The Last Enemy?? Has it been shelved?

2»

Comments

• KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with it on iPlayer. Not bad. As others have said, the first 30-45mins was a bit confusing but, as with all these shows, you have to basically ignore the first show (even though it will have loads of clues, it will have plenty of non-clues as well!) and just get to understand the main protagonists...

Well, I think I know who the good guy is! And that's about all!

By the way, I'm typing this message using the keyboard...

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched this. Starting pretty pants and almost gave up, but I quite enjoyed it in the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised what did irritate me about the computer sequences.

The voices. Just so "War Games"...

K
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen it on Iplayer as I was away last weekened.

As others have said, it's a slow starter which wants to be the next State of Play (or Enemy Within). Ity's not that good yetm, but I'm happy to give it a chance since there is so little home-grown intelligent drama these days and the subject matter deserves attention.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the first episode - couldn't even be arsed to give it the time of day on iplayer.

Now I've started the second episode on iplayer - 6 mins in I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Or shall I just stick with a repeat of Judge Judy...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with all these 'conspiracy' things, if you're not prepared to give it 110% of your attention, then you probably won't get anything from it! If you missed episode1, you'll probably get all the background you need here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lastenemy/

K
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    As with all these 'conspiracy' things, if you're not prepared to give it 110% of your attention, then you probably won't get anything from it! If you missed episode1, you'll probably get all the background you need here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lastenemy/

K
    Ah well the chances of me giving any TV show 110% of my attention are non existent so I'll give it a miss and rewatch my DVD of State of Play - still can't quite work everything out despite having watched it many, many times! Plus State of Play is full of charismatic actors whereas this new thing is a bit low on the charisma front.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Skylight* wrote: »
    I missed the first episode - couldn't even be arsed to give it the time of day on iplayer.

Now I've started the second episode on iplayer - 6 mins in I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Or shall I just stick with a repeat of Judge Judy...?

I watched the second episode and am still scratching my head over "what the heck is it all about?" kind of thing. It's all very strange but I'm sticking with it only because Benedict Cumberbatch is such a good actor. The only other revelation for me is that we got to know more about Robert Carlyle's character, and why he has such an interest in what's going on.

It's a very odd kind of drama though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I've watched the first two episodes of this and find it to be one of the worst-made UK thrillers ever! It's soooo patronising and condescending to the viewer and I can't help thinking if this had been a joint US/UK production it would be miles better. My enjoyment of it is constantly being spoiled from the cliched dialogue to the annoying supposed futuristic computer noises that accompany every single electronic device. Why does anything electrical have to have stupid little bleepy-squelchy noises on it? Even the casts mobiles have stupid bleepy ringtones on them, it's as if the programme-makers' sound department is staffed by 8-year-old boys with a casio keyboard they got for Christmas.

This is just one of the many annoying things about this programme; as mentioned before why does everyone use a computer in exactly the same way - furious typing of every key, no use whatsoever of the mouse. Hardly any of the show is based in reality (unless of course by reality you mean anything slightly Orwellian), I can't for a second believe that Benedict Cumberbatch's character would immediately fall into bed with his dead brother's widow on the first night of meeting her or even having knowledge of her existence. Oh yeah, and don't get me started on the fact that every single TV is tuned to BBC News 24, I find a future where that is possible a lot more frightening than a totalitarian state annoying voiced-based computers.

I just pray that over the shows 5 episodes that I will be rewarded for my viewing with a cracking ending that is actually plausible and not just some stupid twist for the sake of making it seem interesting and clever. I think that Benedict Cumberbatch could have done so much better than this pile of tripe and so too could the BBC, I'd expect better in future!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's beginning to seem very reminescent of Enemy of the State, with Robert Carlyle in the Gene Hackman role.

I'm liking it a lot, I have to say. Of course it has it's flaws, but it's got a great cast and some interesting characters. I'm interested to see where it's going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    I've been enjoying this too. I have admit I wasn't keen during the first episode, but it's grown on me since then.

I don't particularly like Stephen or Yasmin or the annoying voice the computer has, but Michael's return is making things interesting and I do like Russell - well it's Robert Carlyle. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    sebright wrote: »
    I thought it strained credulity to breaking point when he ended up in bed with his brother's widow so quickly... :eek:

And what was he typing away so busily into the T.I.A. program--surely most of it would be mouse-driven?

Much of it would be mouse driven but as its a new system its likely the GUI is not ready. (its a Government System so its going to be late!) also ALL Industrial Stength databases have a query language - SQL which is supposedly a natural language interface. although its not. Scientists and technical people can get a lot more out of a database by typing SQL rather than using a WINDOZE interface.