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The test is now running promos with the sky sports mix logo in the corner with 6 days to go below it.

With the days to go below the logo I wonder if this is a sign that it is about to launch on the EPG at some point today

The promos also say it will be on channel 407
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The test is now running promos with the sky sports mix logo in the corner with 6 days to go below it.

With the days to go below the logo I wonder if this is a sign that it is about to launch on the EPG at some point today

The promos also say it will be on channel 407
    It's now launched on the Sky EPG.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Just put the channel on and there was a promo for NFL Redzone starting on there on the 11th September. Fantastic news if true, a full 7 hours of NFL every Sunday in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Sky Cinema has the biggest library of on demand movies by a long distance in the UK. They also screen almost all the latest Hollywood blockbusters many, many months before you'll see them anywhere else (unless you rent or buy the titles individually) - sometimes years before anyone else. And we now get a new movie premiere every day. They've also been working to improve the video and sound quality for all HD viewers by reacquiring the source material and making significant improvements to the way they process it for viewers. And the movies they currently offer in UHD are absolutely stunning to watch.

These are the facts.

The real facts are Sky Cinema is a huge waste of money. Most of the new films are poor and the vast films have been on terrestrial TV many times over.

Back on topic is Sky Sports Mix on Now TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The real facts are Sky Cinema is a huge waste of money. Most of the new films are poor and the vast films have been on terrestrial TV many times over.

I don't see why it would be, it's merely showing coverage off the main Sky Sports channels.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're the one who told us it was!
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    Just put the channel on and there was a promo for NFL Redzone starting on there on the 11th September. Fantastic news if true, a full 7 hours of NFL every Sunday in HD.

Fantastic news if they do this every week.
    I would rather watch this than the live games, with all their interruptions.

The guy who presents this is amazing, 7 hours non stop every Sunday during the regular season. I guess though he has good analysts feeding him all the stats through his ear piece.
  • Options
    WillButcherWillButcher Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought you already had it confirmed via the Now TV live chat that it would be, or did you make that up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Fantastic news if they do this every week.
    I would rather watch this than the live games, with all their interruptions.

The guy who presents this is amazing, 7 hours non stop every Sunday during the regular season. I guess though he has good analysts feeding him all the stats through his ear piece.

Can't argue with any of that. Even if he is getting stuff fed to him, he does a good job in holding 7 hours of live TV together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you already had it confirmed via the Now TV live chat that it would be, or did you make that up?

I will check when I get home today