Options

HD channels we still need.

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
I have Sky HD again on (yet) another offer, although it amounts to having tp pay £38 in my next bill and then getting the Family pack for £24 a month thereafter and having to have it for 12 months as well. So plenty of time to hope more HD channels launch as we still need a few more I think, too many shows in SD that could be in HD,

Yesterday - Shows a lot of what would be otherwise HD content in its schedule such as "Great British Railway Journeys" & "Coast" in amongst the SD only repeats and classic sitcoms.

Gold - has a lot of newer content in amongst all its repeats, if Gold HD existed, the new Rebel series and any new sitcom they make would be in HD (they must make these shows in HD yet I think are also in SD even on Sky Catch Up on demand), quite a lot of other newer programmes they repeat would be as well, such as Outnumbered, Miranda, Mrs Browns Boys, newer My Family, Come Fly With Me and everything else from about the past 8-10 years, as well as some things that were done on film, which would also include pretty much all films they show, the idea of Gold HD was dismissed because they wouldn't have enough to show, now they probably would have quite a lot.

Drama HD - There's a fair bit here too.

Perhaps we should also have Comedy Central Xtra HD, H2 HD, Discoverry Science HD, Discovery History HD & Pick HD.

The only new HD channels this year have been CNN HD & Boomerang HD, it has been very slow recently yet I think there is some more HD potential yet to go.

+1 channels don't appear much anymore either, H2+1 & Drama+1 could potentially be ones.

Comments

• Options
    arrasarras Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I certainly think that the Documentaries section needs beefing up HD-wise, maybe Investigation Discovery HD or Discovery Science HD. But the undeniable trend away from live TV may manifest itself in the form of greater on demand HD content, while not necessarily translating into live broadcast HD channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    arras wrote: »
    I certainly think that the Documentaries section needs beefing up HD-wise, maybe Investigation Discovery HD or Discovery Science HD. But the undeniable trend away from live TV may manifest itself in the form of greater on demand HD content, while not necessarily translating into live broadcast HD channels.

Yes agree like to see those, note there is a Science HD in the US, as well as a H2 HD.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    I have Sky HD again on (yet) another offer, although it amounts to having tp pay £38 in my next bill and then getting the Family pack for £24 a month thereafter and having to have it for 12 months as well. So plenty of time to hope more HD channels launch as we still need a few more I think, too many shows in SD that could be in HD,

Yesterday - Shows a lot of what would be otherwise HD content in its schedule such as "Great British Railway Journeys" & "Coast" in amongst the SD only repeats and classic sitcoms.

Gold - has a lot of newer content in amongst all its repeats, if Gold HD existed, the new Rebel series and any new sitcom they make would be in HD (they must make these shows in HD yet I think are also in SD even on Sky Catch Up on demand), quite a lot of other newer programmes they repeat would be as well, such as Outnumbered, Miranda, Mrs Browns Boys, newer My Family, Come Fly With Me and everything else from about the past 8-10 years, as well as some things that were done on film, which would also include pretty much all films they show, the idea of Gold HD was dismissed because they wouldn't have enough to show, now they probably would have quite a lot.

Perhaps we should also have Comedy Central Xtra HD, H2 HD, Discoverry Science HD, Discovery History HD & Pick HD.

The only new HD channels this year have been CNN HD & Boomerang HD, it has been very slow recently yet I think there is some more HD potential yet to go.

+1 channels don't appear much anymore either, H2+1 & Drama+1 could potentially be ones.

H2 HD is on Virgin

I would like Spike HD
  • Options
    kevj61kevj61 Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    We could do with a few music channels in HD. As I notice MTV Live HD has recently left.
  • Options
    kevj61kevj61 Posts: 185
    Forum Member

You forgot Nick Jr HD ( replaced MTV Live HD)
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    kevj61 wrote: »
    We could do with a few music channels in HD. As I notice MTV Live HD has recently left.

MTV Live HD has only left Sky, it is still on Virgin
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    MTV Live HD has only left Sky, it is still on Virgin
    Sort of..
    Sky used to show the Uk & Ireland version of the channel. That shut down a few weeks back.
    Virgin show the Euro version.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD seems to be so slow for more channels to broadcast it most stuff seems to be moving over to on demand or over services such as Netflix :(
    the new channels all seem to be for Ireland to.
    I would like really channel to be HD to.
    travel channel is another one I like.
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    Fox News HD, Discovery Science HD, Travel Channel HD, Al Jazerra English HD
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    Maybe email/tweet those channels and ask them if they've any plans to start HD broadcasts? After all, it's up to them, not Sky...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Harshad wrote: »
    Fox News HD, Discovery Science HD, Travel Channel HD, Al Jazerra English HD

And yet you can find Al Jazeera English in HD live on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEmqvVPOX4

And also Sky News in HD whilst on satellite it's a pay channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

And interestingly for me Saudi 1 which normally needs Hot Bird reception - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALydA58qX7A

Al Jazeera English has HD on Astra 1 & Hot Bird, hopefully it will be added to Astra 2 at some point as CNN has recently done.
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky2 in HD would be a great addition and surely within Sky's control.